Hamilton is a stud | The Boneyard

Hamilton is a stud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After one game, he is my new favorite Husky. He is so smooth and can do everything. I love that KO went back to him at the end of the 1st half after making a 3 and he nailed that 3 too. He's freshman year may go a lot like DeAndre's Junior year.

I don't think he is related to "Rip", but what the older man with Rip, Daniel's father?

Reaction Score
Sure is and he is so dynamic and can do everything well including rebounding and defense. Gotta love the kid. I hope he stays at least 2 years.

Reaction Score
If the blue and white squads all go pro i think he will be back here for one more year!

Reaction Score
I'm thinking we get 2 for him. Defenses will key on him leaving others open. Rather he be the one taking the shots.

Reaction Score
To me he has some Caron butler in him besides the post game. The way he rebounds and becomes a point forward with the ball. He is surely an exciting player that I hope we see here next year as the star leading to us championship number 6.

He seems like a man among boys sometimes on the floor. I use to get the same feeling from Caron.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To me he has some Caron butler in him besides the post game. The way he rebounds and becomes a point forward with the ball. He is surely an exciting player that I hope we see here next year as the star leading to us championship number 6.

He seems like a man among boys sometimes on the floor. I use to get the same feeling from Caron.
Not a bad comparison. Caron started his UConn career like a bat out a hell the first half of his freshman season. The team road on his back, then he struggled mightily the 2nd half of that first season through the first half of his sophomore one. I remember many criticizing him saying he was far from being NBA ready, while I kept on saying that he was a consistent jump-shot away from being a 2-and-done which is what happened. I kept on harping how his J went line-drive with little arc for a long spell and all he needed to do was put a little more air under it. I don't know who picked up on it...not implying it was my posts, but what the coaches saw from his play, but he began to put a little more air under his J and they begin to fall at an alarming rate and almost got us in -4 his sophomore season.

My point is DHam is starting out as a do-it-all type freshman who can fill it. He's going to have some monster games this season. I would not be shocked in the least if he ends up a 1-and-done if he strings a nice stretch of big time hoops at the end of the season. I hope he turns out to be a 2-and-done, but I doubt we get any more than that if not just one year. I'm going to enjoy him as long as he's here. I hope it's more than one.

Unlike the team that Caron joined his freshman year, this team has a big time scorer in Boatright, so the team does not have to rely on Hamilton's scoring. But he's close to the all around player that Caron was, though as you pointed out, 3drbass, Caron was a rare player who could bring his offensive game to the post when his outside game was failing him. DHam is not the post player Caron was, but the rest of his game is eerily similar (great handle, great J, good driver, good passer, sees the floor well, good rebounder and on and on). Caron was a stronger and bigger framed kid when he hit the scene. He was also a tad older (by 2 years I think), having to sit out a year in prep school and maybe another one year before that. He had some off-the-court troubles early on but matured leaps-and-bounds before he arrived due to some solid mentoring that continued under JC who considers Caron one of his sons. But I digress...

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
I really think that D-Ham, Purv, and Brimah all stay another year. That makes our 2 man recruiting class all we need. Think of that team.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
D. Ham is really showing the value of a 5 star type player.
Purvis, not yet.

Reaction Score
The true test for Hamilton will come when he has to try to score against some more athletic defenders with length, but I love his all-around game. When we see him against some better teams we'll get a better sense as to whether he's a poor man's Rip or a rich man's Denham Brown.

I was going to post yesterday that he was going to get burned on one of his lazy passes on the perimeter, and then he did. I suspect he'll correct that now. He looks to be a quick learner on the court.

Reaction Score
He seems to have no trouble shooting in traffic or with a hand in his face. It's only been 2 games but he's been very efficient and that pull up J from the free throw line is pretty.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Seems like the kind of guy you want taking shots when the game is on the line. If he has the ball in crunch time I would not be worried.

Reaction Score
At this point I'm already worried that he's going to be a one-and-done. He has all the tools and the smarts on the court to go with it. A freshman wing with his court vision, passing ability (and perhaps mostly importantly - his willingness to pass the ball) is amazing. Sure his defense can improve but that's how it is for all freshman.

All he needs is some experience.

Reaction Score
He plays within the game....doesn't try to do too much. Love that he looks to pass. His over the top dishes to Brimah are awesome. Couldn't be much happier with his performance so far. With his pedigree and NBA connections, I don't foresee him sticking around too long.

Last edited:

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
He is silky smooth. He is going to be Boat's sidekick this year and at times he will be THE guy when he's feeling it. Judging off his post game comments, he is starting to realize how much of a contributor he can be and how much we will need him to be this year

"I can't go out thinking I'm a freshman, I have to go out thinking I'm going to have a big impact for this team"

Reaction Score
I'm loving him too and I think and hope we can get 2 years from him. He is just miles ahead of almost all of the freshmen we've had. My favorite things about him are he can grab boards, and when he gets them he turns and takes off. He is rarely hesitant and I've rarely seen him get into bad situations from not being hesitant enough.

I think you can't undervalue instincts in basketball, ever. He seems to have excellent instincts even as a very green freshman, he can pass, he can handle, he can shoot, and he can help us bust zones with that FT line J. Every time the other team goes zone, I want to see him get that open middle J and crush it.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'm not quite ready to dub him one and done. He looks good, very good actually, and yet he seems young in his thought process...just a tick slow. That's not really much of a criticism in game 2. I'm very interested to see how he does against better competition. That said, he looks like he will be something special. It's a nice test to how quickly and well KO can coach high level talent.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The true test for Hamilton will come when he has to try to score against some more athletic defenders with length, but I love his all-around game. When we see him against some better teams we'll get a better sense as to whether he's a poor man's Rip or a rich man's Denham Brown.

I was going to post yesterday that he was going to get burned on one of his lazy passes on the perimeter, and then he did. I suspect he'll correct that now. He looks to be a quick learner on the court.
My wife and I made the same comments about those lazy passes and sure enough one did hurt UConn.

I second that observation about quick learner. You can see him probing defenses and making adjustments in his game to what they are doing. When he plays well he's an upgrade over the play of DD when DD played well. He has a better handle, is more confident, and assess teams better. This is not a dig on DD who was terrific in those games he played well. Just using a great player for comparison. I would be surprised if DHam was not more consistent in his games than DD.

Reaction Score
He looks to be Raylike.

Rip Hamilton on steroids... I liken his midrange game to Rips... He's automatic there IMO... It then stretches out to 3 point range... His ahead of Rip at the same stage in terms of development and age...

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Kid is on his way toward becoming special. He's a jack-of-all trades, can do it all... rebound, defend, pass, handle the ball, shoot. His pull-up jumper around the perimeter is really really special. Stops on a dime off the dribble, quick pull-up, and is deadly from that mid-range.

Enjoy him while he's here.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
He's not a loudmouth like that c**t hole Steve

Reaction Score
My wife and I made the same comments about those lazy passes and sure enough one did hurt UConn.

I second that observation about quick learner. You can see him probing defenses and making adjustments in his game to what they are doing. When he plays well he's an upgrade over the play of DD when DD played well. He has a better handle, is more confident, and assess teams better. This is not a dig on DD who was terrific in those games he played well. Just using a great player for comparison. I would be surprised if DHam was not more consistent in his games than DD.

Deandre dropped 27 and 10 against Iowa St. in the sweet 16 and 20 and 10 against Florida in the final four.

I really like Hamilton's play and I think his ceiling is higher than Daniels but I wouldn't call him an upgrade yet. I think he will get there, but he's not there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom