SG Hamidou Diallo (UConn Offer) | Page 37 | The Boneyard

SG Hamidou Diallo (UConn Offer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Has anybody asked OZ when, "he's coming to us". Maybe he's not familiar with the 20 min joke. Class would look great with HD, Powell, & WG added.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Has anybody asked OZ when, "he's coming to us". Maybe he's not familiar with the 20 min joke. Class would look great with HD, Powell, & WG added.

In his latest quote which I posted a few days ago he said no decision has been made just that he is coming. I forget the exact quote but it's a only a page back.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jermaine Samuels is considered a stud.

I am certain we can go back 1 month ago and read about Wenyen Gabriel's lack of skill and athelticism on this very site.
most on the boneyard (including myself) were hyped about the WG offer, look back at the thread. even before his meteoric rise, there was no discussion about a lack of skill or athleticism. you made that up.

also there is 1 post player in NE 2017 top 10, compare that to 2016... which is stocked with elite bigs (high d1, 7 of them over 6'8). You can make an argument that '16 is a uniquely loaded class though, but 2017 is far behind. samuels is barely a top 50 player while 2016 boast 3 top 25 prospects (gabriel, spellman,heron). unless samuels and two others grow 3+ inches that will stay the same.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
most on the boneyard (including myself) were hyped about the WG offer, look back at the thread. even before his meteoric rise, there was no discussion about a lack of skill or athleticism. you made that up.

also there is 1 post player in NE 2017 top 10, compare that to 2016... which is stocked with elite bigs (high d1, 7 of them over 6'8). You can make an argument that '16 is a uniquely loaded class though, but 2017 is far behind. samuels is barely a top 50 player while 2016 boast 3 top 25 prospects (gabriel, spellman,heron).

So is top 50 too low for us to bring aboard now?

Reaction Score
So is top 50 too low for us to bring aboard now?
not at all, thats not the discussion at hand though stairmaster. I said 2017 was weak and it is, upstater brought up samuels and that doesn't matter. its still weak compared to 2016.

Reaction Score
not at all, thats not the discussion at hand though stairmaster. I said 2017 was weak and it is, upstater brought up samuels and that doesn't matter. its still weak compared to 2016.
Samuels is ranked around 30 everywhere as well. that's not barely top-50

Reaction Score
Samuels has also been injured most of the summer so no evaluation on him or ranking on him is correct at this point.

Reaction Score
Samuels is ranked around 30 everywhere as well. that's not barely top-50
who cares my point still stands that only 1 player in the top 10 is over 6'8. thats no good and demonstratively worst than 2016. samuels isn't making or breaking the class here. neither MAL or waters are 5 star prospects come spring 2016.

Reaction Score

also there is 1 post player in NE 2017 top 10, compare that to 2016... which is stocked with elite bigs (high d1, 7 of them over 6'8). You can make an argument that '16 is a uniquely loaded class though, but 2017 is far behind. samuels is barely a top 50 player while 2016 boast 3 top 25 prospects (gabriel, spellman,heron). unless samuels and two others grow 3+ inches that will stay the same.

Just wondering, what is your major defect?

There are posts in the Gabriel thread saying he's like Facey or Ajou Deng, with less athleticism. There are people calling hima good regional player.

A quick search saw this as one of the top posts when I put the words Gabriel and quickness in there: "Gabriel is not a wing. He's basically only a PF at the next level, with length and motor but lacking the quickness, handle and instincts to play on the perimeter. He also takes forever to get his jumper off. Facey is the correct comparison for him."

Maybe you should stop being a know-it-all.

Reaction Score
Yes I do and I'm saying no need bringing up players who aren't coming here.

So don't ever talk about Ray Allen, either, because he's not coming here. Never mention anything on this board that has little to do with UConn. We can't talk about the strength of New England basketball even. Forbidden!!

Reaction Score
Did you just write that?

Yeah, by all means, let's continue bagging on lower ranked kids that eventually get offered by Kentucky, Duke and Kansas! Because we have superior basketball knowledge. We know how good they are when we see their 30 second videos.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Yeah, by all means, let's continue bagging on lower ranked kids that eventually get offered by Kentucky, Duke and Kansas! Because we have superior basketball knowledge. We know how good they are when we see their 30 second videos.

Nah. I just thought is was funny you called someone a knowit all.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
@superjohn what have you heard about Samuels? I remember us being in a good spot with him about a year ago.

Reaction Score
@superjohn what have you heard about Samuels? I remember us being in a good spot with him about a year ago.

He was quoted recently saying that he wants to play in the ACC, but the context of that was pretty vague. He had just spent several minutes talking about how much he liked Villanova, for instance. He's still very early, so to say we're definitely not getting him is pretty silly. I'm not saying he's coming here, but we're as much in on him as anyone else. I think he'd love a Duke/UNC offer, but I'm not sure either is coming.

Reaction Score

Hamidou Diallo, 6'4, Putnam Science CT, Class of 2017
Jonathan Givony

Strengths:
-Undersized for a SG, but has a terrific 6-10 ½ wingspan that allows him to play much bigger than his height
-Frame is underdeveloped (normal for a late-bloomer), but has decently wide shoulders that leaves room for optimism regarding his future physical development
-Tremendous athlete. Great first step. Extremely explosive vertically, either off one, or two feet.
-Extremely difficult to contain when operating downhill. Not just extremely athletic, but also highly aggressive navigating the court with long strides. Always in attack mode.
-Has decent footwork and is developing the ability to change directions with the ball
-Not afraid of contact at the rim. Drives straight into the teeth of the defense. 8.4 free throws per-40 at Nations
-Shows some touch throwing in floaters and pull-ups in the mid-range area
-Terrific potential defensively with combination of length, athleticism and toughness. Really gets after it. Moves feet well
-Late bloomer. Just turned 17. Has a lot of room to continue to improve

Weaknesses:
-Doesn't have great size (6-3 ¼ without shoes) for a shooting guard
-Frame has a long way to go (186 pounds)
-Skill-level is a major work in progress. A terror in transition, but not very effective in the half-court
-Lacks great advanced ball-handling skills. Dribble is high. Struggles to change speeds. Needs to improve off hand.
-Shot just 49% for 2-point range at UAA+Nations this summer
-Doesn't have a great feel for the game. Runs into brick walls. Makes questionable decisions. Clearly lacks experience, even more-so than most 17-years olds
-Anticipation skills are average. Doesn't rebound, block shots or get in the passing lanes at a high rate. Potentially due to lack of high-level experience
-Limited perimeter shooter. Shot just 24/95 (25%) from 3-point range at UAA+Nations games this summer. Shoots the ball with a questionable one-handed release. Has a lot of work to do on his mechanics and consistency
-Shot just 78/133 (59%) from the free throw line at UAA+Nations games this summer
-Needs to improve his ability to create for others. Almost a 1 to 2 assist to turnover ratio at UAA+Nations (27 assists, 46 turnovers)—very poor for a guard.

Outlook:Ultra-athletic shooting guard who hit a late growth spurt in the last few years that shot him from. Impressed with his physical tools and aggressiveness at Nations on both ends of the floor. Has had a very good summer that catapulted him into the national discussion as a potential McDonald's All-American level recruit in 2017. Will be interesting to see how his skill-level and feel for the game continues to evolve in the next few years.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3iX0URlKx
http://www.draftexpress.com

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
That assessment seems far less glowing than what we've been hearing. Doesn't phase me, but surprised me.

Reaction Score
CardiacAndre7 said:
I don't see how he is undersized for a 2. 6'3.5 without shoes equates to about 6'5 in shoes and will probably grow a bit more. just because he's not a 6'8 shooting guard like Andrew Wiggins should mean he is undersized

That's an NBA Draft site, so they are more projecting his pro potential for way down the line.

Reaction Score
If he grows to 6'4 barefoot he'll be the same height /wingspan of James Harden. Well have to wait a year to see if he reclassifies , but this kid sounds like an electric player on the floor ... Seeks contact as an unrelenting driver combined with swagger.

Reaction Score
The breakdown by Givony is awful. Inconsistent and repetitive as he says the same things in strengths and weaknesses and obviously as Cardiac said above, he is hardly undersized for a 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom