Gus Malzahn??? | The Boneyard

Gus Malzahn???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
During the 2007 season Malzahn emerged as one of the premier offensive coordinators in the nation, as Tulsa ranked 1st in the nation in total yards per game, ahead of Texas Tech and Hawaiʻi, and with a more balanced attack than both teams. The Golden Hurricane also ranked 3rd in the nation in passing and led their conference in scoring. Tulsa became the first team in NCAA history to have a 5,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard rusher and three 1,000-yard receivers in a single season.

Gus Malzahn is another good candidate... He was also the Offensive Coordinator at Auburn when they beat Oregon for the National Championship and was awarded a trophy for top coordinator that year!!

Reaction Score
That's good and all but if he leaves now he would have to pay ASU 700k. Not to mention The university will provide Malzahn and his family with a house and two cars; Malzahn will receive all revenue and rights associated with his radio and TV shows, while paying all expenses.

Reaction Score
I guess your right, but we deff need a big time coach, I'm getting tired of this team losing already... it's been almost 2 years of this crap!

Reaction Score
You just realized he's a good candidate? What we need is someone to be a Phil Knight for the football program. Elite football minds DO raise programs out of obscurity. Proven over and over and over.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
While I am all for considering alternatives, there is a reason Malzahn hasn't gotten a sniff from a big time program despite winning a national championship as OC at Auburn. He is dirty, as is Auburn. Auburn had to clean up post-Cam Newton and look what happened to them. UConn would be under NCAA investigation within 6 months of this dirtbag showing up on campus.

Reaction Score
While I am all for considering alternatives, there is a reason Malzahn hasn't gotten a sniff from a big time program despite winning a national championship as OC at Auburn. He is dirty, as is Auburn. Auburn had to clean up post-Cam Newton and look what happened to them. UConn would be under NCAA investigation within 6 months of this dirtbag showing up on campus.

Doesn't seem to matter to most here - Dirty, sleezy or immoral... Just WIN @ all costs!

Reaction Score
You just realized he's a good candidate? What we need is someone to be a Phil Knight for the football program. Elite football minds DO raise programs out of obscurity. Proven over and over and over.
Burton.

Reaction Score
he turned down $3 million w/incentives to coach vanderbilt. no way he comes here

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
burton doesn't have that kind of money. We need one of the Greenwich Hedge Fund Managers to adopt UConn. Most went to Ivy league schools, so they don't have a major conference team of their own.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I'd prefer David Cutcliffe. A top level OC/QB developer that has Duke at 5-1 right now. I'll repeat, Duke is 5-1.

Reaction Score
I'd prefer David Cutcliffe. A top level OC/QB developer that has Duke at 5-1 right now. I'll repeat, Duke is 5-1.

He is not going to jump from an ACC program to a Big East program. It has taken him a while to build that program, and he is still building. Jumping ship to UCONN would make zero sense. If anything, he will make the jump to a bigger conference.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
He is not going to jump from an ACC program to a Big East program. It has taken him a while to build that program, and he is still building. Jumping ship to UCONN would make zero sense. If anything, he will make the jump to a bigger conference.

Meh, he is at the worst program (historically speaking) in the ACC and has already failed at a school in a bigger conference. I guess I could see him gettin a Big 12 offer, but otherwise where would he go? I am assuming UConn would be willing to offer him $500k or more over what he makes today. If not, then yeah, I don't see it happening.

I just looked it up, and he is making $1.5-1.75M. Not gonna happen.

Reaction Score
Meh, he is at the worst program (historically speaking) in the ACC and has already failed at a school in a bigger conference. I guess I could see him gettin a Big 12 offer, but otherwise where would he go? I am assuming UConn would be willing to offer him $500k or more over what he makes today. If not, then yeah, I don't see it happening.

I just looked it up, and he is making $1.5-1.75M. Not gonna happen.

The $$$ is going to be a huge issue for any candidate we want to bring in. If Warde does fire Coach P (and not to start a riot, but I put the chance of him getting fired in the offseason at 5 %), the buyout will cause UCONN to look for a bargain.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
The $$$ is going to be a huge issue for any candidate we want to bring in. If Warde does fire Coach P (and not to start a riot, but I put the chance of him getting fired in the offseason at 5 %), the buyout will cause UCONN to look for a bargain.

I understand the position the school/AD is in, but if that is the approach, say goodbye to any thoughts of UConn football being big time ever. They have to see this thing through, and that means paying the coach if you hope to get anybody decent.

Reaction Score

He'll be replacing the Joker @ Kentucky before he comes here...

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
He'll be replacing the Joker @ Kentucky before he comes here...

Well, given his current salary at Duke, I think it would be a pipe dream to get him anyway. UConn ain't paying somebody $2+ million.

Reaction Score
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If thats the case UConn will get what they already have ( a tired retread) and we will be stuck at this level forever! Sooner ( hopefully) or later Uconn is going to have to bite the $$$ bullet. Do it now Warde please.

Reaction Score
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If thats the case UConn will get what they already have ( a tired retread) and we will be stuck at this level forever! Sooner ( hopefully) or later Uconn is going to have to bite the $$$ bullet. Do it now Warde please.

They are not going to get an established head coach that was or is from a big conference. But they can get a young head coach from a lower level, or an O or D coordinator at a higher level.

Believe me, I want UCONN to spend a ton of money. But there is no money to spend, and there is not alot of boosters who would kick in.

Reaction Score

He would be making the jump to the Big East as a Head Coach not an OC/QB, so he would be in charge of a team instead of an offense... That's a better situation for him, but I'm not interested in him coming here anyway

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Cutcliffe is a good coach and excellent with quarterbacks. He doesn't recruit well though and needs someone to do that for him. I remember when he was at Ole Miss and heard he hated recruiting but loves coaching.

Reaction Score
I think malzahn could work here. His wife has completely ruined his chances of coaching in the SEC most likely, but their conservative devout nature could play better up here, anyway. I tend to think he's a bit of a pipe dream, but his wife is a big enough demon in his closet that we might have a shot.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Cutcliffe is a good coach and excellent with quarterbacks. He doesn't recruit well though and needs someone to do that for him. I remember when he was at Ole Miss and heard he hated recruiting but loves coaching.

Lots of coaches are like that. Also didn't help that it is tough as hell to recruit to Ole Miss (same story at Duke as well). I'll give him a pass on recruiting if he could bring in one of his southern cronies to take the recruiting lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom