Guru - Some will Check BirthDates when Recruiting | The Boneyard

Guru - Some will Check BirthDates when Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I believe Collier will be eligible to leave a year early.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I enjoy Mel's blog but slightly confused by this "But there could be an impact in recruiting on the women’s side in that perhaps birthdates may be part of the research process".
How long has the rule-If you turn 22 in WNBA draft year you are eleigible- been in place? Didn't Parker in 2008 use this same rule to leave before her NCAA eligibility was up? In 2009 Prince could not go straight to WNBA-same rule? I just don't see how paying attention to birth certificates is something new for coaches to pay attention to.

Reaction Score
I enjoy Mel's blog but slightly confused by this "But there could be an impact in recruiting on the women’s side in that perhaps birthdates may be part of the research process".
How long has the rule-If you turn 22 in WNBA draft year you are eleigible- been in place? Didn't Parker in 2008 use this same rule to leave before her NCAA eligibility was up? In 2009 Prince could not go straight to WNBA-same rule? I just don't see how paying attention to birth certificates is something new for coaches to pay attention to.

Parker did not need this rule, she had been in school 4 years and she already had her degree. mm

Sorry to just jump in with no introduction. I usually just read, but for once, I felt sure of my facts.

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Still don't know why Lobo tweeted about Loyd so early. ( She was the first to raise a question at the FF.) Was Rebecca just speculating, or did she hear something through the grapevine?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Still don't know why Lobo tweeted about Loyd so early. ( She was the first to raise a question at the FF.) Was Rebecca just speculating, or did she hear something through the grapevine?
I imagine she heard something.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Parker did not need this rule, she had been in school 4 years and she already had her degree. mm
Sorry to just jump in with no introduction. I usually just read, but for once, I felt sure of my facts.
No apologies required MicVol. Thanks for jumping in. Your facts about CP are correct. As I understand the rule "degree competion" on how many years a player has spent on campus is not a factor for WNBA draft eligibility. My understanding of the rule is simply this: Does the player reach her 22nd birthday before the end of the calendar year in which the draft is conducted. My theory is that this rule has been in place for a while therefore coaches and recruiters "should" have been paying attention to birth certificates all along and not just now that two players have decided to take advantage of the old rule.

Reaction Score
No apologies required MicVol. Thanks for jumping in. Your facts about CP are correct. As I understand the rule "degree competion" on how many years a player has spent on campus is not a factor for WNBA draft eligibility. My understanding of the rule is simply this: Does the player reach her 22nd birthday before the end of the calendar year in which the draft is conducted. My theory is that this rule has been in place for a while therefore coaches and recruiters "should" have been paying attention to birth certificates all along and not just now that two players have decided to take advantage of the old rule.
I did understand the point you were making and I certainly agree. The rules for draft eligibility as I understand are as follows:

• Is at least 22 years old during the calendar year of the applicable season
  • Has completed her intercollegiate basketball eligibility
  • Has graduated from a four-year college or university
  • Or has played at least two seasons for another professional basketball league

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

It had been speculated about well before Lobo mentioned it. She may have been the first major media member to bring it up. She was saying that she thought Loyd would come back, so I doubt she had any real info besides that Loyd knew about the rule and was considering her options.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I did understand the point you were making and I certainly agree. The rules for draft eligibility as I understand are as follows:

I think it's only one season removed from college/playing overseas... Epip's situation

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think it's only one season removed from college/playing overseas... Epip's situation
No - it is your 'class' - she left after her junior year spent the winter overseas and was eligible because her class was eligible/her age made her eligible.

I just don't think most women take college as cavalierly as the men do and even with the foreign money the enticement is not likely to be that great for a long time. I think coaches will pay attention to a star player on their team that fits the 22 rule, but highly doubt it will effect who they recruit originally.

Much more of an issue is the Parker/Tuck situation where after missing a year, degree in hand, will a player leave early or choose graduate school. And it will continue I think only to effect the very top end of the women's game - if you aren't likely to go in the top half of the first round, your WNBA career is not all that much of a sure thing that you bet on it over getting a degree and one more year of preparation.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
It had been speculated about well before Lobo mentioned it. She may have been the first major media member to bring it up. She was saying that she thought Loyd would come back, so I doubt she had any real info besides that Loyd knew about the rule and was considering her options.
That's true, I forgot about that. What you wrote makes sense, only that I had never seen any speculation before Lobo's tweet. Maybe the boneyard is slipping.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

Just to clarify - you left out what another poster mentioned, if your class is scheduled to graduate you are eligible (i.e. after 4 years out of high school) regardless of your remaining eligibility and age; also technically, "on track to graduate" works for "has graduated"; of course this only comes into play when someone is graduating / on track to graduate in less than 4 years.

The NCAA sends a letter to players explaining both who is eligible as well as explaining what a player can do that will not affect their ability to come back, which I just perused.

Among players who could have gone to the W and didn't (returned for a 4th year) were Cappie Pondexter and Tamika Johnson? the pg from LSU.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Just to clarify - you left out what another poster mentioned, if your class is scheduled to graduate you are eligible (i.e. after 4 years out of high school) regardless of your remaining eligibility and age; also technically, "on track to graduate" works for "has graduated"; of course this only comes into play when someone is graduating / on track to graduate in less than 4 years.

The NCAA sends a letter to players explaining both who is eligible as well as explaining what a player can do that will not affect their ability to come back, which I just perused.

Among players who could have gone to the W and didn't (returned for a 4th year) were Cappie Pondexter and Tamika Johnson? the pg from LSU.

Monique Curry could have left after 4 years, but she returned. She missed a year with an ACL injury

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
This would apply to lots of players, I can imagine. Basically anyone born in the early part of their class - i.e. August-December, would turn 22 the year of the draft. I can't imagine it's going to affect that many players, honestly. Unless you are a sure-thing top 3 pick, I don't see the point in leaving early. (unless there are mitigating factors...injury prone, don't get along with coach, etc)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Won't Natalie Butler be in the position to opt out of her senior (eligibility) year?
Yes, as it will for Tuck, or any other transfer or player who lost a year to injury.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm betting that Diamond goes after 2 years at Tennessee.

I'm betting and hoping that Natalie and Napheesa stay for their full eligibility.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm betting that Diamond goes after 2 years at Tennessee.

I'm betting and hoping that Natalie and Napheesa stay for their full eligibility.
And Tuck?!

One thing with the transfer/injured 5 year players at Uconn - because of Senior Night and Geno saying we only do this stuff for a player once - the chance of a Jewel type surprise at the end of an NC game is a lot less likely unless they want to forgo their night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom