Griner's Dunk | The Boneyard

Griner's Dunk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Griner fan here.People need to stop judging her and let her play do the talking.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I look for Griner to leave Phoenix once her contract is up. Yesterday after she dominated in the first half against the Lynx her teammates could not find a way to pass her the ball and the guards were shot-happy. The Phoenix PGs went a combined 1-10 from the floor with a combined 2 assists. I MISS DT!

Brondello has said she "doesn't want the team to rely too much on Griner." Imagine if Reeve had the same attitude about Maya or if Pokey had the same attitude about EDD.

Reaction Score
I agree with Brondello not wanting the team to rely too much on Griner. I think they still need to learn to feed her the ball inside and look for her, but how many teams get a championship by having their center carry the team? They need to have fantastic guards as well. Maya and EDD have guard like skills; Griner is a pure center. It reminds me of Tina Charles on the SUN, she was fantastic and carried the team every game but it didn't get the SUN a championship.

This is just my opinion, obviously :cool:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I agree with Brondello not wanting the team to rely too much on Griner. I think they still need to learn to feed her the ball inside and look for her, but how many teams get a championship by having their center carry the team? They need to have fantastic guards as well. Maya and EDD have guard like skills; Griner is a pure center. It reminds me of Tina Charles on the SUN, she was fantastic and carried the team every game but it didn't get the SUN a championship.

This is just my opinion, obviously :cool:

You never want to rely too much on anyone, but that mentality has trickled down to the guards thinking that it is not that important to get her touches and there are stretches where she is nothing more than a pick-setter.

But you are right that guards win championships, but it helps if they play smart and use all of the tools on the team. This team does not d0 that. DT was the perfect mix of dominating and also getting BG involved.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Just keep in mind that the guards that they are depending on are Currie, Mitchell, Xargay and Quinn. If I had my druthers, I would rely more on Griner and less on any of these guards.

Reaction Score
You never want to rely too much on anyone, but that mentality has trickled down to the guards thinking that it is not that important to get her touches and there are stretches where she is nothing more than a pick-setter.

But you are right that guards win championships, but it helps if they play smart and use all of the tools on the team. This team does not d0 that. DT was the perfect mix of dominating and also getting BG involved.
I agree. Not involving her is definitely not the answer. And DT does a great job of setting up other players, including BG. DT is missed.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
rolling thru the paint, rise and slam down with authority against the Mystic

I found it interesting that she did not acknowledge the passer as might be the custom. But she did acknowledge herself after the basket. By the way, how many points was that basket worth?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I found it interesting that she did not acknowledge the passer as might be the custom. But she did acknowledge herself after the basket. By the way, how many points was that basket worth?
dont understand your point, SHE did the dunk... no one else.

I guess you dont like BG and/or dunking... thats fine. that DUNK was nasty

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
thanks... I saw it on WNBA.com and couldnt find it anywhere else to capture a link or embed it

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I'd love for you to share multiple examples of that custom.

You are correct, I'll never find multiple examples of that custom on Griner dunks.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
dont understand your point, SHE did the dunk... no one else.

I guess you dont like BG and/or dunking... thats fine. that DUNK was nasty
Not really.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It was quite a dunk. I think that Griner's dunking may deter others in the WNBA from trying to dunk as they know that they would be compared to her. Big Syl may be the exception as I have seen her throw one down with two hands.

Reaction Score
Nice find by the guard. Underwhelming dunk by a 6'8" player. Where was the defense by the way?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
There has never been a dunk made by a female..... in the whole history of dunkdom that has been exciting. Someone call me when women start doing reverse dunks.... cradle dunks.... dunking in the face of multiple players and so on.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
It was quite a dunk. I think that Griner's dunking may deter others in the WNBA from trying to dunk as they know that they would be compared to her. Big Syl may be the exception as I have seen her throw one down with two hands.

Not to be rude, but seriously? Would making seven three-point shots in a game deters others from shooting? Would making spin moves in transition deter others from trying, knowing they would be compared to Andrea Stinson in the 2002 All Star Game?

If a professional athlete achieves something, it motivates other professional athletes to improve their own performances...and to be better than the person who accomplished the initial feat.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Not to be rude, but seriously? Would making seven three-point shots in a game deters others from shooting? Would making spin moves in transition deter others from trying, knowing they would be compared to Andrea Stinson in the 2002 All Star Game?

If a professional athlete achieves something, it motivates other professional athletes to improve their own performances...and to be better than the person who accomplished the initial feat.
2002... damn your memory is sharp or do you write this stuff down in a notebook?

Reaction Score

Is there a type of HGH that makes you grow TALLER??

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Great to see an Andrea Stinson reference. Straight up scoring machine..... one of my favorite non-Duke players to watch... and a former Charlotte Sting :cool:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
2002... damn your memory is sharp or do you write this stuff down in a notebook?

Thank you for the compliment. My memory is actually that good.

It was the 2002 All Star Game. Occurred early in the second half (right after Ticha Penicheiro passed it off the backboard to Tina Thompson, which would have been an amazing scoring play had Tamika Catchings not broken it up).

Reaction Score
Thank you for the compliment. My memory is actually that good.

It was the 2002 All Star Game. Occurred early in the second half (right after Ticha Penicheiro passed it off the backboard to Tina Thompson, which would have been an amazing scoring play had Tamika Catchings not broken it up).

What color were her sneakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69