Griner suspended by USA Basketball for prior domestic violence incident | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Griner suspended by USA Basketball for prior domestic violence incident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can any action be more immoral or against the US Constitution than this?? It's beyond double Jeopardy it triple quadruple.
How many times must a US citizen pay for the same incident (maybe crime)?? This situation isn't even covered by the 10 Commandment (without a long stretch of the imagination). If she fights with a player on the court ---kick her out of BB, if she swears at a Ref suspend her, if she swears at her mate tell her she's a fool.
This is USA Women's basketball professionals all--time to stop the high school BS--and play the game. Bet your life the Russian or Chinese aren't dumping their top players with suspensions!!!

I think Geno missed a bet not taking Nurse with him ---we could offer her dual citizenship and she could play for either or both teams.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Can any action be more immoral or against the US Constitution than this?? It's beyond double Jeopardy it triple quadruple.
How many times must a US citizen pay for the same incident (maybe crime)?? This situation isn't even covered by the 10 Commandment (without a long stretch of the imagination). If she fights with a player on the court ---kick her out of BB, if she swears at a Ref suspend her, if she swears at her mate tell her she's a fool.
This is USA Women's basketball professionals all--time to stop the high school BS--and play the game. Bet your life the Russian or Chinese aren't dumping their top players with suspensions!!!

I think Geno missed a bet not taking Nurse with him ---we could offer her dual citizenship and she could play for either or both teams.

Who would Nurse replace on the USA squad ?

Reaction Score
If you grew up with the filth and ostracizing that came at BG because she was tall and had a deep voice, and if it followed you into every gym you played in, and onto every court you played on from at least some of the players. And then if many refs discounted the blatant physical assault on you during play because you were bigger, you might just occasionally lash out as a young person still learning their way. That there is only one recorded instance of that happening 7 years ago is pretty impressive in terms of BGs self control.

On the domestic abuse - two friends getting into a fight (male/male or female/female) is not an uncommon occurrence and nobody cares and society doesn't get into a twist over the 'violence' as long as no serious injury occurred. If it is men, its just boys will be boys, if its women, it gets labeled 'cat-fight' and the video gets millions of 'hits' on the internet. But turn it into a 'same sex couple' and it immediately becomes 'domestic abuse' and everyone wants punishment and to keep it alive, and label one of the two participants as the abuser - Johnson and Griner are not that physically dissimilar and both are elite athletes - this is not a 250 pound muscle man beating on a 150 pound weakling or a 120 pound woman.

As an aside - I was the first kid in my town and age group to have long hair - the abuse I got was pretty amazing from both age group and folks a lot older than me, and at a young age I had a really hard time handling it - and it was a personal choice I had made. I cannot imagine what it must be like for minority kids, or for the physically non-conforming, or for the mentally non-conforming kids who have no choice in the matter. It was ugly for me, it must be ten times worse for them.

USA BB is wrong in every regard--Triple or Quadruple Jeopardy and against the US Consititution. You are soo right UC Miami==REAL thinking about what is truly right not politically PC right.
Interesting thing---Most kids if asked could present you with some sort of Discrimination or damnation --it's how you handle the discrimination--my father handled it with humor and it worked mostly--only rarely did he have to kick their butts.
But that was when you could kick someone's butt without getting the police involved. America has not evolved it has dissolved in some regards.

Reaction Score
Who would Nurse replace on the USA squad ?
That's one to be left to the readers imagination--like imagining Nurse on the USA squad but to me that present a great exercise of the mind.

Reaction Score
Interesting thing---Most kids if asked could present you with some sort of Discrimination or damnation --it's how you handle the discrimination--my father handled it with humor and it worked mostly--only rarely did he have to kick their butts.
But that was when you could kick someone's butt without getting the police involved. America has not evolved it has dissolved in some regards.
Johnny Depp as Whitey Bulgar in Black Mass, being a parent to his son, teaching lessons about the son getting in trouble in school for beating up another kid who stole his pencil or something: "Good boy, Dougy.... You didn't get in trouble for punching that kid. You got in trouble for punching that kid in front of everyone..... If nobody sees it, it didn't happen."

upload_2015-10-1_12-11-44.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh... truss, it's been activated![/QUOT
I'm relatively new to the Boneyard---But I can't find that Ignore Button anywhere. Seems like a great idea--wish other blogs would have it too.
It's not on my laptop --I looked in the rules section and back through other postings and haven't seen it or even where it eas used last---
I probably could have used it with this comment!!!

Reaction Score
Johnny Depp as Whitey Bulgar in Black Mass, being a parent to his son, teaching lessons about the son getting in trouble in school for beating up another kid who stole his pencil or something: "Good boy, Johnny (?).... You didn't get in trouble for punching that kid. You got in trouble for punching that kid in front of everyone..... If nobody sees it, it didn't happen."
Whitey is an American Anti Hero--taught his son a good lesson to defend himself and not be pushed around--a forgotten concept. Remember a crime is not a crime unless someone sees it. A concept perfected in Washington DC, it's the American way!! The significant point is everything does not have to be resolved by police intervention or the actions of the courts--no other country has so many locked up in jails as the USA--why? Because that which can be resolved between or among peoples is now handled by the police. And there you have why so many American are criminals--because they are not!! Police are being run ragged trying to arrest, charge, write up complaints--no wonder they shoot when they shouldn't.

Reaction Score
Johnny Depp as Whitey Bulgar in Black Mass, being a parent to his son, teaching lessons about the son getting in trouble in school for beating up another kid who stole his pencil or something: "Good boy, Dougy.... You didn't get in trouble for punching that kid. You got in trouble for punching that kid in front of everyone..... If nobody sees it, it didn't happen."

View attachment 10697
Good movie --bad comment!! Do you believe any dialog spoken in movies actually happened?? I have a bridge in Brooklyn I need to sell quickly. I'll await your offer.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
BISweet - the reason we have so many people and such a large percentage of the population behind bars is that about 40 years ago we went all 'law and ordery' and decided:
1. That minimum sentencing guidelines were a good idea, and took all discretion out of the hands of judges.
2. Created 'three-strike' laws that put people away for life for in many cases pretty minor offenses.
3. Created a 'war on drugs' that decided that long prison stretches were a good thing for non-violent criminals, and pot was the same type of drug as heroin, and that rehabilitation and addiction management was just a wasted effort, and that recreational quantities were felony offenses.
4. Supported a policing change that escalated minor problems with overreaction, and created a bureaucratic management of police and a patrol car mentality instead of a community based system. And have continued by militarizing police forces in part because we seem to be unable to restrict possession of military grade weaponry in the general population.
5. In effect criminalized poverty and minorities and created a two tier justice system by underfunding court appointed lawyering, and treating wealthy/white/suburban crimes differently from others.
6. Privatized prison systems turning them into corporate profit centers with an ever expanding need for 'clients', and a strong lobbying arm to insure the same, and a strong financial incentive to promote recidivism.

I'm sure I have missed a few in that list, but ...

Very little of the prison population has anything to do with over-reaction to people settling minor issues without involving the law. Civil case loads perhaps, but not prison population.

(Golly, I am looking forward to the season and having lots of basketball to discuss!:))

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Hmmm. Interesting conversation but not suited for this particular board. If the conversation can get back to the Op topic specifically then fine. If it continues in this general political opinion vein then it will need to be locked.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hmmm. Interesting conversation but not suited for this particular board. If the conversation can get back to the Op topic specifically then fine. If it continues in this general political opinion vein then it will need to be locked.
Sorry.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I suspect that the next news about that incident will be that BG has completed her domestic violence course and that all charges will be dropped. Hopefully at that point everyone can just focus on her basketball.

Reaction Score
I suspect that the next news about that incident will be that BG has completed her domestic violence course and that all charges will be dropped. Hopefully at that point everyone can just focus on her basketball.
We need to tell ESPN stops posting any personal news about BG, then we will have a peace.

Reaction Score
We need to tell ESPN stops posting any personal news about BG, then we will have a peace.
An Olympic athlete being suspended from her Olympic training camp is "sports" news, no?

Reaction Score
An Olympic athlete being suspended from her Olympic training camp is "sports" news, no?
If relating to Olympic, yes, it is sporting news.
If it is her fight with her wife, or her wife's pregnancy with other person, that is personal news.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Let's face it, Griner is the biggest name in the game...ESPN is going to talk about her. But I will make a call to ESPN to see what I can get done.

Reaction Score
Let's face it, Griner is the biggest name in the game...ESPN is going to talk about her. But I will make a call to ESPN to see what I can get done.
Oh... you are a really nice person......

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
"aint hap'nen captain"

Reaction Score
Watching different videos of the same incident doesn't really qualify of "watching videos of BG punching people in college," which implies that there were multiple incidents. I am not defending that incident but I do take issue with someone trying to make things appear worse than they really are. You lose credibility when you do that.
You are correct I have worded my reference to the Texas Tech player Jordan Barcastle getting punched in the face poorly, there are many videos posted of that incident. I should have specified that person not "People".

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
How would you feel if your were put on unpaid leave from your job for three months because some weekend you were stopped for driving under the influence, or you had a fender bender and the guy you hit started punching you and you defended yourself and you both ended up in jail.

I think it depends on the context. If I work on a farm or in a retail establishment (or fill in the blank), that's one thing, and I would agree with your point. But if I am employed in law enforcement, or I'm a drug and alcohol counselor, that's entirely different, and a job suspension or some other sanction might be appropriate.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think it depends on the context. If I work on a farm or in a retail establishment (or fill in the blank), that's one thing, and I would agree with your point. But if I am employed in law enforcement, or I'm a drug and alcohol counselor, that's entirely different, and a job suspension or some other sanction might be appropriate.
I agree that there are certain jobs where the responsibilities assigned in interaction with the public are such that general 'character' issues are important and come with the territory - daycare worker and primary/secondary teacher being probably the most 'sensitive'. But athletes do not in my mind rise to that level. We are not entrusting our children or our own safety to their judgement. And I think the whole 'role model' thing gets overblown to include private lives - we have no serious problem with anti-heroes in fictional representation - see above re Whitey Bulger!

Reaction Score
I agree that there are certain jobs where the responsibilities assigned in interaction with the public are such that general 'character' issues are important and come with the territory - daycare worker and primary/secondary teacher being probably the most 'sensitive'. But athletes do not in my mind rise to that level. We are not entrusting our children or our own safety to their judgement. And I think the whole 'role model' thing gets overblown to include private lives - we have no serious problem with anti-heroes in fictional representation - see above re Whitey Bulger!

upload_2015-10-2_10-39-56.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger