Griner suspended by USA Basketball for prior domestic violence incident | The Boneyard

Griner suspended by USA Basketball for prior domestic violence incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I don't understand this. Does this mean that she is traveling to Europe but will not be allowed to participate at the beginning? That hardly seems like much of a punishment.
"The suspension will start once Griner is in camp."

I am surprised that they did not release details of the length of the suspension.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I guess they did kind of release the details. They said that she would miss the same percentage of training camp that she missed of the WNBA season, which was 7 games. So she is essentially going to miss a quarter of the week of training camp, so about 2 days?

Reaction Score
I don't understand this. Does this mean that she is traveling to Europe but will not be allowed to participate at the beginning? That hardly seems like much of a punishment.
"The suspension will start once Griner is in camp."

I am surprised that they did not release details of the length of the suspension.
No, if we don't get the 2016 Olympic gold medal it will definitely be because BG missed 2 days of training camp in October, 2015

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I still have a little issue with this idea that first we punish people in the law courts and then we have to additionally punish them in their work place. I get that domestic violence is a big deal, I am not trying to diminish its severity, but ... this becomes a little bit of an issue of double jeopardy to me - in BGs case triple jeopardy.

And lets face it - what happened between BG and her partner was a fight and had little in common with the horrors of domestic violence. That classically goes on for years and years and destroys both women and their children. We are so sensitive to this issue that we conflate everything we see into a mountain.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I still have a little issue with this idea that first we punish people in the law courts and then we have to additionally punish them in their work place. I get that domestic violence is a big deal, I am not trying to diminish its severity, but ... this becomes a little bit of an issue of double jeopardy to me - in BGs case triple jeopardy.

And lets face it - what happened between BG and her partner was a fight and had little in common with the horrors of domestic violence. That classically goes on for years and years and destroys both women and their children. We are so sensitive to this issue that we conflate everything we see into a mountain.

I agree. How many times does a person need to be punished? Who's next to punish her, the Russian league?

Reaction Score

I disagree. This is not double jeopardy, she violated the WNBA and team USA's code of conduct. They are holding her accountable for HER actions and behavior. In my opinion Team USA went easy. Her performance on and off the court gets a tons of media attention. Her conduct is a direct reflection of her judgement and character. Thus, why should the agencys she willingly represents not hold her accountable? If they didnt they would be sending a terrible message. I have seen videos on Youtube where BG has punched people on the court in college. What is it going to take to get this woman to change her behavior? Doing nothing is not the solution, holding her accountable and getting her help is.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I disagree. This is not double jeopardy, she violated the WNBA and team USA's code of conduct. They are holding her accountable for HER actions and behavior. In my opinion Team USA went easy. Her performance on and off the court gets a tons of media attention. Her conduct is a direct reflection of her judgement and character. Thus, why should the agencys she willingly represents not hold her accountable? If they didnt they would be sending a terrible message. I have seen videos on Youtube where BG has punched people on the court in college. What is it going to take to get this woman to change her behavior? Doing nothing is not the solution, holding her accountable and getting her help is.
And that is exactly the issue I have - these 'codes of conduct' for employees outside their workplace and when they are not actually employed during the off-season. I think we have gone overboard with our 'holier than thou' attitude to athletes.
I had no issue with the NCAA punishment for actions on the court, nor do I have any issue with the off court rules (grades, etc.) for college players.
I just think we are trying to correct the ills of our society on the backs of athletes, and in the case of WNBA athletes, very poorly paid ones.
How would you feel if your were put on unpaid leave from your job for three months because some weekend you were stopped for driving under the influence, or you had a fender bender and the guy you hit started punching you and you defended yourself and you both ended up in jail. Because that is what we are doing to professional athletes at this point. Ray Rice was not fined or imprisoned by our legal system, but his employer took something around $2M dollars of his pay and tried to double it based on 'public option' in a true double jeopardy situation.
And just as a separate point, I do not believe that USA Basketball has a 'code of conduct' for players when they are not actually part of a team, and I am pretty sure the WNBA didn't have a defined 'domestic abuse' policy on the books at the time of this incident, and again I believe the incident was before the season/training camps started. They just made it up when it occurred.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Watching different videos of the same incident doesn't really qualify of "watching videos of BG punching people in college," which implies that there were multiple incidents. I am not defending that incident but I do take issue with someone trying to make things appear worse than they really are. You lose credibility when you do that.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

And I think that your "punching kitty" shows that you have a latent tendency for violence. :)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Watching different videos of the same incident doesn't really qualify of "watching videos of BG punching people in college," which implies that there were multiple incidents. I am not defending that incident but I do take issue with someone trying to make things appear worse than they really are. You lose credibility when you do that.
some people just don't like BG and they'll continue to watch her every move

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
some people just don't like BG and they'll continue to watch her every move

And she seems to have great moves throwing punches at women.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
Please stop quoting me in your silliness....

I don't believe the women she hit thought it was silliness. I think they thought it was serious.

She is a great player. But her flaws are also great.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Is there a block button on this site... geesh

Reaction Score

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
If you click my avatar and look at the top right corner, there is an ignore button.

Griner is very skilled and one of the best players in the world today. But I have a very hard time defending her when she has this great character flaw. She can put this behind her. But it means not physically assaulting other women for a while. I wish her the best.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Is there a block button on this site... geesh

DC, there is an "Ignore" button and it works beautifully. It is probably the main reason that I am still on this board as it has allowed me to avoid those who generally have nothing but negative comments. One of the great things in life is that we get to choose the type of people we allow in our lives, and I commend the BY staff for providing that same option. I suspect that a few folks have me on "Ignore," as well.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If you grew up with the filth and ostracizing that came at BG because she was tall and had a deep voice, and if it followed you into every gym you played in, and onto every court you played on from at least some of the players. And then if many refs discounted the blatant physical assault on you during play because you were bigger, you might just occasionally lash out as a young person still learning their way. That there is only one recorded instance of that happening 7 years ago is pretty impressive in terms of BGs self control.

On the domestic abuse - two friends getting into a fight (male/male or female/female) is not an uncommon occurrence and nobody cares and society doesn't get into a twist over the 'violence' as long as no serious injury occurred. If it is men, its just boys will be boys, if its women, it gets labeled 'cat-fight' and the video gets millions of 'hits' on the internet. But turn it into a 'same sex couple' and it immediately becomes 'domestic abuse' and everyone wants punishment and to keep it alive, and label one of the two participants as the abuser - Johnson and Griner are not that physically dissimilar and both are elite athletes - this is not a 250 pound muscle man beating on a 150 pound weakling or a 120 pound woman.

As an aside - I was the first kid in my town and age group to have long hair - the abuse I got was pretty amazing from both age group and folks a lot older than me, and at a young age I had a really hard time handling it - and it was a personal choice I had made. I cannot imagine what it must be like for minority kids, or for the physically non-conforming, or for the mentally non-conforming kids who have no choice in the matter. It was ugly for me, it must be ten times worse for them.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
DC, there is an "Ignore" button and it works beautifully. It is probably the main reason that I am still on this board as it has allowed me to avoid those who generally have nothing but negative comments. One of the great things in life is that we get to choose the type of people we allow in our lives, and I commend the BY staff for providing that same option. I suspect that a few folks have me on "Ignore," as well.
Oh... truss, it's been activated!

Reaction Score

Very well put. Salute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger