Georgios Papagiannis (No College - Playing Pro Overseas) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Georgios Papagiannis (No College - Playing Pro Overseas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Travis was incredibly underrated as a player. Averaged 9 and 9 back to back years on loaded teams as the fourth or fifth option. Using soph year numbers to compare Amida and Travis is very misleading. For one, Travis's job was essentially to give fouls. The theory was that Travis and the Big E had 10 fouls to give and they should use all of them. Offensively, soph year Travis was the fifth option and basically just took jump shots as we didn't post up at all in those days, at least w/ the 5 man. A better comp will be the per40 junior years. Pure skill, Travis was a better player.

I'm not talking about Knight's career. This is specifically about where they were as sophomores. Knight's junior and senior years were great. As a senior his per40 numbers were 14.6 points, 14.8 rebounds(!), 3.2 blocks, 52% shooting. Brimah will never hit the boards as well as Knight did at UConn (very few have), but comparing like-to-like seasons, Brimah is clearly further along than Knight was.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I do appreciate the "biases" seriously because that bothered me. You guys disagreeing with me seriously does not bother me, this is after all a discussion board for opinion. But the other comment - that's BS

I like Amida as said in other posts I hope he shoves it so far up the crow comes out. But need to see it. I think he gets better next year automativally with Miller on the other side and an experienced DHam there too!

Nobody's arguing that he doesn't need to get better. But I think (and I don't mean any offense) that over the past year or so, there's been some prejudice against this year's team when comparing them to Calhoun's players. I heard quite often that "most of these guys would never see the court under JC", and that none of them except for Boat and maybe DHam would fit on the 1998-99 roster. I don't necessarily think that all of our players are at the same level that we used to have in the 90s and 00s, but players weren't automatically better just because Calhoun recruited them and they played on a Calhoun team.

Reaction Score
Ok you're right? My bad...:rolleyes:

It's all about the stats.heck then Emeka must not have been as good either until his junior year because he didnt win until then?

I don't even know what this means. I didn't say anything about winning, though UConn was a terrific team every year Emeka was on the team. Also, he was a great player every year, and his numbers back that up.

Stupid.....it's about the player not always the numbers. look what Travis had around him, he was rarely an offensive option until his senior year, Amida WAS this year.

Knight wasn't an offensive option as a sophomore because he was incredibly turnover prone, was so foul prone that he couldn't stay on the floor, and lacked any finishing ability. As a 7-footer, he shot 44% from the floor. That's terrible. He got a lot better, but as a sophomore, he was a pretty lousy player. He got a LOT better as a junior, and then even better as a senior, but that's not what we're talking about here.

Reaction Score
I don't even know what this means. I didn't say anything about winning, though UConn was a terrific team every year Emeka was on the team. Also, he was a great player every year, and his numbers back that up.

Knight wasn't an offensive option as a sophomore because he was incredibly turnover prone, was so foul prone that he couldn't stay on the floor, and lacked any finishing ability. As a 7-footer, he shot 44% from the floor. That's terrible. He got a lot better, but as a sophomore, he was a pretty lousy player. He got a LOT better as a junior, and then even better as a senior, but that's not what we're talking about here.

44% is terrible? He was a jump shooter and challenged to "finish". I know that the alley oop is an offensive play and would be called a finish but he didnt get many of those against skilled defensive teams. Take away that play (I like it and he and DHam have a thing) and he is really challenged to finish anything offensively. Granted you can't take away from the fact he can get alley oops and finish them, but he can't even begin to face the basket or even square for a jump hook vs a physical guy. Knight was there too but the reason his TO's may have been higher is because they went through their bigs off the high post a lot so he saw the ball a hack of lot more than Brimah. I mean if anyone in their right mind believes they'd rather have Amida with the ball as a soph than Trivs, well they're not watching the game too well that's for sure. Amida is as of now a TIO waiting to happen. Get me the stats on how many touches each got during the year then we can make that claim?

Reaction Score
44% is terrible? He was a jump shooter and challenged to "finish". I know that the alley oop is an offensive play and would be called a finish but he didnt get many of those against skilled defensive teams. Take away that play (I like it and he and DHam have a thing) and he is really challenged to finish anything offensively. Granted you can't take away from the fact he can get alley oops and finish them, but he can't even begin to face the basket or even square for a jump hook vs a physical guy. Knight was there too but the reason his TO's may have been higher is because they went through their bigs off the high post a lot so he saw the ball a hack of lot more than Brimah. I mean if anyone in their right mind believes they'd rather have Amida with the ball as a soph than Trivs, well they're not watching the game too well that's for sure. Amida is as of now a TIO waiting to happen. Get me the stats on how many touches each got during the year then we can make that claim?

I'm not going to do your research for you. The stats very clearly demonstrate that sophomore Brimah was worlds better than sophomore Knight. If you want to stick your fingers in your ears about it, that's on you.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to do your research for you. The stats very clearly demonstrate that sophomore Brimah was worlds better than sophomore Knight. If you want to stick your fingers in your ears about it, that's on you.

They can't be - he wasn't.

Research away you won't have me no matter what you come up with. I watched them both every game. Agree to disagree! My fingers are in my ear yours were obviously over your eyes Bruce. But have fun, you clearly know more than I.:eek:

Reaction Score
They can't be - he wasn't.

Research away you won't have me no matter what you come up with. I watched them both every game. Agree to disagree! My fingers are in my ear yours were obviously over your eyes Bruce. But have fun, you clearly know more than I.:eek:
Not to pile on, but I think it's very likely that you are attributing Knight's junior and senior years to his entire career. If you approached any person about this subject, and had them look at these stats, you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who would say that Knight was a better player than Brimah (again, during their sophomore years).
Capture.PNG

Reaction Score
Not to pile on, but I think it's very likely that you are attributing Knight's junior and senior years to his entire career. If you approached any person about this subject, and had them look at these stats, you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who would say that Knight was a better player than Brimah (again, during their sophomore years).

Only if people do not know the teams which were playing, the minutes which were allowed and the 2 guys we speak of. Travis was not required to do as much as AB, OBVIOUSLY, but hey I need to argue with apples to apples here right? Travis was not expected to do as much as AB am I correct? Yet to be honest his minutes were very important to this team and he got better every year, something short of what AB has done. You actually need to understand the team, the situations etc etc.....I watched them. Travis was really good when he came in on a very talented team. Everyone has an argument here, but Travis right now will eventually be a better player than our AB - easily! He has a long way to go to catch Knigjhts game

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Only if people do not know the teams which were playing, the minutes which were allowed and the 2 guys we speak of. Travis was not required to do as much as AB, OBVIOUSLY, but hey I need to argue with apples to apples here right? Travis was not expected to do as much as AB am I correct? Yet to be honest his minutes were very important to this team and he got better every year, something short of what AB has done. You actually need to understand the team, the situations etc etc.....I watched them. Travis was really good when he came in on a very talented team. Everyone has an argument here, but Travis right now will eventually be a better player than our AB - easily! He has a long way to go to catch Knigjhts game

So Brimah didn't improve at all between his FR and SO years. I love it!

Reaction Score
So Brimah didn't improve at all between his FR and SO years. I love it!

Show me where I said that? C'mon bring that up?

Here's where he improved and where he didn't. You want biases? I think some are yours Stair guy don't always throw them my way.

He is a better shot blocker - yep I agree.

Is he a better basketball player - defensive obligations, hedging and positioning, understanding where to be? NO

Better back-to-the-basket offensive player? No chance, can't square for a simple jump hook or much else.

Better defender off the ball - absolutely NOT. Never in good position to beat people or even his guy to the ball.

Better rebounded on either end - NO no shot he's awful really for a 6'10 guy who has a 7'2 wingspan should own the boards but really has no idea where the rebound will come from nor when the shooter is actually shooting so he can begin the box out .

Besides all of that, I guess he improved - alley oops and things like that. That will win a lot of NC's huh? But again, you guys got it all set LOL

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Show me where I said that? C'mon bring that up?

Here's where he improved and where he didn't. You want biases? I think some are yours Stair guy don't always throw them my way.

He is a better shot blocker - yep I agree.

Is he a better basketball player - defensive obligations, hedging and positioning, understanding where to be? NO

Better back-to-the-basket offensive player? No chance, can't square for a simple jump hook or much else.

Better defender off the ball - absolutely NOT. Never in good position to beat people or even his guy to the ball.

Better rebounded on either end - NO no shot he's awful really for a 6'10 guy who has a 7'2 wingspan should own the boards but really has no idea where the rebound will come from nor when the shooter is actually shooting so he can begin the box out .

Besides all of that, I guess he improved - alley oops and things like that. That will win a lot of NC's huh? But again, you guys got it all set LOL

"and he got better every year, something short of what AB has done"

I trust sophomore year AB more than freshman year AB.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The intensity here made me consider not commenting. But, anyway..
Brimah has more athleticism along with his shot-blocking ability.
I honestly can't remember Knight's sophomore season and tend to see him as the finished project.
If Brimah fails to develop, Knight will be the better center.
Sophomore to sophomore, Brimah was clearly more important to his team.

Reaction Score

I agree with everyone arguing against you, sophomore Brimah was better than sophomore Knight. With that said I'm definitely enjoying your rants. I have to point out that UConn won a NC directly because Brimah was able to get an offensive rebound and 1.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I don't see what the big deal is - neither I nor anyone else compared Knight after 4 years to Brimah after 2. This is strictly about analyzing their sophomore seasons head-to-head.

Reaction Score
I agree with everyone arguing against you, sophomore Brimah was better than sophomore Knight. With that said I'm definitely enjoying your rants. I have to point out that UConn won a NC directly because Brimah was able to get an offensive rebound and 1.

My only wish every day is to entertain Gringo. Glad I could be there for you!;)

Reaction Score
I don't see what the big deal is - neither I nor anyone else compared Knight after 4 years to Brimah after 2. This is strictly about analyzing their sophomore seasons head-to-head.

But what's the point? Brian Fair and Rash Jones's soph year stats are better than Purvis.

There's such a weird vibe w/ Amida on this board. There are those who love to attack him at all costs and then those who live to defend him.

Reaction Score
But what's the point? Brian Fair and Rash Jones's soph year stats are better than Purvis.

There's such a weird vibe w/ Amida on this board. There are those who love to attack him at all costs and then those who live to defend him.

I don't think it's unfair to say that Amida has some serious warts. He's frustratingly inconsistent, and he's a pretty huge liability as a rebounder. But people who act like he didn't improve from freshman to sophomore year (and for some, that he actually regressed) are disconnected from reality. What actually happened is that people built up unreasonable expectations for him, and then when he met more reasonable expectations, they treated him like a failure. End of the day, this is a still a relative basketball novice who was lightly recruited, and we've turned him into a key player on both offense and defense. Say what you want about his consistency, but the guy averaged nearly double-digit points on 67% shooting, and he maintained his sensational block rate while cutting his foul rate by 36%. His rebounding still needs work, and it will probably never be particularly good, but Brimah has been an overachiever since coming to UConn, and I get pretty annoyed when people act like he's terrible, for example terrible enough to be compared to sophomore Travis, who was a bad player pretty much across the board.

Reaction Score
This ^^^

Rebounding's important obviously, but I never saw Brimah becoming a scoring threat not cutting down his fouls by a third in one season. I guess for me he surpassed my expectations. I feel like he's coming along just fine. Granted I wouldn't BANK on the rebounding thing figuring itself out - and they'll need to add a body with a nose for the ball to be safe - but I don't see him anywhere near a failure.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
While we are talking about Brimah, make sure to pronounce it Br-eye-mah like they do in Ghana. I was corrected quite severly for pronouncing it like Br-ee-mah over here. Also, a chale (cha-lay) never hurts either. It's like saying hey, yo dude and what's up all rolled into one.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's unfair to say that Amida has some serious warts. He's frustratingly inconsistent, and he's a pretty huge liability as a rebounder. But people who act like he didn't improve from freshman to sophomore year (and for some, that he actually regressed) are disconnected from reality. What actually happened is that people built up unreasonable expectations for him, and then when he met more reasonable expectations, they treated him like a failure. End of the day, this is a still a relative basketball novice who was lightly recruited, and we've turned him into a key player on both offense and defense. Say what you want about his consistency, but the guy averaged nearly double-digit points on 67% shooting, and he maintained his sensational block rate while cutting his foul rate by 36%. His rebounding still needs work, and it will probably never be particularly good, but Brimah has been an overachiever since coming to UConn, and I get pretty annoyed when people act like he's terrible, for example terrible enough to be compared to sophomore Travis, who was a bad player pretty much across the board.

I get it... Amida has his great and poor points. But the comparison was just dumb, imo. You compared a guy who played tons of minutes on a mediocre team to a guy who played 12mpg on a loaded team. In retrospect, did you want Travis taking some of the shots that the pros on that team took? That team was loaded - KO, Sheffer, Donny, Donyell, Ray, Brian Fair. In those years we hardly ever posted our 5's as they were screeners for our wings coming off curls. Travis and Hayward were supposed to be warm bodies to give fouls, play positional D, and grab some boards. They gave us 6, 7, and 2 blocks and almost 5 fouls in 28 mpg. Pretty solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom