Georgios Papagiannis (No College - Playing Pro Overseas) | The Boneyard

Georgios Papagiannis (No College - Playing Pro Overseas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is probably a longshot, but we were after 7-1 Greek Center Georgios Pagiannis before, who had some ties to Maryland. With Stone to Maryland, has anyone heard anything about Big Georgios?

I believe there was some talk about him signing overseas and not coming to the States, but in tweeting with recruiting guru Brian Flinn, he mentioned that Georgios may still be available and UConn is in the mix.

For a number of reasons this doesn't seem likely, but if the stars align, he could be the big we're all praying for. NBA potential.

Reaction Score
Last I had seen, it looked like a longshot he would come back to the states. I'd love him at UConn though. Before he went to play in Greece, he was rated as a five-star prospect, and likely has an NBA future.

My ideal summer wish-list is Shonn Miller, Georgios Papagiannis, and a wing/guard who can handle and shoot. Maybe someone like Adam Smith. I'd be happy with any one of them, but I'll be greedy and say we should get all three.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Have heard and read that he is going pro in Greece and will not be coming to the states. I was hoping he was a late pick up but that ship has sailed.

Reaction Score

Oregon seems like the favorite based on the article, but you never know.

Sources tell DuckTerritory.com N.C. State, UCONN, St. John's, LSU, and Arizona are schools also recruiting Papagiannis at this time. Prior to heading back to Greece Maryland, Penn State, Pitt, Rutgers, Temple, and St. John's had offered scholarships in July of 2014.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Somebody had to do it

upload_2015-4-8_18-15-32.png

Reaction Score
The tos guys do not think he will play college basketball

Reaction Score
If they can get him to campus for a visit, make sure they take him to the Greek Community Center and Church on Dog Lane (behind Storrs Center). UCONN does have a traditional Greek community and Orthodox church that most other Universities do not. He won't be finding that in Oregon. It could help put us over the edge. St. John's would be the other school I would worry about as that have a very large Greek community that surrounds that area of Queens. Greek immigrants tend to relocate to major US cities that have large Greek populations (NYC, New Jersey, CT, Boston, Chicago, Tampa Bay). From my experience, I would be very surprised if he went to Arizona or Oregon.

Reaction Score
If they can get him to campus for a visit, make sure they take him to the Greek Community Center and Church on Dog Lane (behind Storrs Center). UCONN does have a traditional Greek community and Orthodox church that most other Universities do not. He won't be finding that in Oregon. It could help put us over the edge. St. John's would be the other school I would worry about as that have a very large Greek community that surrounds that area of Queens. Greek immigrants tend to relocate to major US cities that have large Greek populations (NYC, New Jersey, CT, Boston, Chicago, Tampa Bay). From my experience, I would be very surprised if he went to Arizona or Oregon.

Maybe they could also round up some campus talent who are down to 'go greek' if you follow me

Reaction Score

He won't be finding Nike $$ in Storrs though... Advantage Oregon.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
A little update on Papagiannis.

Greek 7-Footer Georgios Papagiannis Could Make Decision Soon

I've read that most people believe he will eventually sign to play professionally and won't go to college. Speculation is that his handlers are using the threat of going to college as leverage in the negotiations for a professional contract.

This coupled w/ the other comments that he would most likely be one and done has me convinced this kid is not even worth thinking about.

Reaction Score
This coupled w/ the other comments that he would most likely be one and done has me convinced this kid is not even worth thinking about.
I agree. And with Brimah here is he really going to be interested in UConn? I'm sure if he goes to college he's picking a school where he is absolutely guaranteed to be the starting center and getting 35 minutes a game.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I agree. And with Brimah here is he really going to be interested in UConn? I'm sure if he goes to college he's picking a school where he is absolutely guaranteed to be the starting center and getting 35 minutes a game.

Ya exactly what I was thinking.

Reaction Score
While the Greek pro leagues would have been a good option for him in the past, the economy is roiling the sports leagues there and making life difficult. Don't be surprised if he ends up stateside. He won't be protected playing in other Euro leagues outside Greece, which makes a college landing spot more viable, for a year.

Reaction Score
While I could see these 2 guys in the game on occasion, I doubt we're his best option although I'd love to see him in Storrs. Have a feeling the other guy would prefer him not to, he may take a lot of minutes away!

Reaction Score
If he can get more than 4 freaking rebounds per game , he has no reason to "fear" Brimah already being here

Reaction Score
Lol at any kid being scared of brimas presence, if that's the case I wouldn't want him anyways.
Well in fairness, UConn fans would be less scared because we've seen Brimah for 2 years and understand his limitations and everything he needs to work on. Someone from the outside sees a junior who was just AAC Defensive Player of the Year and is on most NBA mock drafts for 2016. That would scare away most centers who want to play a lot this coming season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom