Gray Again | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gray Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Joint research ventures. All of a sudden Yale wanted to do research with us. What do you think made us more attractive? But if the AAU is at its heart a lobbying organization, and they are, then having a school on board that has tapped in a new source of funds while others are drying up makes sense. IMO

Ahhh, that makes sense.

Reaction Score
Ahhh, that makes sense.

When you read the article from Inside Higher Ed., the logic seems to be that the AAU is about to go belly up. If the era of federal funding for research is over, then there is no AAU.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
When you read the article from Inside Higher Ed., the logic seems to be that the AAU is about to go belly up. If the era of federal funding for research is over, then there is no AAU.
What's the connection Up? Do AAU schools get the lionshare of fed funding? And if so, isn't this just another cartel that would have to take a step back to give us a slice?

Reaction Score
What's the connection Up? Do AAU schools get the lionshare of fed funding? And if so, isn't this just another cartel that would have to take a step back to give us a slice?

As for cartels and lobbying, I think that was answered with Citizens United. The AAU schools get 50% of all fed research dollars. With a shrinking pie, they are in no hurry to add more schools, though they can add some if they cull some others.

pj

Reaction Score
As for cartels and lobbying, I think that was answered with Citizens United. The AAU schools get 50% of all fed research dollars. With a shrinking pie, they are in no hurry to add more schools, though they can add some if they cull some others.

The AAU could expand its number of schools if that would increase lobbying clout more than it dilutes impact. They could add schools and get 55% of fed research dollars without compromising their mission. In fact if lobbying clout gets more important and being part of an exclusive club less important, they might well do that.

On the other hand, a shift away from federal research funds to other funding sources would imply that collaborations like the CIC would become relatively more important. E.g., if the state of Connecticut is funding research at UConn, there would be interest in researchers at Michigan, Ohio State, etc, in collaborating with UConn scholars to access that money. Even if the state money could only be used in Connecticut, it could be seed funding for the project that could be leveraged to get money from elsewhere. So many non-federal funding sources prefer to do matching funds or to join with other donors, rather than go it alone.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
About a year ago or so (whenever the $1.5 billion of state money for UConn STEM research was first announced - not yet approved), I believe there was an article or memo from within the AAU to member institutions that offered UConn as a model to get state funding/support for research because of the declining availability for federal research dollars.

We are on their radar at least.

Reaction Score
All I got to say is I sure hope this guy Gray is right. We as a fan base can really use some good news about now. If $1.5B is what it will take, I hope the state step up to the plate. If it is $2B or even $3B, I am sure the state can find it somewhere. This is about long term investment and be with like minded universities. B1G is where our peers are and we just need to get there somehow.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Ha! The article I mentioned was also mentioned in today's non-key tweets from Greg flugler friend.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...niversities-look-beyond-us-government-support

He cited the example of New York City’s investment in a new technology campus for Cornell University and the governor of Connecticut’s plan to dedicate $1.5 billion to growing the science, technology, engineering, and math programs at the state’s university system.

Reaction Score
A few things, first I recommend this internal paper from Binghamton Univ. on their roadmap to AAU, explains the criteria for being invited and references UConn. Also note their theme name "Go B1g on research; Becoming an international leader in STEM. It's like they were looking over Suzie H's shoulder and copying her paper.

http://www.binghamton.edu/president/road-map/proposals/RR1.pdf

There is this internal UConn peer evaluation from 2012 which reinforces that UConn is on the bubble for AAU. Only 3 schools on this list are 58 research and top 30 but not AAU. UConn, Va Tech and UGA.

http://www.oir.uconn.edu/UConn_Peer_Groups_October_2012.pdf

There is @Dooley s website which compares some key metrics against other AAU schools:

http://www.uconnfactorfiction.com/

And lastly a loop of message board chatter that started here in March of 2013 whe Ray Dunaway reported UConn would be in the AAU by end of the year. No doubt Dunaway and Gray meet for coffee on the weekends.

Thanks for the info about UConn Peers....

Surprised to find Florida State as a 58 with a Carnegie Very High Research rating....

Reaction Score
I am disappointed in Gray. Up to now I have avoided comment. It is unacceptable for him to "express"his thoughts in this manner. Now if his sources said that UCONN's BOT's are meeting Friday to vote on an invitation to xxx conference, I would call that acceptable

Reaction Score
A few things, first I recommend this internal paper from Binghamton Univ. on their roadmap to AAU, explains the criteria for being invited and references UConn. Also note their theme name "Go B1g on research; Becoming an international leader in STEM. It's like they were looking over Suzie H's shoulder and copying her paper.

http://www.binghamton.edu/president/road-map/proposals/RR1.pdf

There is this internal UConn peer evaluation from 2012 which reinforces that UConn is on the bubble for AAU. Only 3 schools on this list are 58 research and top 30 but not AAU. UConn, Va Tech and UGA.

http://www.oir.uconn.edu/UConn_Peer_Groups_October_2012.pdf

There is @Dooley s website which compares some key metrics against other AAU schools:

http://www.uconnfactorfiction.com/

And lastly a loop of message board chatter that started here in March of 2013 whe Ray Dunaway reported UConn would be in the AAU by end of the year. No doubt Dunaway and Gray meet for coffee on the weekends.

Wouldn't the key for Binghamton be to receive $1.5b from the state? The odd thing is that such a plan does exist for SUNY's flagship school Buffalo: https://docs.google.com/gview?url=h...ffalo-Billion-Investment-Development-Plan.pdf

The Buffalo Billion is headed by UB's president, and most of the money goes through UB's regional institute. This is mainly seed money for start-ups to open shop in a tax-free zone around the campus.

Reaction Score
I am disappointed in Gray. Up to now I have avoided comment. It is unacceptable for him to "express"his thoughts in this manner. Now if his sources said that UCONN's BOT's are meeting Friday to vote on an invitation to xxx conference, I would call that acceptable

I agree. I think it is inappropriate. I don't know how he gets away with it on the UConn Flagship Radio Station.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Gray has indicated that the ticket taker at the last football game told him that the B1G invite would be by the end of 2015. The "UConn Official" then urged him to please bring a non-forged ticket for next game, given the extremely low prices.
Unfortunately, the ticket taker is not a UConn Official. He's be scanning tickets next month at the USMNT soccer game next month too. UConn is a customer of Global Spectrum. The ticket scanner is an employee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom