Gray Again | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gray Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Is it crazy to believe that Gray has connections both at UConn or elsewhere? Reading his comment, he's relying on the UConn source, only for AAU information. The others are "other college athletics insiders" who say that his scenario...UConn to P5 is correct and his timing is wrong. I don't find this preposterous to believe at all, although it runs counter to the rule that all CR actions must kick UConn in the nuts. I will gladly take some news by late spring next year.

Reaction Score
Is it crazy to believe that Gray has connections both at UConn or elsewhere? Reading his comment, he's relying on the UConn source, only for AAU information. The others are "other college athletics insiders" who say that his scenario...UConn to P5 is correct and his timing is wrong. I don't find this preposterous to believe at all, although it runs counter to the rule that all CR actions must kick UConn in the nuts. I will gladly take some news by late spring next year.

I hope you're right, I really do. I'm clinging to any bit of hope at this point.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
catintinfoil.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Crazy? Not at all. Why would you ask?

Reaction Score
Gray has indicated that the ticket taker at the last football game told him that the B1G invite would be by the end of 2015. The "UConn Official" then urged him to please bring a non-forged ticket for next game, given the extremely low prices.

Reaction Score
The AAU chatter within the University is real. I've heard some of it myself from people on high. Unfortunately, it doesn't mean anything and there is nothing concrete. Its mostly speculation. Most of the senior members of the Administration know people at other AAU universities. One high placed source told me awhile back that Dr So-and-So (forgot the name) at Georgia Tech said that UConn is close and this person was hopeful that was a sign that UConn was in the discussion.

Does that make anyone feel better? I've been tracking CR closely since Day 1 -- with far too many fits and starts. At this point, until something concrete happens, it's not worth getting excited about.

CL82

Reaction Score
The AAU chatter within the University is real. I've heard some of it myself from people on high. Unfortunately, it doesn't mean anything and there is nothing concrete. Its mostly speculation. Most of the senior members of the Administration know people at other AAU universities. One high placed source told me awhile back that Dr So-and-So (forgot the name) at Georgia Tech said that UConn is close and this person was hopeful that was a sign that UConn was in the discussion.

Does that make anyone feel better? I've been tracking CR closely since Day 1 -- with far too many fits and starts. At this point, until something concrete happens, it's not worth getting excited about.
So you are saying will be in, like, in a few weeks?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
One high placed source told me awhile back that Dr So-and-So (forgot the name) at Georgia Tech said that UConn is close and this person was hopeful that was a sign that UConn was in the discussion.

Hopefully that discussion pre-dated the 1.5 Billion Stem grant announcement.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I have a source very close to UConn athletics and this person has told me several times that UConn to a P5 conference is a matter of when and not if. Didn't claim anything concrete, but cited that our goal is the B1G and that more than athletics are at play.

You can take that for what it is, but this person is closer to Warde and Susan than most of us here and certainly more so than West Virginia bloggers.

There are no super secret invites. Hanging on hope that we someday do get the call, but I've just started living as if the AAC is our longterm reality.

CL82

Reaction Score
I have a source very close to UConn athletics and this person has told me several times that UConn to a P5 conference is a matter of when and not if. Didn't claim anything concrete, but cited that our goal is the B1G and that more than athletics are at play.

You can take that for what it is, but this person is closer to Warde and Susan than most of us here and certainly more so than West Virginia bloggers.

There are no super secret invites. Hanging on hope that we someday do get the call, but I've just started living as if the AAC is our longterm reality.
I was feeling so good about this post...until the last sentence.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
CL82 said:
I was feeling so good about this post...until the last sentence.
It's the curb your enthusiasm line of thinking. There is no way that I can get my hopes up unless something is signed sealed delivered or conspiracy kitty says so.

Last edited:

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing. Gray says he has a contact inside UCONN "who is mildly concerned over AAU" and other college insiders claim that he's on the right track but doesn't have the timing right. UCONN officials have been on lockdown since prior to Louisville getting an invite into the ACC. While I would LOVE to buy into this "by the end of the academic year" guestimate, I just don't see anyone from UCONN feeding anything to anyone UNLESS they are trying to get the ACC to act sooner. One of the (silly) factors against UCONN in past ACC expansions has always been the thought that "UCONN will always be there to be added later". Well, if UCONN creates a whole slew of news that could entice another conference (B1G), then maybe that would get the ACC to act sooner.

I do think that there is an effort out there to try to pit the ACC against the B1G to add us as quickly as possible. Whether that is being done publicly or privately, I do think it's out there. Both Manuel and Herbst aren't blind - they can see the pathetic crowds at football games in the past few years and it's only getting worse. The $1.5B from the state could be a huge carrot to try to pit the two conferences against one another. Northeast expansion and market penetration is not complete without UCONN in the fold. Maybe not so much from a football perspective (right now) but definitely from a basketball, market, and academic perspective. The frustrating part for me is that I think football would explode once we're in a better conference. But it's a whole chicken/egg argument: UCONN fans want to see UCONN play against top teams that they've heard of or have a history of watching. But before we get there, UCONN needs to figure out a way to sell tickets NOW.

"UCONN needs to figure out a way to sell tickets NOW."

I've been a season ticket holder since the Rent opened, but $40 aint gunna get her done. $15-$20 for single games (and not as a package including Boise), free tickets for kids under whatever age would be a start....

Reaction Score
You can make fun of this, but when the FSU President, Eric Barron, wrote a memo stating the arguments for and against FSU moving to the Big 12, he mentioned the internet chatter. So they ARE reading this stuff.

"1. The information presented about the ACC contract that initiated the blogosphere discussion was not correct. The ACC is an equal share conference and this applies to football and to basketball -- there is no preferential treatment of any university with the exception of 3rd tier rights for women's basketball and Olympic sports. FSU is advantaged by that aspect of the contract over the majority of other ACC schools."

and

"I present these issues to you so that you realize that this is not so simple (not to mention that negotiations aren't even taking place). One of the few wise comments made in the blogosphere is that no one negotiates their future in the media. We can't afford to have conference affiliation be governed by emotion -- it has to be based on a careful assessment of athletics, finances and academics. I assure you that every aspect of conference affiliation will be looked at by this institution, but it must be a reasoned decision".

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...ida-state-president-eric-barron-acc-alignment

So if you are correct, they are reading your posts and concluding there is nothing to worry about here and let's move on.
Gee thanks.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
catintinfoil.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Crazy? Not at all. Why would you ask?
Conspiracy Kitty... Are you the source?!

PS : I'm curious how many gigs of the same CK pic are taking up room on @temery 's servers... Or is it the same one, repeated? :)

Reaction Score
So if you are correct, they are reading your posts and concluding there is nothing to worry about here and let's move on.
Gee thanks.
That doesn't even make sense.

Reaction Score
One thing I don't get about this...Scott Gray knows what UCONN fans went through in CR. He knows damn well we have been kicked square in the nuts VERY hard. Yet he continues to spew his BS about "UCONN is going to this conference on this date"..then his latest scoop. He should keep his "inside" info to himself until it is time to break it...when the ink is dry on the contracts. Until then he is now nothing more than CT's legitimate journalist version of The Dude and MH3

Reaction Score
Could someone be using Scott Gray to spread rumors in an attempt to get the ACC to act? Didn't some of the WVU twitter guys admit that that's what they were doing (trying to influence things)?

Was half kidding, but this was your post, no?
That would mean it is nothing but internet rumors with no substance. Nothing for the ACC to worry about.
Geez...

Reaction Score
It's very strange that it is the Sports Director of the UConn Flagship Radio Station who is making these statements. I know that Joe D is very careful about what he says when it comes to UConn (probably he just wants to keep his job but sometimes there is too much homerism). That doesn't mean that I think Scott Gray knows what he's talking about. I think he could be misconstruing what he is hearing from his sources ("other college athletics insiders"), is too gullible, or is being used.

"We are very pleased that WTIC News Talk 1080 will continue to serve as the flagship station of UConn athletics and look forwards to working with our partners at IMG to build the best radio network possible," said UConn Director of Athletics Warde Manuel. "Generations of Husky fans have cgrown up listening to UConn on WTIC and we are glad that will continue. In addition, we feel that our listeners will enjoy the enhancements that IMG brings to our product."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's very strange that it is the Sports Director of the UConn Flagship Radio Station who is making these statements. I know that Joe D is very careful about what he says when it comes to UConn (probably he just wants to keep his job but sometimes there is too much homerism). That doesn't mean that I think Scott Gray knows what he's talking about. I think he could be misconstruing what he is hearing from his sources ("other college athletics insiders"), is too gullible, or is being used.

"We are very pleased that WTIC News Talk 1080 will continue to serve as the flagship station of UConn athletics and look forwards to working with our partners at IMG to build the best radio network possible," said UConn Director of Athletics Warde Manuel. "Generations of Husky fans have cgrown up listening to UConn on WTIC and we are glad that will continue. In addition, we feel that our listeners will enjoy the enhancements that IMG brings to our product."

I totally agree.
But I want the ACC to think it has substance!
Let me dream!

CL82

Reaction Score
Conspiracy Kitty... Are you the source?!

PS : I'm curious how many gigs of the same CK pic are taking up room on @temery 's servers... Or is it the same one, repeated? :)
There are some minor variations. It's evolved over time.

Reaction Score
Hello again--been awhile. I have no inside information, just an observer, but I have been saying for some time that UConn will be in the B1G.

Two things:

First, yes, AAU is that important to TPTB in the Big Ten. Ultimately, it's not about Delaney or the AD's. It's about the Presidents and the constituencies that they must answer to. I was mightily heartened by the US News ranking.

Second, it's NOT about football. I'm not saying that football is unimportant, but it's importance for UConn's entry to the B1G is seriously overrated by most people in my opinion.

I believe that TPTB--Presidents and athletic directors--believe that football is on the way out the door. (Think smoking cigarettes right before the Surgeon General's report in the early 60's.)

It's about TV--specifically the B1G Network. Twelve more football games one way or another doesn't make much difference. They need 24/7, 365 day content that appeals to the largest possible audience and carries its weight for longer than 12 fall Saturdays.

UConn is the premier basketball brand--men's and women's--in one of the most densely populated areas of the country and can draw eyeballs throughout the winter months in an area of the country where people actually stay home and watch TV throughout the winter.

I know some of you are discouraged, but there is simply no way UConn is not going into a Power Conference and I sincerely hope that conference is the B1G and not one of the others.

I will also reiterate this: Hockey is more important than is given credit, and UConn simply must find a way to field lacrosse. TPTB in the B1G regard it highly.

Keep the faith.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
What did you find?

A few things, first I recommend this internal paper from Binghamton Univ. on their roadmap to AAU, explains the criteria for being invited and references UConn. Also note their theme name "Go B1g on research; Becoming an international leader in STEM. It's like they were looking over Suzie H's shoulder and copying her paper.

http://www.binghamton.edu/president/road-map/proposals/RR1.pdf

There is this internal UConn peer evaluation from 2012 which reinforces that UConn is on the bubble for AAU. Only 3 schools on this list are 58 research and top 30 but not AAU. UConn, Va Tech and UGA.

http://www.oir.uconn.edu/UConn_Peer_Groups_October_2012.pdf

There is @Dooley s website which compares some key metrics against other AAU schools:

http://www.uconnfactorfiction.com/

And lastly a loop of message board chatter that started here in March of 2013 whe Ray Dunaway reported UConn would be in the AAU by end of the year. No doubt Dunaway and Gray meet for coffee on the weekends.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

Scott Gray for years kept predicting that Hartford would be getting an NFL franchise and that the NHL was coming back to the area. He engages in a lot of wishful thinking, but out loud, on the radio.

CL82

Reaction Score
A few things, first I recommend this internal paper from Binghamton Univ. on their roadmap to AAU, explains the criteria for being invited and references UConn. Also note their theme name "Go B1g on research; Becoming an international leader in STEM. It's like they were looking over Suzie H's shoulder and copying her paper.

http://www.binghamton.edu/president/road-map/proposals/RR1.pdf

There is this internal UConn peer evaluation from 2012 which reinforces that UConn is on the bubble for AAU. Only 3 schools on this list are 58 research and top 30 but not AAU. UConn, Va Tech and UGA.

http://www.oir.uconn.edu/UConn_Peer_Groups_October_2012.pdf

There is @Dooley s website which compares some key metrics against other AAU schools:

http://www.uconnfactorfiction.com/

And lastly a loop of message board chatter that started here in March of 2013 whe Ray Dunaway reported UConn would be in the AAU by end of the year. No doubt Dunaway and Gray meet for coffee on the weekends.
The thing that leaps off the page to me is that there is a category for federally funded research but none for state funded research. Hopefully UConn and the State of Connecticut are causing a paradigm shift that AAU will want to take advantage of.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The thing that leaps off the page to me is that there is a category for federally funded research but none for state funded research. Hopefully UConn and the State of Connecticut are causing a paradigm shift that AAU will want to take advantage of.

How can the AAU take advantage of CT funding research? I don't think the legislature plans on shipping cash to Ohio State and UVA anytime soon.

CL82

Reaction Score
How can the AAU take advantage of CT funding research? I don't think the legislature plans on shipping cash to Ohio State and UVA anytime soon.
Joint research ventures. All of a sudden Yale wanted to do research with us. What do you think made us more attractive? But if the AAU is at its heart a lobbying organization, and they are, then having a school on board that has tapped in a new source of funds while others are drying up makes sense. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom