Gray Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Page 15, Right hand side:

http://turleyct.com/flipbooks/WHP_082814_Layout/

"I'd expected by now that we would have received word that UConn has been recruited to join one of the "Power 5" conferences, specifically the Big Ten...Getting there will be a bit tougher than I thought..."We aren't quite there yet " one UConn athletic department official recently told me [concerning AAU] before expressing mild concern over the delay...While other college athletic insiders tell me my scenario is accurate, my timing might have been off. They're more inclined to believe that UConn will have found a prestigious home by the end of the academic year."

:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Out of sheer desperation I will cling to any news that has us leaving this dumpster fire of a conference and especially heading to the B1G, but the day we get credible conference realignment news from the West Hartford Press......

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think like three or four of us need to go to Gray's office and just ask 'what --- are you talking about?'

He's like a comet made of space crazy who enters our orbit every three or four months. We gotta get to the bottom of this.

Reaction Score
This has become so important, the day an announcement comes down from the brass about a B1G invite will instantly become a state holiday. I like Gray's optimism but this all-important season likely won't be successful in terms of impressing the P5.
I give Herbst a ton of credit though. Public. Research. $$$.

Reaction Score
Damn. I get that paper every week and usually just toss it. At least he acknowledged he was wrong the last time he spoke about the B1G.

Reaction Score
1. We need to determine who the UConn official is? Then we need to track his or her movements, especially out of town trips. Who is the guy who stalked Herbst on the flight to Chicago? Because of him I try to wear UConn gear on flights there and to North Carolina . I love when I get a fist bump or I hear Huskies walking in Ohare.

2. Delay? Mild concern? We need more info but I view this as news that we are definitely going the the b1g! There is no other way to interpret this information. :D

Reaction Score
1. We need to determine who the UConn official is? Then we need to track his or her movements, especially out of town trips. Who is the guy who stalked Herbst on the flight to Chicago? Because of him I try to wear UConn gear on flights there and to North Carolina . I love when I get a fist bump or I hear Huskies walking in Ohare.

2. Delay? Mild concern? We need more info but I view this as news that we are definitely going the the b1g! There is no other way to interpret this information. :D

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score

I like how me randomly being on the same flight as Herbst during a work trip I had to Chicago has turned into "the guy who stalked Herbst on the flight to Chicago" #internet

Reaction Score
I was mildly excited about reading this....then I saw it was Scott Gray :(

Still, I feel like the scene in Dumb and Dumber...."So you're saying there's a chance?????"

Reaction Score
I think like three or four of us need to go to Gray's office and just ask 'what --- are you talking about?'

He's like a comet made of space crazy who enters our orbit every three or four months. We gotta get to the bottom of this.

The only troubling observation is that Gray is in sync with the full harvest moon and everyone knows we bay at the moon.

upload_2014-9-9_9-15-47.jpeg

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Here's the thing, has gray been kidnapped and secretly replaced by a WVU guys. Note that he's not wrong, just a bit off on the timing which now is the Spring.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I like how me randomly being on the same flight as Herbst during a work trip I had to Chicago has turned into "the guy who stalked Herbst on the flight to Chicago" #internet

#Stalker :) You're probably outside Herbst's office window right now!!

Reaction Score
Could someone be using Scott Gray to spread rumors in an attempt to get the ACC to act? Didn't some of the WVU twitter guys admit that that's what they were doing (trying to influence things)?

Although, Gray does have credentials:

Scott Gray is a six-time CT sportscaster of the year Scott Gray (WTIC AM), writes a column for CBS Connecticut, and has covered Connecticut sports and Uconn for the past THIRTY YEARS.

He is also the Sports Director for WTIC 1080, the radio home of UCONN men's and women's basketball and football.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Swofford.jpg

"So in conclusion, I can't comment on any further expansion until I have the
opportunity to read a craptastic local paper so I find the opinion of this guy..."

0.jpg

Seriously? Have you been in Conspiracy Kitty's catnip?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Could someone be using Scott Gray to spread rumors in an attempt to get the ACC to act? Didn't some of the WVU twitter guys admit that that's what they were doing (trying to influence things)?

Although, Gray does have credentials:

Scott Gray is a six-time CT sportscaster of the year Scott Gray (WTIC AM), writes a column for CBS Connecticut, and has covered Connecticut sports and Uconn for the past THIRTY YEARS.

He is also the Sports Director for WTIC 1080, the radio home of UCONN men's and women's basketball and football.

I was thinking the same thing. Gray says he has a contact inside UCONN "who is mildly concerned over AAU" and other college insiders claim that he's on the right track but doesn't have the timing right. UCONN officials have been on lockdown since prior to Louisville getting an invite into the ACC. While I would LOVE to buy into this "by the end of the academic year" guestimate, I just don't see anyone from UCONN feeding anything to anyone UNLESS they are trying to get the ACC to act sooner. One of the (silly) factors against UCONN in past ACC expansions has always been the thought that "UCONN will always be there to be added later". Well, if UCONN creates a whole slew of news that could entice another conference (B1G), then maybe that would get the ACC to act sooner.

I do think that there is an effort out there to try to pit the ACC against the B1G to add us as quickly as possible. Whether that is being done publicly or privately, I do think it's out there. Both Manuel and Herbst aren't blind - they can see the pathetic crowds at football games in the past few years and it's only getting worse. The $1.5B from the state could be a huge carrot to try to pit the two conferences against one another. Northeast expansion and market penetration is not complete without UCONN in the fold. Maybe not so much from a football perspective (right now) but definitely from a basketball, market, and academic perspective. The frustrating part for me is that I think football would explode once we're in a better conference. But it's a whole chicken/egg argument: UCONN fans want to see UCONN play against top teams that they've heard of or have a history of watching. But before we get there, UCONN needs to figure out a way to sell tickets NOW.

Reaction Score
Swofford.jpg

"So in conclusion, I can't comment on any further expansion until I have the
opportunity to read a craptastic local paper so I find the opinion of this guy..."

0.jpg

Seriously? Have you been in Conspiracy Kitty's catnip?

You can make fun of this, but when the FSU President, Eric Barron, wrote a memo stating the arguments for and against FSU moving to the Big 12, he mentioned the internet chatter. So they ARE reading this stuff.

"1. The information presented about the ACC contract that initiated the blogosphere discussion was not correct. The ACC is an equal share conference and this applies to football and to basketball -- there is no preferential treatment of any university with the exception of 3rd tier rights for women's basketball and Olympic sports. FSU is advantaged by that aspect of the contract over the majority of other ACC schools."

and

"I present these issues to you so that you realize that this is not so simple (not to mention that negotiations aren't even taking place). One of the few wise comments made in the blogosphere is that no one negotiates their future in the media. We can't afford to have conference affiliation be governed by emotion -- it has to be based on a careful assessment of athletics, finances and academics. I assure you that every aspect of conference affiliation will be looked at by this institution, but it must be a reasoned decision".

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...ida-state-president-eric-barron-acc-alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom