Gorecki to Duke | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gorecki to Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That may well be. In the particular case, wasn't the most recent bit that Durr was likely to join her new bff Diamond on the orange brick road?

I'm not clued in at all where they are all going. I still don't even know if Diamond is going to TN.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gorecki sounded like a versatile "glue" player. I think she's also a solid student. Congrats to her and Duke.

I still want to add Durr, Brown, Boykin, and Samuelson to Collier in our 2015 class.

Reaction Score
Heh, as we all. I'm just repeating what I've seen in the message board rumor-mill.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Gorecki sounded like a versatile "glue" player. I think she's also a solid student. Congrats to her and Duke.

I still want to add Durr, Brown, Boykin, and Samuelson to Collier in our 2015 class.

If it came together like that, it would be one of the best recruiting classes of all time.

Reaction Score
Maybe in just feels right and comfortable to these recruits that choose other schools However it should be fairly obvious to them that by choosing certain universities (such as Duke) over UCONN that they are giving up any legitimate chance at a national title. Does that even seriously enter into the conversation during their visit?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
well then apologies if i read it wrong. Their English is incorrect which lead me to read it literally, not how the poster meant it.
It was written using a tone of hopeful light heartedness or optimism. JS parsed your tone quite well.

Reaction Score
Maybe in just feels right and comfortable to these recruits that choose other schools However it should be fairly obvious to them that by choosing certain universities (such as Duke) over UCONN that they are giving up any legitimate chance at a national title. Does that even seriously enter into the conversation during their visit?
I would hope that recruits consider everything about a college before making their decision. For a top athlete, it is easy to assume that her/his choice will be driven by where they can win a championship. But if that were the case, there would not be enough scholarships at those few schools with "legitimate" chance at a national title. There are so many factors that any student - athlete or not - must take into consideration. Academics, location, campus appearance, and in general a general feeling of fitting in. When my youngest was selecting a college, he humored me by taking a side trip to see Georgia Tech. Had no interest in it prior to the visit. But I remember very clearly his statement as we walked back to the car after the campus tour: "I can totally see myself here". If Haley didn't "feel it" at UConn then she made the choice that was right for her.

Geno usually gets the right kind of players that fits his needs and the UConn "mold". And, even if he doesn't get the ones at the top of his wish list, he gets the most out those he does get. Now and then one doesn't work out, which is true every where - see DeShields.

I am certain Haley has made the decision that is right for her, and I wish her all the best at Duke.

Reaction Score
Best of luck Haley! I would really like to see Samuelson or Durr....or both come to UCONN!! Wouldn't that be something. Getting verbals from the #1 & #2 (ESPN) ranked players. Oh wait, already been there.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well I think we get Durr and I also think with our current roster she will start just because shes that good. I also think most other guards will look elsewhere due to our current roster.

Reaction Score
It makes sense for promising guards to give UConn a pass for a couple of years. Those positions are filled.

Make sure you tell Geno your brilliant take on the recruiting situation. Maybe you could stand outside Gampel with a sign declaring "No Guards Needed."

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Good luck to her - great addition for Duke and a good choice for her.
(Now Triad, don't want to be a downer here, but the assistant coach who recruited her just left to be HC elsewhere and it is just a verbal, but ... don't want you to sleep too easily tonight! :rolleyes:)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Perhaps that's why we get the players we get.
And why others go elsewhere
For some, their ambition just doesn't go that high.
And the advantages of a Duke or Stanford education outweigh National Championships.
Takes a pretty committed kid to come to Storrs.

Reaction Score
Make sure you tell Geno your brilliant take on the recruiting situation. Maybe you could stand outside Gampel with a sign declaring "No Guards Needed."
I'm not talking about it from the POV of a UConn fan or Geno. I'm speaking about the recruit herself, as an independent actor entirely entitled to maximize her own talents and opportunities. Except for the truly transcendent talent, there will be less opportunity in the next few years at UConn for a good young guard to maximize either her own development or her ability to contribute as part of a team. I fail to understand how one can be contemptuously dismissive of this obvious reality, because I assure you recruits won't be dismissing it.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

No Haleys Needed: However, we like Briannas, and Asias, spelled whichever way.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Would have been nice to have her at UConn but not a huge loss considering the depth UConn has at guard.
With 3 new talented guards and a wing coming in this year, these type of things have to be expected. Because of timing, I would think alot of different players would end up here and at other universities, as a result of prior commits, and their ages, etc....we really need post/power forwards right now I would think- and a big pick up guard/pt guard next year!

Reaction Score
Perhaps that's why we get the players we get.
And why others go elsewhere
For some, their ambition just doesn't go that high.
And the advantages of a Duke or Stanford education outweigh National Championships.
Takes a pretty committed kid to come to Storrs.
I agree with the above, but might it also be possible that she enjoys 30 point beat downs at the hands of #30 and #23?

Reaction Score
Agree with you. I don't think Uconn would have pursued recruiting Gorecki if she isn't a talented player.
With 3 new talented guards and a wing coming in this year, these type of things have to be expected. Because of timing, I would think alot of different players would end up here and at other universities, as a result of prior commits, and their ages, etc....we really need post/power forwards right now I would think- and a big pick up guard/pt guard next year!
Agree. Durr, Samuelson, and Boykin, for example, are much higher recruiting priorities for Uconn this year.

JS

Reaction Score
Neither was Chong [rated in the top 50] in her Junior year.
But Chong commited to UConn. Which means Geno evaluates players better than the rating services do. Also that the rating services messed up because she didn't play for a prominent AAU team.

After she committed to UConn, things were set aright: 2012-13 Parade National Player of the Year, National High School Coaches Association Player of the Year, Gatorade New York Player of the Year.

If she'd gone elsewhere, like Gorecki, then she'd have lacked a crucial qualification and would've had to be content with what she deserved: something comparable to Chicago Mid-Suburban West POY.

And it would've been OK for UConn not to get her, because (a) the rating services were right all along, and (b) she must not have been UConn's type anyway.

C'mon, Triad, get with it. You've been around the Boneyard long enough to start understanding how these things work.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I've found it's best not to correct english, grammer, etc. especially on a message bored. Even more especially on the BY. Heck have the people here ain't even literal.

:cool:

GrammarPolice.jpg

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I've found it's best not to correct english, grammer, etc. especially on a message bored. Even more especially on the BY. Heck have the people here ain't even literal.

Not to mention smart phones have added a kink to coherence in posting. Auto correct is a bear (ahem).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom