Good news, Bad news……. | The Boneyard

Good news, Bad news…….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As I was checking out some UK stats on the ESPN site I was curious as to how well they shot the ball from 3 as I had seen rainbows flying in from a very good shooter in Young and a clutch performer in Aaron Harrison. Funny to see for the year, Aaron is the leader @ .361% from 3 with Young being 2nd @ .348% from 3………in other words while you know we'll be doubling down and trying to get back to the shooter as much as possible but now, it seems maybe it's a bit easier to pick your poison huh? I mean of they shoot 60% form 3 we're screwed anyway but to think they just don't shoot it as well as the hilight reel helps the defensive process. We've done this before, Iowa State and MSU mainly and look at the stir we've caused! Sorry but I'm ready so………

Let's FN do THIS!!!

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The good news:

Kentucky is beatable!

The bad news:

Doomed.png

Reaction Score
I'm more worried about what UK is going to do on defense. Something tells me they will half-court press because the video that Calipari watched is all Louisville v. UConn. They are going to use the Harrisons and Young to double Bazz and Boatright. So I expect to see a lot of Kromah and Samuel out there, and really UConn should consider having Bazz and Boat break through the doubles by dribbling instead of letting themselves get swallowed up.

Reaction Score
I disagree, that would be suicide. Why would they want to press a team that is clearly quicker and better ball handlers? I think their first option is to pack the lane and try to make it tough to penetrate, forcing us to beat them with jump shots.

Reaction Score
I disagree, that would be suicide. Why would they want to press a team that is clearly quicker and better ball handlers? I think their first option is to pack the lane and try to make it tough to penetrate, forcing us to beat them with jump shots.
Right, because the Harrison's size could bother Napier and Boat's shot. They can give them more space. We'll run lots and lots of pick and rolls tonight, though.

Should be fun. Too bad we are

doomed-png.5643

Reaction Score

I agree. UCONN's best 3 point looks are when Napier or Boatright drives into the lane and dishes back out.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
I'm more worried about what UK is going to do on defense. Something tells me they will half-court press because the video that Calipari watched is all Louisville v. UConn. They are going to use the Harrisons and Young to double Bazz and Boatright. So I expect to see a lot of Kromah and Samuel out there, and really UConn should consider having Bazz and Boat break through the doubles by dribbling instead of letting themselves get swallowed up.
I don't think they will be as good at it as Louisville tho!
If they were to try it.

Reaction Score
I don't think they will be as good at it as Louisville tho!
If they were to try it.

Ville was excelent, but Kentucky has more size. So the question is, does UConn treat it the same way, by being cautious and not attacking? Or do they attack? I think they have to attack. Drive if you see an opening or kick it out for a 3.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Ville was excelent, but Kentucky has more size. So the question is, does UConn treat it the same way, by being cautious and not attacking? Or do they attack? I think they have to attack. Drive if you see an opening or kick it out for a 3.
Absolutely ATTACK!
We will definitely have the speed advantage!!

pj

Reaction Score
Offense is all about attacking. We have to attack defensively too, if they can crowd 5 guys and the ball near the basket, they'll win the offensive rebounding scrum every time. We have to dominate the perimeter. On defense, don't let them dribble, knock the ball away. On offense, create breakdowns and gaps, share the ball, and hit three point shots.

Reaction Score
Kentucky will press if they feel they need to speed up the game. A big concern is transition offense. UConn must be able to crash the offensive glass and get back on defense. If they can't do one, they absolutely MUST do the other. We may not want to get into a track meet with them, so once we break a press (if they put one on), we may want to slow it down and get into our half-court game. However, the best offense out of our half-court game is to attack the basket with our guards. No doubt in my mind this is the way to go, instead of settling for outside shots.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good point, but they can try and copy what one team does all the time. I don't think they will be as effective with it as Louisville. I really want to see US pressure they're young guards and disrupt what they want to do offensively.

Reaction Score
Attack the lane, kick out for 3s, finish in the lane, or get their bigs in foul trouble. I really think this game will be decided at the FT line. We need to get to the FT line.

Our guards are quicker and better ball handlers. I dare them to press us all game.

We are dooooooommmmmmmed!

Reaction Score
Kentucky will press if they feel they need to speed up the game. A big concern is transition offense. UConn must be able to crash the offensive glass and get back on defense. If they can't do one, they absolutely MUST do the other. We may not want to get into a track meet with them, so once we break a press (if they put one on) we may break it and slow it down and get into our half-court game. However, the best offense out of our half-court game is to attack the basket with our guards. No doubt in my mind this is the way to go, instead of settling for outside shots.

I agree. I expect Kentucky with their youth and athleticism to go on a run sometime in the first half of the first half, somewhat like Florida did to UConn early in the semifinal. UConn needs to slow the game down. Be patient and grind out every possession offensive and defensively. Get back into the game by half, i.e. +/- 5 points and see how the young Wildcats take a team deals with a team that won't let go for a full 40 minutes. Get in their heads. Wisconsin did it for a few minutes hear and there and it showed. We also have to have a presence on the defensive boards to keep Kentucky away from it's bread & butter put backs. That means keeping all hands in the passing lanes to make it hard to get to the basket in the first place, like the Huskies did to Michigan State and Florida. Make Kentucky a teamwork, passing team, which they are not. Of course, also don't let Harrison shot a wide open 3 with less than 2 minutes left. Other than that, we are DOOMED.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
When they spin move around half court/top of the key, we're going to steal the ball from them with the behind-poke like at least twice.

Reaction Score
They will never half court press, that would be pure stupidity. They may trap here and there, mainly in the corners. UCONN is too quick to press and we have VG shooters if we break the press.

Reaction Score
They will never half court press, that would be pure stupidity. They may trap here and there, mainly in the corners. UCONN is too quick to press and we have VG shooters if we break the press.
Louisville was able to do it not because of their size, but because Russ Smith is ungodly fast, and Chris Jones ain't too slow himself.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For all the talk of their size hampering our guards from driving, UK averages 6 blocks per game. UConn averages 6 blocks per game. Did I mention that almost 3 of those blocks per game for UK will be sitting on the bench with a sore ankle. We're really looking at 3 blocks a game. I say drive the lane and try to get their guys in foul trouble. I fwe can get some fouls on Randle, that would help our bigs greatly. Bazz and Boat ought to be able to get around Kentucky's big guards.

From a UK point of view, I would guess they'll play off our guards a bit. Hopefully that will give them soom room to shoot and we'll still be able to get around them.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Yes, Kentucky is long and athletic, but not as quick as UCONN. Break the press off the dribble and remove UK's passing lane advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom