Go East, young man...how Rutgers and Maryland add effects B1G | The Boneyard

Go East, young man...how Rutgers and Maryland add effects B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"When ACC raided Big East a second time, taking Syracuse and Pitt from the old Big East, it really created an opening for us…to become the network fans in the New York metro area gravitate to."

Capture.PNG

More reason to believe that UConn is part of Delany's plan.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So $1 per subscriber in NY and DC.

What price could they charge in CT? 2 or 3 bucks?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The ACC fumbled expansion.

Instead of locking down the New York City market, they opted for about three zip codes in Kentucky and the portion of western Pennsylvania that cares about Pitt.

And they gave up the eastern seaboard from DC north to the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
We might have to go in as #16 to pry one of the VA schools. Worthy of #15, yes.

Hockey East years will be so damn short-lived.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
So $1 per subscriber in NY and DC.

What price could they charge in CT? 2 or 3 bucks?

I believe SNY got $2.50 when it picked up the UConn games. It was unavailable to most of the state before that.

Reaction Score
The key is the ACC Network - if or when it gets off the ground.

Without the network, yes, the ACC botched expansion no question.

With the Network it's trickier as I think they'll close the gap on the B1G in NYC.

However, still being shutout of DC will never let them match the B1G in eyeballs and dollars.

At the moment they have New England and the B1G doesn't, which makes me hopeful.

pj

Reaction Score

With the Network it's trickier as I think they'll close the gap on the B1G in NYC.

However, still being shutout of DC will never let them match the B1G in eyeballs and dollars.

At the moment they have New England and the B1G doesn't, which makes me hopeful.

They botched expansion, period. If they wanted a network they needed state schools -- UConn, Rutgers, retaining Maryland, and maybe West Virginia. Syracuse and Louisville were costly diversions.

Reaction Score

I don't know about NYC...there is really no reason or the NYC cable market to put a ACC network into their channel package unless ND becomes a full member. And even that would be a reach.

Reaction Score
I don't know about NYC...there is really no reason or the NYC cable market to put a ACC network into their channel package unless ND becomes a full member. And even that would be a reach.

As much as it kills me to admit it, a cable sports package with Syracuse hoops would sell in NYC. Combine that with Notre Dame hoops and if they get some kind of content sharing agreement with a handful of football games a season and that's a product that would sell.

Reaction Score
"Cablevision alone serves 2.64 million video customers in New York, New Jersey and southwestern Connecticut..."

Yup, the affect of the recent B1G expansion is readily apparent in resulting viewership. No doubt, adding UCONN will generate additional B1G effects in the Fairfield County and Hartford/New Haven markets.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
And the comedy merit badge goes to the guy who thinks ND hoops will help corral New York City for the ACC.

Reaction Score
And the comedy merit badge goes to the guy who thinks ND hoops will help corral New York City for the ACC.

I don't know what to tell you man. New Yorkers care about Notre Dame sports, basketball included. They consistently were one of the best represented fan base at MSG during the Big East Tourney and they have the luxury of having the support of every Irish dude in the outer boroughs. I know because half of the kids I knew growing up in Queens still consider Notre Dame their team.

If you offered a cable network that showed Irish games people would go for it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They don't give a flying f--- about ND basketball.

And no they were never one of the best represented fan bases at the BET.

Not even freaking close.

The Big East usually scheduled ND-SJ in South Bend or in Queens because that game doesn't warrant turning the lights on at MSG - last time they played at MSG in '13, ND was ranked and the game still didn't crack 7,000 actual asses in seats.

So stop.

Reaction Score
Having attended the BET for its final 15+ years, I would agree with Fishy. I had the good fortunate of getting better and better seats over time and as I got closer to the wood, I started to run into more of the ND fan base. The average fan was white, 55+, wearing some ugly blue/green sweater, grey/white hair and rarely got out of his seat.

Reaction Score
As much as it kills me to admit it, a cable sports package with Syracuse hoops would sell in NYC. Combine that with Notre Dame hoops and if they get some kind of content sharing agreement with a handful of football games a season and that's a product that would sell.

This. Syracuse was not dumb. Like us, Syracuse is a serious, semi-local player in the fragmented NY marketplace. If instead of taking Syracuse and Pitt, they took Syracuse, us, Rutgers and either WVU or Pitt, they would have in effect swalled the non-catholic part of the Big EAst, and become a much greater force in NY, rather than what they did which was put a toe into NY and fragment the market even further than it was.

Reaction Score
The ACC fumbled expansion.

Instead of locking down the New York City market, they opted for about three zip codes in Kentucky and the portion of western Pennsylvania that cares about Pitt.

And they gave up the eastern seaboard from DC north to the Big Ten.

And the Louisville addition will haunt the ACC for other reasons...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This. Syracuse was not dumb. Like us, Syracuse is a serious, semi-local player in the fragmented NY marketplace. If instead of taking Syracuse and Pitt, they took Syracuse, us, Rutgers and either WVU or Pitt, they would have in effect swalled the non-catholic part of the Big EAst, and become a much greater force in NY, rather than what they did which was put a toe into NY and fragment the market even further than it was.
Agree, but keep in mind that "the plan" was Syracuse/Connecticut, which would have made much more sense being a significant step toward monetizing the NYC DMA. Pitt coming in our stead was an accommodation to BCU's representation on the expansion committee.

BCU may well end up being the ACC's biggest mistake, not just because it is sitting isolated by itself in a city that does not care about it but because, but selfishly trying to be "New England's team" through backroom politicking , it ended up leaving the ACC with a patchwork conglomeration of privates and publics and no cohesive marketing/expansion plan.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
BTN shatters ratings record this past Saturday. Two of the three games involved Maryland and Rutgers.

http://btn.com/2015/10/12/btn-shatters-viewership-mark-with-record-saturday/

BTN shatters viewership mark with record Saturday By BTN Communications

The Big Ten Network saw its highest viewership in its history on Saturday, with four of the top-18 football teams in the country playing on the network. For the day (12p-12a), BTN earned a 2.04 HH rating in the network’s 12 metered markets,* and topped its previous record set in November 2014 by 30 percent. BTN’s games were the highest rated across all cable networks in Baltimore, Chicago, Columbus, Cleveland, Dayton, Detroit and Washington, D.C. and second in Indianapolis, Milwaukee, New York and Philadelphia.

“The heightened interest in Big Ten football around the country has generated increased enthusiasm for the conference, the schools and BTN,” said BTN President Mark Silverman. “The results from Saturday’s games have exceeded even our most optimistic expectations.”

The noon ET game featuring Maryland at No. 1 Ohio State, a 49-28 Buckeye win, averaged a 2.6 HH rating in the network’s 12 metered markets. The 3:30 p.m. ET matchup between No. 13 Northwestern and No. 18 Michigan resulted in the Wolverines’ third-consecutive shutout and delivered a 2.3 HH rating. The 8 p.m. ET primetime game showcased No. 4 Michigan State at Rutgers, with the Spartans needing a touchdown in the final minute to secure the victory. Overall, the game earned a 1.7 HH rating.

It was also a record day across BTN’s digital and social media platforms, with all three games registering among the top-10 most viewed events on BTN2Go, the network’s digital extension. BTN’s social platforms saw record-breaking traffic, including 1.5 million video views across BTN.com, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter. The Big Ten Network Vine account (@BigTenNetwork) also marked its highest-ever looped Vine, receiving more than 345K loops from Braxton Miller’s highlight move vs. Maryland.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, the Acc needs better football schools. ie schools that are good and can get better. Syc losed to usf, cincy beats miami, ecu beats va tech, houston beats lvl, ...outside of fla st and clemson, the fball product needs help to get eyeballs in addition to more markets.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, the Acc needs better football schools. ie schools that are good and can get better. Syc losed to usf, cincy beats miami, ecu beats va tech, houston beats lvl, ...outside of fla st and clemson, the fball product needs help to get eyeballs in addition to more markets.

At the end of the day, any conference needs year round content to drive viewership and advertising revenue. This extends past the 12-14 footballs games and should cast more focus on a basketball schedule of 40 games.

For UConn, located in a top 25 TV market, this means a huge amount of revenue in multiple sports. Mens bball will bring in a lot of eyeballs. Laugh if you will, but the lady huskies will drive revenue within our DMA. Not as much as Mens bb or football, but More than what SNY gets because the regular season lineup will improve dramatically. Add in hockey (baseball and soccer in good years) and I have to ask Delaney what is he waiting for, other than a partner.

Reaction Score
Considering that the RU game vs MSU was matched up against the Mets vs the Dodgers, a 1.7 HH rating is pretty damned big. The game drew a ton of ratings.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, any conference needs year round content to drive viewership and advertising revenue. This extends past the 12-14 footballs games and should cast more focus on a basketball schedule of 40 games.

For UConn, located in a top 25 TV market, this means a huge amount of revenue in multiple sports. Mens bball will bring in a lot of eyeballs. Laugh if you will, but the lady huskies will drive revenue within our DMA. Not as much as Mens bb or football, but More than what SNY gets because the regular season lineup will improve dramatically. Add in hockey (baseball and soccer in good years) and I have to ask Delaney what is he waiting for, other than a partner.

I think it as simple as being able to show that UCONN adds significantly to the pot. An incremental gain will not be enough to convince an Iowa or Minnesota that they are going to be seeing Michigan or Ohio State even less on their schedules than they already do. AAU Status and the quality of your football program are simply window dressing. Its entirely about maximizing revenue through media. If CT had 8 million people in state as opposed to 3.5 you would be in the conference already. You check an overwhelming number of the right boxes IMO.

That said as of right now I think the number of schools that can pay for themselves and also raise the take for everyone else can be counted on 1 hand. ND, Texas, and UNC. (All three are highly unlikely) The list of those schools who potentially could be included someday would be GT, UVA/VPI, Mizzou, OU, KU, and UCONN. That's it. I do believe if The B1G is motivated to act your flexibility and desire to join will be looked upon favorably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom