Gloucester/Portsmouth...where to go? | The Boneyard

Gloucester/Portsmouth...where to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Doing a long weekend in early August to hit a Blues Festival in Gloucester. Haven't booked a room yet but will soon. Probabli in the Portsmouth area.

So, where are the best whole bellies? NE chowdah? Microbrews?

Reaction Score
Doing a long weekend in early August to hit a Blues Festival in Gloucester. Haven't booked a room yet but will soon. Probabli in the Portsmouth area.

So, where are the best whole bellies? NE chowdah? Microbrews?
It's about the lobster, stupid. Seriously walked along river in the old part of Portsmith. Deli on the water seved up the best lobster salad sandwich I have ever had. Fresh. Portsmith.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For whole bellies, I like Bob's Clam Hut. It's just over the bridge, past the outlets on RT. 1 in Kittery.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Portsmouth Brewing Company, Main St. Portsmouth (I was just there). Great beer and decent pub food. Cava is good across the street in the little alley and there's always the Dolphin Striker for seafood (all in about 100 feet of each other). If you like coffee there is Breaking Grounds at the corner of Market next to the Church (or Starbucks across the street). Bob's is great. Can't tell you where to pick up the lobsta as my brother in law always runs out to pick it up and treats! There's a pretty large (new location on the main drag) cigar store if that floats your boat.

Mrs. Dove (iirc) will have a fun time in Portsmouth as well. This past weekend the whole town was jam packed - lines of cars were waiting to get into the parking garage. Tons of couples and families. It was definitely a happening place.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I remember that we found some very reasonably priced and very cool antiques in Portsmouth several years ago. No idea what the store names were, but they were right in the central area of town.

Reaction Score
Portland Maine real close and they have an interesting center that connects directly to fishing dock.
Had twin lobster in a nautical but blue collar diner in this area. Twenty bucks. Fresh out of the sea.

Reaction Score
Easy one! Best fried clams on the planet? The Clam Box in Ipswitch MA!!!! Take it from a transplanted New England guy who just CRAVES whole-belly fried clams!!!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I just Google mapped Ipswich and sho nuff The Clam Box is highlighted. They must be good.

Thanks SoCal.

Waquoit, pnete...you went off the rails of the thread. Gloucester/Portsmouth.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just Google mapped Ipswich and sho nuff The Clam Box is highlighted. They must be good.

Waquoit, pnete...you went off the rails of the thread. Gloucester/Portsmouth.

Geez, 3 miles for great whole bellies? My bad.

Reaction Score
If you are around on a Sunday, swing into Wolf Hollow, right around the corner from Crane Beach. Check their website for times.

Reaction Score
Best lobster rolls are at Beach Plum.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...e_Beach_Plum-North_Hampton_New_Hampshire.html

They have a roadside shack on Route 1A in North Hampton across the street from a state beach. Parking can be a pain though. They also have a bigger place in US 1 about 3 1/2 miles from the Portsmouth Traffic Circle (not within walking distance of downtown). They are pricy; but, you get lot of lobster with that roll. Just don't try to drive and eat one of those big ones. I spent a hour cleaning off my steering wheel, dashboard, shift, etc. after picking one up in Portsmouth and then driving up to Portland.

Portsmouth is a great town. Plenty to do, eat, and drink. Typically a late 20's and 30's crowd both local and from Boston. If you happen to be there during a strong coastal storm (hurricanes, nor'easters), take a drive along Route 1A from Portsmouth down to Hampton beach. Nature puts on one heck of a show.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
pnete said:
It's about the lobster, stupid. Seriously walked along river in the old part of Portsmith. Deli on the water seved up the best lobster salad sandwich I have ever had. Fresh. Portsmith.

Im not one to denigrate ones taste but in my world lobster rolls are hot with butter on a New England hot dog roll. Mayonnaise on lobster? Cold? Not for me. There are pretty much only 2 other things besides the huskies that CT has right over the rest of the world. Lobster rolls and Pizza.

Reaction Score
The Clam Box in Ipswich
clam+box.JPG

Rockport Harbor with Motif #1 at center
Rockport_Mass_harbour_and_Motif_1.JPG
The top picture makes my mouth water big time!!! Why can we put men on the moon, but can't serve real fried clams anywhere but New England?????

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Every memory of every bar and restaurant in Kittery and Portsmouth is good.

Maybe try a tour of the Red Hook brewery.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Im not one to denigrate ones taste but in my world lobster rolls are hot with butter on a New England hot dog roll.

I like the fact that they are known in NYC as "Connecticut Lobster Rolls".

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Im not one to denigrate ones taste but in my world lobster rolls are hot with butter on a New England hot dog roll. Mayonnaise on lobster? Cold? Not for me. There are pretty much only 2 other things besides the huskies that CT has right over the rest of the world. Lobster rolls and Pizza.
+1000!

You know about Lobster Landing in Clinton, right? IMO that is the textbook perfect lobster roll. Johnny Ad's in Old Saybrook also near the top.

Reaction Score
The top picture makes my mouth water big time!!! Why can we put men on the moon, but can't serve real fried clams anywhere but New England?????

Agree on that one. I live in North Jersey and can’t find a single good local clam strip place outside of driving down to the Shore, which on a weekend summer day, would take me several lifetimes to get to. Red Hook Lobster out of Brooklyn has good, mostly traditional lobster rolls; but, they are the same price as Beach Plumb and half of the meat. Lastly, Clam Chowder does not involve tomatoes, darn it!

That’s it for my rant for now.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
8893 said:
+1000! You know about Lobster Landing in Clinton, right? IMO that is the textbook perfect lobster roll. Johnny Ad's in Old Saybrook also near the top.

Was at LL last weekend, my favorite.

Reaction Score
Someone beat me to it about the Wentworth....stay there! That place is awesome!

Reaction Score
The Clam Box is great. Also try Woodman's (I think they filmed an Adam Sandler movie there). Best fried clams I've had. Bearskin Neck in Rockport is also great for a day in the summer if you're staying in Gloucester.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom