OT: - Georgia/TCU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Georgia/TCU

Reaction Score
I have no problem with the way this played out. It happened on the field. TCU played the game of their lives to knock off Michigan. Good for them.

Remember how it used to be? No playoff and some subject ranking to determine who was National Champ? Georgia beat who they had to beat when it counted.

Reaction Score
@Deepster I never considered that. Good point. We begged for equity and fairness, we got it, and it produced a poor product. CFB will never satisfy the majority the way other sports can.

Reaction Score
I honestly think they gave Georgia the shaft anyway in the rankings of the last 4. There was no doubt TCU was the weakest of the 4 so they should have seen them in the semi's without a doubt. But the NCAA didn't want UM and OSU to play again so it ended up as it did. First weekend ended up fine anyway, but last night was a joke.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Chicago Bears over The Washington Redskins in an NFL Championship game. 73-0. The Redskins defeated the Bears 7-3 in their regular season game that year.

There were a whole series of SBs that weren't competitive. From SB XV (Raiders over Skins) through XXIX (Niners over Bolts), only 3 games were decided by less than 19 points. And there were some tremendous blowouts, with the Niners beating the Broncos 55-10 and the Cowboys beating the Bills 52-17. And keep in mind, those are with 2 rosters filled with All-Pros, not one roster littered with 5-star recruits against another made up of 3-stars and transfers.

Without having done the research, I would bet there is a higher percentage of blowouts in national title games than in other playoff games. I think once a big lead is established, there is some extra adrenaline on one side and defeatism on the other, all exacerbated by the understanding that the season is about to end, that turns beatings into blowouts.

Reaction Score
Georgia was Lucky to beat Ohio State .
Ohio State was destroyed by Michigan in their big game .
TCU upsets Michigan in the first round .
You would probably have to assume that TCU Georgia would be competitive at least but that’s not necessarily true.
Comparative scores vs actual matchup is never vary accurate.
I seriously doubt Michigan gets dominated by Georgia like TCU Georgia probably wins by 2 or less TD’s in a decently competitive game .
Kinda had that tournament feeling too it.

Reaction Score
Michigan and Harbaugh should be embarrassed they were beaten by the Horned Frogs. That’s all I took out of last night’s debacle.
I think Michigan started to believe their own hype. They got careless with the football. Harbaugh melts down in big games.

Going back to the 2011 NFC championship game, remember their PR Kyle had fumbled the ball lead to a Giants TD, they kept him in the game as the the conditions got worse with rain. What Coughlin did was pull his PR Will Blackmon and put in Aaron Ross telling him to only fair catch it, as he didn’t trust Blackmon returning kicks being aware of the elements knowing 1 turnover was losing that game as the game was very much a stall mate.

Harbaugh did no such thing he kept Kyle Williams in the game never telling him anything about protecting the ball he fumbles in OT and we know that ended.

Harbaugh is a great regular season coach, big games not so much. You get destroyed by UGA that would be one thing, Michigan choked against TCU.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
As long as Michigan and Notre Dame win nothing I am happy
Michigan builds it's team for ONE reason - Beat The OSU
Georgia was on a different level than any other team this year - very Bama esque team

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There were a whole series of SBs that weren't competitive. From SB XV (Raiders over Skins) through XXIX (Niners over Bolts), only 3 games were decided by less than 19 points. And there were some tremendous blowouts, with the Niners beating the Broncos 55-10 and the Cowboys beating the Bills 52-17. And keep in mind, those are with 2 rosters filled with All-Pros, not one roster littered with 5-star recruits against another made up of 3-stars and transfers.

Without having done the research, I would bet there is a higher percentage of blowouts in national title games than in other playoff games. I think once a big lead is established, there is some extra adrenaline on one side and defeatism on the other, all exacerbated by the understanding that the season is about to end, that turns beatings into blowouts.

The ole saying goes the AFC and NFC championship game weekend is for the football diehards and the Super Bowl was to get all the casuals. For a long time the conference championship games were more compettitive than the SB's. CFP may be going through same situation.

Reaction Score
CFP began in 2014. It's a joke! Of the 9 championships only Clemson (2) and Ohio State (1) and the rest... the SEC. What a shocker! It's just a money generator.

Reaction Score
I honestly think they gave Georgia the shaft anyway in the rankings of the last 4. There was no doubt TCU was the weakest of the 4 so they should have seen them in the semi's without a doubt. But the NCAA didn't want UM and OSU to play again so it ended up as it did. First weekend ended up fine anyway, but last night was a joke.
Don't you think that UM-OSU would've produced the highest ratings? I think even the casual fan knows that rivalry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom