Geno's 20 year record | The Boneyard

Geno's 20 year record

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's hard to pick out a single statistic that captures just how dominant Geno's Huskies have been.

But one that sticks out for me is his W-L record since the 93-94 season. 677-55. Perhaps even more impressive if you realize that averages out to about 34-3 each year for twenty years. 33.9-2.8 to be precise.

To put that in perspective, very few coaches have sustained that kind of a pace for more than a few years. Let me be more specific. I could only find four coaches who have put together that kind of winning percentage for more than one season. And I couldn't find anyone who put together a five-year run with that kind of winning percentage. Not a one.

Here's the top four I could find. Now I may have missed someone who should be on the list but I'm pretty sure no one had a five-year run that averaged as good as 33.9-2.8. (Vanderveer was the closest. She averaged 34.0-3.0 for one stretch--not quite as good as 33.9-2.8, although pretty close.)
Vanderveer--four year stretch of 34.3-2.5
Summitt--four year stretch of 33.5-2.5
Barmore--four year stretch of 31.5-2.5
Mulkey--three year stretch of 35.3-1.3

To repeat, for twenty years Geno has coached at a level that no other coach has managed to sustain for more than four years.

HGN

Reaction Score
There is no question that Geno is in Rarified Air........Of which only he is breathing. Twenty (20) years is a long time to maintain such supremacy over your peers. And Geno has done just that.

Vanderveer , Summitt, and Barmore did it 4 years with different stars leading the way. So they deserve a lot of credit for such a feat. I can't quite say that about Mulkey's last 3 years. However , to win 30+ for multiple years is Outstanding work for any coach that has the skills.

Congratulations to them all.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
suebird.....great stats..!! lots of work & research, so thank you..!! Really impressive when you see the numbers in print...w/ the comparison to his "peers"...

Geno's record, as illustrated, is nothing short of incredible. Especially when you consider what "they" say about him...ie; "the game has passed him by", "Geno needs to change the way he recruits", "he doesn't relate well to today's players", "worst job coaching in years", "his practices are too tough", "not allowing a tatoo or nail polish is stupid", "he doesn't give bench players enough playing time", blah, blah, blah....

677 wins in 20 years..... 8 National Championships.... wow...!

Reaction Score
As a comparison, Leon Barmore has the highest career winning percentage. 20 years at La Tech, 576 and 87 for .8688. Geno for 20, 677 and 55 for .9249.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
For 20 years, Geno hasn't missed a Sweet 16, hasn't won fewer than 25 games, hasn't lost more than one game in a row, and has won at least one piece of a championship (league regular season, league tourney, NCAA tourney). It's an incredible stretch of success.

Reaction Score
For 20 years, Geno hasn't missed a Sweet 16, hasn't won fewer than 25 games, hasn't lost more than one game in a row, and has won at least one piece of a championship (league regular season, league tourney, NCAA tourney). It's an incredible stretch of success.
What was Geno's winning percentage wrapped around those two consecutive undefeated seasons with Tina and Maya. I have little doubt that they averaged about 36 or 37 wins in a four year spin surrounding those seasons. I don't have the stats here so I can't check for myself.

Reaction Score
The year before the two undefeated seasons UConn lost to Stanford in the semi finals. In the year after the two undefeated seasons they lost to Notre Dame in the semi finals. Probably thirty-five or thirty-six wins each season.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
As a comparison, Leon Barmore has the highest career winning percentage. 20 years at La Tech, 576 and 87 for .8688. Geno for 20, 677 and 55 for .9249.[/
97.4% win percentage. No wonder we are spoiled.
The winning we expect and they attain is beyond- but the way in which they do it, and with the class and grace of these exceptional young ladies is what makes me fanatical. And they seam to have alot of fun along the way.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
As a comparison, Leon Barmore has the highest career winning percentage. 20 years at La Tech, 576 and 87 for .8688. Geno for 20, 677 and 55 for .9249.
It is much more difficult to win National Championships now and in recent years than many years ago. There is so much more parity and talented players and programs, which is even a greater testament to Geno, CD and the entire program. Baylor should have won 3-4 national championships with the talent they had during the BG era- and they win only one. Coaching still matters.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
To repeat, for twenty years Geno has coached at a level that no other coach has managed to sustain for more than four years.
D-d-d-d-d-aaammmmmn. :eek:

One could almost conclude he was a good coach. And probably knows what he is doing.

Reaction Score
Vanderveer, Summitt, Barmore, Mulkey--is part of the reason they haven't attained the 34-3 number that there were fewer games in the olden days? Not so much for Mulkey, but for the other three.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Vanderveer, Summitt, Barmore, Mulkey--is part of the reason they haven't attained the 34-3 number that there were fewer games in the olden days? Not so much for Mulkey, but for the other three.
Not really - 37 games is a pretty full slate you only are likely to go beyond with both an in season tournament and a NC. Kim hit 40-0 based on both those plus I think the Big 12 had one more game in their tournament than the BE.

Reaction Score
On a won/loss percentage basis, 32 - 3 is still better than 90%. For perspective, 35 - 4 is less than 90%. WE we're doomed!!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
On a won/loss percentage basis, 32 - 3 is still better than 90%. For perspective, 35 - 4 is less than 90%. WE we're doomed!!

Yeah, it is pretty astounding to realize one can win an NC, set a record for the largest margin of victory in the final, yet as measured by number of losses, it was worse than the average of the last 20 years.

Reaction Score
What was Geno's winning percentage wrapped around those two consecutive undefeated seasons with Tina and Maya. I have little doubt that they averaged about 36 or 37 wins in a four year spin surrounding those seasons. I don't have the stats here so I can't check for myself.
The record for these four seasons is 37.5 and 1, which is so totally nuts that it is on the verge of impossible to improve on, unless Breanna and company decide not to lose a game for the next three seasons, at a minimum. Hmmmm, not a bad idea, is it?????

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Despite some people whining about it I'll point out once again that Geno is also the only coach in CBB with five standalone NCs: 1995, 2000, 2003, 2009, 2013. No meaningful roster overlap between those teams. Five has never happened. That's damned impressive.

Reaction Score
Despite some people whining about it I'll point out once again that Geno is also the only coach in CBB with five standalone NCs: 1995, 2000, 2003, 2009, 2013. No meaningful roster overlap between those teams. Five has never happened. That's damned impressive.
As far as I'm concerned Alex, you can point that out as often as you like!

Reaction Score
Whenever I think of, or mention Geno as a great coach, I'm also mentally including Chris, Shea & Marisa. It's a great team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom