Geno show on now wtic 1080...nm | The Boneyard

Geno show on now wtic 1080...nm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I heard bits and pieces on my work break but I did hear Geno say:

- The ACC is in for a rude awakening with Notre Dame (and I agree 100%!)
- Ekmark one of the best shooters he has every recruited
- Gabby Williams one of the best athletes in the country
- all 4 frosh extremely competitive and love the game.

Reaction Score
Bob Joyce talkin geno and ad manuel also... Geno says not
Many more fouls being called this season than last,
Geno talkin about new practice facility, and he doesn't know where
Men's NCAA soccer final four is (college cup) ,
Even though its in his hometown...
I wish Manuel wasn't on show...
Geno says never want recruit Only 1 player...when asked
About chong... Happned couple times only,
Farris....Chong...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Comments by Geno:
  • Not having Morgan and KML changes team tremendously
  • What we did in the second half against Stanford (w/out KML) and on road against Maryland and PSU has given the team a lot of confidence. They feel proud of themselves and they should;
  • Hartley in form that made her an All-American as sophomore
  • Bria played great in MD game and PSU game; many think if you shoot ball well you play well or if you shoot poorly that means you played poorly. Not true. Bria shot poorly against Maryland but played a great game. Bria is attacking all the time and this is where she needs to be.
  • Stefanie does things that can be measured (her rebounds, for example) but she does so many things that can't be measured. She has tremendous impact on the team. She helps other players get open, she makes passes that lead to scores. Stef makes everybody on the team better and that is valuable.
  • Every time Maryland missed, able to get out in transition and turn misses in to scoring opportunities
  • Moriah w/ defense and pressure she put on Maryland, we're going to take advantage of that.
  • Saniya just comes out and sees a play and decides to make it or sees a shot and decides to take it; you can't coach those things. Against Maryland she was a little overwhelmed, but when got to Penn State she looked like a veteran. She went by a couple of players like they were standing still.
  • Penn State took up a lot of space inside and made it difficult to get the ball where we wanted in first half, once got it along baseline and middle of zone and then we were able to make some shots.
  • Penn State set some big screens to get Lucas open; they're built around Lucas and their big guys defend, rebound and screen. They'll be tough to beat by year-end.
  • On UConn's record against the ACC, hard to explain why we've had so much success. Maybe it's style of play. ND is going to drive those teams crazy down there. They don't know what there in for. This will be interesting to see; up until now Duke, North Carolina and Maryland have dominated the league and have taken turns beating each other. There's a new horse in the race.
  • Update on Morgan and KML; both doing well, progressing well, KML making a lot of progress, Morgan is too;
  • Always difficult to talk about recruits. All are great in HS and we have no idea what they'll do in college. We do know for certain the the 4 kids we have signed love the game, are always in the gym, love to compete. Sadie Edwards is good with the ball in her hands, and getting inside defenses. Ekmark is one of best shooters we've ever recruited, loves the game, wants to play all the time. Ekmark is like KML except built differently. Gabby Williams one of the best athletes in America, 5th in O trials for London, phenomenal athlete who can play a lot of different positions; Nurse is 6-foot has tremendous experience playing for Canadian national team; good ball handler, good 3-point shooter, family of great athletes.
  • Our recruiting style is we don't get involved with a lot of players, but we also don't set out to bring in one-player classes. Ideally, we look for 2-4 recruits in a class. Sometimes things don't work out. We're not going to pick up kids just because we want 2 or 3 more players. It's hard for players to sit around and develop at UConn because others are going to come in and take their place. At UConn, we pretty much need players who are ready to play right away.
Warde Manuel a guest. Says he sees a lot of similarities between his former coach (Bo Schembechler at Michigan) and Geno.

Warde:Basketball facility will be best in the country.
Geno: The new facility and its scope are unbelievably impressive. No place in the country will have a better basketball facility than what we'll have.

Q to Geno from fan on fouls called. The next thing to do is take a look in the lane and what is happening off the ball and once clean that up we'll be in good shape.

Geno on UConn Men's Soccer coach. He's the best coach on campus. He has 11 players and none of them speak the same language. And he's from Long Island so nobody understands him, particularly the US kids.

Q from fan on upcoming games:
Geno mentioned a lot of interesting games in the schedule: Oregon, OSU, Cal, Duke, Louisville (x2), at Rutgers, at Baylor. Won't be a cakewalk.

Scheduling Q for Warde. Coaches generally tell us who they want to play and the administrators will go out and work with schedulers from other schools. At UConn, all coaches want to play tough competition.

Last edited:

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Geno on UConn Men's Soccer coach. He's the best coach on campus. He has 11 players and none of them speak the same language. And he's from Long Island so nobody understands him, particularly the US kids.

Classic.

And I can't wait to see Notre Dame eat up the ACC...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Another thing Geno talked about was PSU cutting the lead to 9 and Stewart said "it was really loud and a lot fun." Geno said he has to re-educate these kids about what fun is. "Fun for me is being up 23 and then going up 33. I don't think being up 23 and then being up 9 is any fun for me."

U

UCONNfan1

ND vs. Duke should be very interesting. I personally think Duke is the 2nd best team in the nation and they have tons of talent, but ND is a different kind of animal. Once they get Achonwa back, I think they could give Duke fits, and I think they will destroy UNC, and beat Maryland fairly handily...

U

UCONNfan1

Another thing Geno talked about was PSU cutting the lead to 9 and Stewart said "it was really loud and a lot fun." Geno said he has to re-educate these kids about what fun is. "Fun for me is being up 23 and then going up 33. I don't think being up 23 and then being up 9 is any fun for me."
Apparently Geno defines fun the same way I do...!

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Muffet is a way better coach than P., Hatchell or Frese. I think she will eat them alive.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sweet, Super, Cat - thanks all three of you for a great transcription service - they should get you all doing the post game pressers! And Cat, thanks for that follow-up - classic Geno!

Reaction Score
The difference in ND and the rest of the ACC is teams like ND and UCONN can shoot the rock and play serious defense. Watch Duke when they play UCONN their players start to take shots from 3 feet outside the 3 PT line........UCONN and ND pass the ball to get open shots like no others........ND might not be full strength until mid Jan, then, beware ACC

Reaction Score
Notre Dame against the ACC is going to be interesting. Everybody in that conference has basically played the same way for a long time. Basically running up and down the court with their athletes. No one in the conference plays a grind it out halfcourt style like a number of teams in the Big East played. Teams in the Big East may not be more talented, but they had to learn to deal with a Villanova, or a Rutgers, or a West Virginia. And being untested against disciplined halfcourt teams has hurt ACC teams in the NCAA's in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom