Geno should read the Boneyard. He could learn. . . | The Boneyard

Geno should read the Boneyard. He could learn. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . . that Kaleena is so out of shape and slow afoot that she is utterly incapable of playing the 2 and "chasing opponents' guards all over the perimeter."

Being ignorant of these "Boneyard facts," in the 2014 NC game vs. ND (just watched it again, on YouTube), he not only had KML guard ND's PG Allen most of the game, but had her switch off to Mabrey or even Loyd occasionally. She was coming off a serious elbow injury and a bout with mono, yet he left her on the court for 39+ minutes as she played a nearly flawless game in this classic beatdown of the accursed Notre Dame team.

Geno also forgot about Kaleena's shortcomings as a ball-handler and let her make several laser passes to teammates. We can hope that he will read the Boneyard this season and deploy Kaleena within her limitations as a defender and ball-handler. And limit her minutes until she gets in shape.:rolleyes:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
On a semi-related note, Geno does sometimes read the Boneyard. On the old Geno Show on CPTV, he directly referenced a post of mine back in 2012. It was not a coincidence; it couldn't have been.

Reaction Score
Having some health issues, I just took the opportunity to binge watch much of last season! I was struck by how well KML played towards the end of the season. Especially her rebounding, passing and other aspects besides shooting. She is valuable in so many ways.
Also struck by how well Saniya played for much of the season. Hope she can find her way back.

Reaction Score
I remember how absolutely startled we Boneyarders were a few games after KML's return from her elbow injury when we commented on how slow she was and then found out she had mono. A poster said she couldn't even lift her head when she had mono, and here was KML running all over the court.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
. . . that Kaleena is so out of shape and slow afoot that she is utterly incapable of playing the 2 and "chasing opponents' guards all over the perimeter."

Being ignorant of these "Boneyard facts," in the 2014 NC game vs. ND (just watched it again, on YouTube), he not only had KML guard ND's PG Allen most of the game, but had her switch off to Mabrey or even Loyd occasionally. She was coming off a serious elbow injury and a bout with mono, yet he left her on the court for 39+ minutes as she played a nearly flawless game in this classic beatdown of the accursed Notre Dame team.

Geno also forgot about Kaleena's shortcomings as a ball-handler and let her make several laser passes to teammates. We can hope that he will read the Boneyard this season and deploy Kaleena within her limitations as a defender and ball-handler. And limit her minutes until she gets in shape.:rolleyes:
Well just to put it context, ND played mostly a 3 guard offense (Allen, Loyd, McBride, with sub Mabrey). So KML was going to have to guard a guard no matter what. Loyd and McBride are much more dangerous offensively than Allen (only a FR). Jefferson got the McBride assignment, Hartley got the Loyd assignment and KML got the easiest Allen assignment.

Geno left KML on the floor for 39 minutes, not for her defense, but for her offense. Not saying her defense is bad, she's a decent defender, but that's not why she's on the floor.

Reaction Score
Geno left KML on the floor for 39 minutes, not for her defense, but for her offense. Not saying her defense is bad, she's a decent defender, but that's not why she's on the floor.

She is also a decent rebounder.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
She made huge strides her sophomore year, just incredible. And then got waylaid by her illnesses. Was amazing how she came back. The kid has the heart of a champion. And the stroke of one too!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Meyer7 - beat me to it. KML was great in the NCAAs and Uconn typically plays with the attitude that the other team needs to adjust to us, we don't have to adjust to them. ND was wounded and had to play three guards most of the game - Geno did not counter by playing three guards, but said instead said - prove that your three guards can handle us offensively and we will figure it out on defense.

The most noteworthy aspect of the Uconn defense to me was to counter speed (Loyd) with size (Hartley) and size (McBride) with speed (Jefferson). It worked brilliantly as both Hartley and Jefferson were able to really frustrate their players. And it was unexpected by me and I suspect most everyone else.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Well just to put it context, ND played mostly a 3 guard offense (Allen, Loyd, McBride, with sub Mabrey). So KML was going to have to guard a guard no matter what. Loyd and McBride are much more dangerous offensively than Allen (only a FR). Jefferson got the McBride assignment, Hartley got the Loyd assignment and KML got the easiest Allen assignment.

I guess it worked. Allen scored 2 points and Kaleena nailed 18. Had she been in shape, Allen might have been shut out completely.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
On the minus side for KML, Allen averaged 4 assists on the season and in the NC she got 5.

On the plus side for KML, Allen was shooting around 51% going into the NC game, and she finished the year at 49.7%.

You win some, you ignore some.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I get the original point, but perhaps I missed a bunch of posts blasting KML for her fitness? There was an article, or something in the blog of one of the horde members' talking about Kaleena - that her body type will never be like Brianna Banks or Ashley Battle or Kalana Greene. But that doesn't mean she can't be a competent defender, which she certainly is.

I also thought I recalled something from the trainer about her body type and maximizing what KML could do given the way she's built, and that it's just fine for her. She is an outstanding player - one of the top 5 in the country, maybe top 2 or 3 IMHO.

But if this relates to the opinion that starters should be Jefferson, KML, Tuck, Stewie and Kiah, then I disagree and I'm not sure what KML's fitness, or perceived lack of it, has to do with anything.

The reason Tuck should not start is UCONN has no other post players on the bench. Our most talented team may well be the 5 I just listed, and we certainly may see that lineup often, but starters should be Jefferson, KML, Stewie, Stokes, and one of Chong/Nurse/Williams (unless Edwards or Ekmark really impress).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom