Geno On Two-Site Regionals | The Boneyard

Geno On Two-Site Regionals

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
It would be interesting to see the analysis behind this decision from a few years ago. He has good points about making the sport available for more people, and that 2 regionals doesn't do that. The current system also limits who can sponsor the regionals, as you need 2x the number of hotels for teams and fans. With the increased focus on WBB and the widening of fan base, four separate regionals should be reimplemented.

The one thing I do like is that the NCAA brought all of the final fours together - D1, 2, 3. That is pretty cool.

Reaction Score
I liked it when Berube's Tufts played with all Huskie Fans reeching for them

Jds

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Of Course he is right. They are doing this just as Women's basketball is becoming popular and could better support 4 regionals. The NCAA should go back to four regionals ASAP but they won't. 2 Regionals saves them money.
For sure, a four regional sites would be better for Womens'BasketBall, but as you suggested is it better for NCAA's dollars ?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Well if it's because of the money, why did the NCAA continue with ESPN for another 9 years without putting it out for bid? They could have had a bidding war, but just extended the contract.

Reaction Score
Well if it's because of the money, why did the NCAA continue with ESPN for another 9 years without putting it out for bid? They could have had a bidding war, but just extended the contract.
I would love it if CBS or FOX got it instead.

Reaction Score
Well you must accord to ESPN they were the first to give a lot of attemption to WBB , even to High Scholl in the Maya Moore / Tina Charles era

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to see the analysis behind this decision from a few years ago. He has good points about making the sport available for more people, and that 2 regionals doesn't do that. The current system also limits who can sponsor the regionals, as you need 2x the number of hotels for teams and fans. With the increased focus on WBB and the widening of fan base, four separate regionals should be reimplemented.

The one thing I do like is that the NCAA brought all of the final fours together - D1, 2, 3. That is pretty cool.
Didn't exactly bring them together. The D3 women's final four was in Columbus this past weekend. NYU beat Smith, from Northampton,Ma, in the championship game. As we practically live on the Smith campus, we have really enjoyed following them for many years, especially with them in the Final Four the last 2 years. Talk about the transfer portal : Morgan Morrison was D3 player of the year for Smith last year, and used her covid year, transferring to NYU to get her masters in electrical engineering. Of course, she was a big factor for NYU all season,including against her old mates in the final.

Reaction Score
While I can sympathize with their points, as a fan who is likely going to have to travel to a regional regardless of where it is, I want as many games as possible in the city I'm going to. That being said, it does make the hotel stay significantly longer as you're going to be there from Friday-Tuesday morning if you'd like to go to all the games instead.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
A bit more to add (apologies for paywall)
Lynn Holzman, the NCAA’s vice president for women’s basketball, told The Athletic this week that she is urging the Division I women’s basketball committee to expedite its review of site format in light of the shattered attendance records and trendlines for the sport overall. The committee had said in 2022 that it wanted to re-evaluate first- and second-round sites as well as the double regional format in 2025; Holzman said she wants the review to begin after this year’s Final Four.
Indiana coach Teri Moran said the goal of earning the opportunity to host is something that keeps her team motivated and focused throughout the year. Oregon State coach Scott Rueck said he supports it because it guarantees a great environment to play in, even if a team is the lower seed playing in essentially a road environment. Notre Dame coach Niele Ivey said every team that hosts gained the opportunity by winning hard games over the regular season.
“We’re still heartbroken, we’re still down, but I think our kids would tell you they’d rather experience that than go play in Omaha on a neutral court in front of 1,100 people,” Fennelly said. “The environment at Stanford was phenomenal.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom