Geno on how the Summitt feud happened - video | The Boneyard

Geno on how the Summitt feud happened - video

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
This video is about a year old, but I hadn't seen it before. I thought it was an interesting insight into Geno's view.

Link

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Media often creates images or stories of conflict between or among persons in sports (and politics and entertainment, etc.) because it sells media ... Geno makes that clear in his discussion ... Geno's understanding that Tennessee women's basketball had difficulty, practically and emotionally, coming to terms with UConn's persistently getting the better of them in basketball wins and recruiting over time ... and that UConn was not going away .... coupled with the media personalizing a perceived and overblown conflict among the coaches ... in large part caused the discontinuance of the series among these two great powerhouses ...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I still feel the whole thing with Muffett and Geno was completely overblown as well - that at least was just snakiness rather than NCAA complaints, but it never really felt 'organic' to me.

Reaction Score
I think it's a particularly brilliant response. It doesn't quite accept the bait. He implies that Tennessee's response (and Pat's) may have been exaggerated, but diffuses any malice of intent.

Reaction Score
Its over Johnnie..........Who's next?..........Is it USC, Texas, ND, Tenn this season?.......That is why we play the games.........I hope and pray that all the top teams stay healthy and reach their own potential this season..........NO EXCUSES, PLEASE!!!

Reaction Score
To the best of my recollections the SEC, at the request of Summitt and/or their AD filed a complaint against UConn for perceived recruiting violations. I think there were a half dozen or so accusations. The ESPN/phone call for Moore and I believe her mother to get the tour was made but at that time the general public could have made the call and requested and gotten the tour so it really was no big deal. I seem to also remember another violation was supposed to have been the misuse of former players at some specific event. Problem was it was supposed to have been Taurasi and Bird and they were 10000 miles away in Russia when they were meeting these recruits. BTW the other recent stupid action by the NCAA was finding another secondary violation against Geno for his phone call with the LL kid, Mo'ne Davis. SEC and Vanderbilt the culprits there.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not anything new. His last line - you think he's going to explain, but he says something like "then we went out and got a kid from Atlanta - you know, something that never would have happened in the past, and then... dumb stuff..."

Yeah, it was dumb stuff. He alludes to Tenn accusing UCONN of unethical recruiting (something delusional Tenn fans still believe to this day and will take to their graves). I know what they accused him of but am not sure I'm allowed to say on our board. But Tenn fans certainly complained loudly and often about what they think Geno did. It's kind of funny - that something that is really no secret (sort of like Voldemort - "He Who Must Not Be Named") - almost everyone knows what she accused him of, but we all tap dance around it.

Anyway, they wanted to go after UCONN for violations. 39 pages worth. Even quoting people from the BY in part of their complaint (for giving hand made signs to recruits at First Night). The ONLY violation that stuck was that a UCONN staffer made a phone call on behalf of the Moore family for an ESPN tour. By the way, Geno at one point said something like he'd "never voluntarily play them until they apologize to Maya and her family for the accusations Tenn made about them".

I get the feeling at this point, he'd just as soon not discuss it since it would be hard and unfair to try to get answers from Pat given her Alzheimer's disease. He's class act - preferring not to go deep and encourage any more tainting of her legacy. The whole thing was unfortunate and embarrassing for Tennessee, and while fans of both teams will always be on polar opposites of the issue, one side has facts (UCONN) and the other lies. It will never be resolved, but it certainly will be discussed if the team ever meet in the NCAA's...

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
C'mon Eric. Everybody knows that Auriemma bought Moore's mother a 4 bedroom house and set up her phony business in the co-op to explain the money she was getting under the table. He also got MM a guaranteed contract with ESPN after her bball career is over. I know all that is the truth because I read all about it on the Summitt. They even provided colored charts as proof.

As you said, most know the real reason, the one that can't be discussed in public. However, I have always had a nagging suspicion that particular rumor was created within Summitt's inner circle as payback for Auriemma poaching (their perspective) Maya Moore away from the sainted one.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I mean Geno is getting them back by not starting Parker and Catchings in the 2012 Olympics and the likely 2016 games <<insert obnoxious eye roll here>>

Reaction Score
C'mon Eric. Everybody knows that Auriemma bought Moore's mother a 4 bedroom house and set up her phony business in the co-op to explain the money she was getting under the table. He also got MM a guaranteed contract with ESPN after her bball career is over. I know all that is the truth because I read all about it on the Summitt. They even provided colored charts as proof.

As you said, most know the real reason, the one that can't be discussed in public. However, I have always had a nagging suspicion that particular rumor was created within Summitt's inner circle as payback for Auriemma poaching (their perspective) Maya Moore away from the sainted one.
I will give you my thoughts on the "reasons" Summitt dropped the series and for the life of me I do not understand what can not be discussed in public. If the owner of the boards wants me to take back what I will relate so be it. Several years ago in a comment section from who knows where I got engaged in a very honest and civil discussion with a gal who represented herself to be a daughter of folks who were within the "inner circle" at Tenn. She did not generally disagree that the "loss" of Maya may have been the proverbial straw but the undercurrent was quite different. The allegation was that whomever was recruiting in the home of a prospect (and apparently the suggestion was that more than a couple of schools were also doing this) that a "code phrase" would be used to suggest to the recruit that either coaches or players at some of the competing schools were hom0sexual. As I recall she said the "magic words" involved to the effect you really want to go to a school with better "family values" . All I can say from a fan perspective is that I really wanted players who could dribble, rebound, pass, and shoot and also honestly to stay eligible. Whatever the orientation of a recruit I would think that most coaches would overwhelmingly feel the same way. If the player can make your team and program better what else do you need? So that's what I understand and now it's on the table.

Reaction Score
Some very selective memories about this. IIRC, the Boneyard (you know who we are) was a part of Tennessee's bit*h. :)

Reaction Score
I will give you my thoughts on the "reasons" Summitt dropped the series and for the life of me I do not understand what can not be discussed in public. If the owner of the boards wants me to take back what I will relate so be it. Several years ago in a comment section from who knows where I got engaged in a very honest and civil discussion with a gal who represented herself to be a daughter of folks who were within the "inner circle" at Tenn. She did not generally disagree that the "loss" of Maya may have been the proverbial straw but the undercurrent was quite different. The allegation was that whomever was recruiting in the home of a prospect (and apparently the suggestion was that more than a couple of schools were also doing this) that a "code phrase" would be used to suggest to the recruit that either coaches or players at some of the competing schools were hom0sexual. As I recall she said the "magic words" involved to the effect you really want to go to a school with better "family values" ....

I've never gotten the impression that Geno could give two hoots and a holler about this particular issue. UConn is really being accused of this kind of negative recruiting? And Geno, et al, have supposedly pointed to the Vols as being particularly representative of the supposed problem? I think Geno and Chris have more important things on their minds when they recruit players than what their sexual preferences are, and they certainly have stronger things to point to about UConn and their teams than this non-issue to use to convince recruits that UConn is a better place for them to be than the University of X, Y, or Z.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I've never gotten the impression that Geno could give two hoots and a holler about this particular issue. UConn is really being accused of this kind of negative recruiting? And Geno, et al, have supposedly pointed to the Vols as being particularly representative of the supposed problem? I think Geno and Chris have more important things on their minds when they recruit players than what their sexual preferences are, and they certainly have stronger things to point to about UConn and their teams than this non-issue to use to convince recruits that UConn is a better place for them to be than the University of X, Y, or Z.
maybe not now... but in the past who knows.

people do interesting things to get to the top

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"maybe not now... but in the past who knows"

Wasn't there something similar regarding Vanderveer in the 90's? I seem to remember that Auriemma suspected her of not playing Lobo during the '96 Olympics as payback.

Reaction Score
"maybe not now... but in the past who knows"

Wasn't there something similar regarding Vanderveer in the 90's? I seem to remember that Auriemma suspected her of not playing Lobo during the '96 Olympics as payback.
I think TV even lobbied against putting RL on the Olympic team, and had to be reminded that Rebecca was the new face of the new WNBA and they needed the pub.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Not anything new. His last line - you think he's going to explain, but he says something like "then we went out and got a kid from Atlanta - you know, something that never would have happened in the past, and then... dumb stuff..."

Yeah, it was dumb stuff. He alludes to Tenn accusing UCONN of unethical recruiting (something delusional Tenn fans still believe to this day and will take to their graves). I know what they accused him of but am not sure I'm allowed to say on our board. But Tenn fans certainly complained loudly and often about what they think Geno did. It's kind of funny - that something that is really no secret (sort of like Voldemort - "He Who Must Not Be Named") - almost everyone knows what she accused him of, but we all tap dance around it.

Anyway, they wanted to go after UCONN for violations. 39 pages worth. Even quoting people from the BY in part of their complaint (for giving hand made signs to recruits at First Night). The ONLY violation that stuck was that a UCONN staffer made a phone call on behalf of the Moore family for an ESPN tour. By the way, Geno at one point said something like he'd "never voluntarily play them until they apologize to Maya and her family for the accusations Tenn made about them".

I get the feeling at this point, he'd just as soon not discuss it since it would be hard and unfair to try to get answers from Pat given her Alzheimer's disease. He's class act - preferring not to go deep and encourage any more tainting of her legacy. The whole thing was unfortunate and embarrassing for Tennessee, and while fans of both teams will always be on polar opposites of the issue, one side has facts (UCONN) and the other lies. It will never be resolved, but it certainly will be discussed if the team ever meet in the NCAA's...

I've heard that Tennessee is withholding definitive proof of UConn's nefarious activities and they plan to release it to tarnish Geno's reputation in a future recruiting war. A friend of a friend within the Tennessee organization proudly told me that they have twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against us.

Apparently, they can't get over the fact that, since UConn came along, they can't get anything they want.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
coming to terms with UConn's persistently getting the better of them in basketball wins and recruiting over time ... and that UConn was not going away.
The rivalry went back and forth and for the most part was heavily dependent on the recruits. Lobo, Bird, DT, Holdsclaw Parker all change the trajectory of the rivalry and Maya and EDD would have as well. At the time of the cancellation of the rivalry (last game was 2007) it was the Lady Vols who had won the last three meetings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UConn–Tennessee_rivalry

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I've heard that Tennessee is withholding definitive proof of UConn's nefarious activities and they plan to release it to tarnish Geno's reputation in a future recruiting war. A friend of a friend within the Tennessee organization proudly told me that they have twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against us.

Apparently, they can't get over the fact that, since UConn came along, they can't get anything they want.
LOL good one!

Reaction Score
To the best of my recollections the SEC, at the request of Summitt and/or their AD filed a complaint against UConn for perceived recruiting violations. I think there were a half dozen or so accusations. The ESPN/phone call for Moore and I believe her mother to get the tour was made but at that time the general public could have made the call and requested and gotten the tour so it really was no big deal. I seem to also remember another violation was supposed to have been the misuse of former players at some specific event. Problem was it was supposed to have been Taurasi and Bird and they were 10000 miles away in Russia when they were meeting these recruits. BTW the other recent stupid action by the NCAA was finding another secondary violation against Geno for his phone call with the LL kid, Mo'ne Davis. SEC and Vanderbilt the culprits there.

BILL---There is no better expert on this subject than MEYERS7. hE directed me to a whole parcel of SEC/NCAA documents. Im sure if he is asked nicely he ll provide the details you are lacking. It is great that Geno talked about this so non combative in tone. I still doubt Geno will give in and play home and homes with Tn ever again..

Reaction Score

Do you really believe That TN, ND, USC, Ohio, Stanford--on an on if this nefarious activities documentation exists that no one would have used it by now????? My comment to your friend is BULL PUCKY

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Do you really believe That TN, ND, USC, Ohio, Stanford--on an on if this nefarious activities documentation exists that no one would have used it by now????? My comment to your friend is BULL PUCKY

My friend Obie is in law enforcement -- he's a pretty straight shooter. He tells me when they start dishing the trash it will be a real massacree.

Reaction Score
My friend Obie is in law enforcement -- he's a pretty straight shooter. He tells me when they start dishing the trash it will be a real massacree.
Interesting. FairView's source has transitioned from being "a friend of a friend within the Tennessee organization" to a "straight shooter" who is " in law enforcement." He or she is apparently moving inexorably toward becoming a paragon of credibility. These graduated enhancements in the source's credibility are really nothing more than a variant of the grade school game of "I know something you don't know." In the absence on ANY credible evidence, why not take your unsubstantiated rumors to The Summitt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom