Geno Ignites Firestorm.. | The Boneyard

Geno Ignites Firestorm..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you don't think Geno Auriemma is one of the most influential and intelligent coaches in any sport, just look at the thoughtful firestorm of discussions he ignited as a result of his comment about what's wrong with the men's game ( a "joke").

I'm watching ESPN's SportsCenter's Final Four GameDay right now (for the guys), and Geno's criticisms of men's basketball rules and play has been the topic of a great discussion for the past 25 minutes. Jay Bilas is extremely supportive of Geno's comments, as are several of the other speakers. When I first heard Geno's comments, I figured he was going to get roasted and toasted by those ESPN folks who have a huge fiduciary interest in the game. Instead, what I heard was almost universal praise for his insightfulness and the guts to express it.

Even outside of WCBB, you are the man, Geno.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I saw that and yes it was great

They also had a segment earlier about how the "one and done" is hurting the men's game.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Not sure if Dick Vitale was on the broadcast. But originally he lambasted Geno for his comments. He now agrees with Geno, just didn't like the word "Joke" that Geno used.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
To be fair, he did not start this discussion, it has been a topic for a while. That is why the question was asked in the first place. But, no question that Geno's bluntness and his celebrity status, and his contacts throughout both sides of the game have indeed brought it much more focus.
I think some of the folks that had knee jerk reactions, or who only were given the 'headline' and responded to that are probably regretting publicizing their 'what does he know' 'WBB v. MBB is the joke' comments.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not sure if Dick Vitale was on the broadcast. But originally he lambasted Geno for his comments. He now agrees with Geno, just didn't like the word "Joke" that Geno used.
Exactly what I was thinking when typing the last sentence above! Backtrack fast by DickieV

Reaction Score
I'm glad the experts are discussing Geno's ideas, which I thought were pretty good. I think ESPN wants to increase the quality of men's basketball so they get more viewers (same with womens). I think much of the intial reaction was caused by Geno's phrasing rather than ideas (it was just Geno being Geno). It was pretty disheartening to see a lot of the internet comments about it, a lot of angry reaction with no discussion of content.

Reaction Score
Do you think Geno may say something to get attention shifted on himself and away from his players? Maybe to keep some pressure off of them?

Reaction Score
I just watched the end of the Wyoming - Kentucky game. Geno's comments were spot on.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Geno simply tells the truth. No equivocating. The Men's game can be a sleepfest at times just like the NBA. Dunks and threes. Wake me up when we get to the last two minutes.
That's what I cannot understand about the men's game. You usually only need to watch the last 2 minutes. Which can be half as long as a women's entire game.

Reaction Score
One thing I noticed is that in the blog they made reference to the "incomparable John Wooden" which seems to suggest there is no one to compare to John Wooden and yet there are many people who are now comparing Geno to Wooden since he may be on the verge of a tenth national championship. I personally think there is something extra special for Geno because the NCAA tournament is (or was) 64 teams and so the tournament is winning six games rather than the four that Wooden won. Beyond that, Geno hasn't had a booster buying players to come to Storrs Connecticut.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And now the focus is on Geno and off the kids.

Reaction Score
And now the focus is on Geno and off the kids.
Are you meaning this is Geno's way of directing the pressure and stress onto him and off of them or saying something completely different? I'm not quite sure!

Reaction Score
Coach K on Geno's comments regarding the men's game:

"Geno and I are good friends -- he must have had a couple good glasses of wine before he said that," Krzyzewski said, half-jokingly. "That probably wasn't the smartest statement he made."

[LINK]

Reaction Score
Always interesting to talk about ideas. From what I've gathered, most men's coaches would welcome Geno putting his money where his mouth is and take a job on the men's side.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
But when Mark Cuban, billionaire, comments about how college basketball is ruining the NBA, not as much criticism.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Always interesting to talk about ideas. From what I've gathered, most men's coaches would welcome Geno putting his money where his mouth is and take a job on the men's side.
And few women's coaches would welcome trading what they have for a job on the men's side (except for a significant boost in earnings!)
I have never heard a coach of a college program (in any sport) say that what they love about their job is recruiting! Not one!

And on the men's side because of the constant drain of top talent into the pros recruiting is probably more important than coaching if you are aiming at the very top. The mid tier of the men's game has a larger retention rate, but a much tougher road to the NCs. On the women's side Geno can choose recruits he wants to coach and if he misses out on that select group it is not a disaster because he still has the last three year's of recruits on his team and he can wait a year for a fresh group of players he wants to coach. No men's coach has that luxury.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Are you meaning this is Geno's way of directing the pressure and stress onto him and off of them or saying something completely different? I'm not quite sure!
Exactly, Geno prefers to get the FF pressure of the kids. Now the media is focusing on what Geno said instead increasing the pressure on the kids with tons of questions and speculation. It is a regular part of his FF process.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Coach K on Geno's comments regarding the men's game:

"Geno and I are good friends -- he must have had a couple good glasses of wine before he said that," Krzyzewski said, half-jokingly. "That probably wasn't the smartest statement he made."

[LINK]
Smart maybe, maybe not. Honest, absolutely, and others get it.

Reaction Score
Exactly, Geno prefers to get the FF pressure of the kids. Now the media is focusing on what Geno said instead increasing the pressure on the kids with tons of questions and speculation. It is a regular part of his FF process.
I don't think he does or needs to do that. Besides, what is this focus on the kids stuff? The kids can't avoid the media even if Geno said 'no', so him attempting to take the focus off of them is impossible. Geno said later that he was basically baited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom