Geno Auriemma: "Mr. Women's Basketball" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno Auriemma: "Mr. Women's Basketball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
An excellent article. Geno as Geno. Good stuff by Shea as well.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I loved that video!!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
This article shows why we love him and why fans of other team/s hate him

Reaction Score
You can see why the best players in the world want to play for Geno and be part of his team success. It does not matter if its UCONN, USA players.....Players come to learn and get better with no fluff.......Thanks Geno.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Great Article. One point you get from it. Playing for Geno will stretch you. Make you somebody special, somebody you never thought you could be. His teachings make you successful at whatever you do because you have learned what it takes to win. You learn the price you have to pay to be great. The girls who play for him have their lives changed forever and his teachings will last their lifetime. Many of his teachings will not be realized until years later. A truly great story about a legend in his own time.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
When Taurasi left UConn without her degree to play in the WNBA, [Geno] banned her from the campus until she got her degree.

This I did not know. Good for Geno.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
"Girls don't learn how to play basketball the way guys do," says Geno. "Guys learn in an empty gym in 3-on-3 games. There's 20 other guys waiting to play if you lose, so you've got to learn to read the floor, see things, and react or else you lose and sit down for an hour. That's hard to teach, and that's basically what I'm teaching my 'guys,' how to be instinctive players. From early on, girls learn basketball on organized teams, not in pick-up, three-man games. They want to be told by me what to do. I want them to know what to do on their own. I don't want to be too much the Padrone so they're always looking to the sidelines for me to tell them something. I tell them, ‘Yo, dude, Christ, you figure it out.'"

This explains a lot about why certain players don't play, doesn't it?

Reaction Score
Sally Jenkins (sallyjenx) recently tweeted; "The main anecdotes in Pat Jordan's piece on Geno Auriemma come from Jackie MacMullen's book. Only, he never mentions that. Pure class."

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sally Jenkins (sallyjenx) recently tweeted; "The main anecdotes in Pat Jordan's piece on Geno Auriemma come from Jackie MacMullen's book. Only, he never mentions that. Pure class."
Sally Jenkins, ghost writer for Pat Summit's books. 'Nuff said.

Reaction Score
What does Sally's accusation about Pat Jordan using Jackie MacMullen's work without giving proper credit, have anything to do with Pat? Sally is sticking up for Jackie, who authored the book about Geno/UConn.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Excellent read. Also loved that his family has roots a few towns over from where my parents are from in Italy.

Reaction Score
The middle section, starting with the part about the problem with Geno's book, sounds off base to me. In the book he says what a jerk he was for treating that UConn reporter like that (but he did tell the anecdote; was he apologizing for what everybody knew or putting in the self-deprecation so he could tell the anecdote?). CD says how supportive he was when her father died, not that he was so focused on himself. And he banned Diana from Gampel (not campus) to motivate her to get her degree. I think he broke Sue Bird to see how far she could go under pressure (but I don't like that story myself). So Jordan's article is one-sided, but doesn't every story have two sides?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think he took anecdotes from the book and used them to tell part of the story, about how Geno sees himself, how the rest of the world sees him, etc. He definitely mentions the book and the ghostwriter, so...isn't that giving credit? I'm confused...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think he took anecdotes from the book and used them to tell part of the story, about how Geno sees himself, how the rest of the world sees him, etc. He definitely mentions the book and the ghostwriter, so...isn't that giving credit? I'm confused...
Exactly, and since Jackie's job was helping with Geno's autobiography and Geno told the story on himself isn't crediting the book misplaced, also.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Sally Jenkins posted 3 tweets today. The one you quoted, another where she rips the author for claiming something to the effect of Pat Jordan stating the Williams Sister would do nothing in tennis(which has been deleted) and this tweet: "Pat Jordan thinks wimmin didnt play proper hoops til recently. That's going to come as a surprise to Miller, Swoopes, Staley, Lesley..."

It's obvious she has some sort of agenda or beef with Pat Jordan. Her last personal tweet prior to this was on Feb 17th.

Reaction Score
Sally Jenkins posted 3 tweets today. The one you quoted, another where she rips the author for claiming something to the effect of Pat Jordan stating the Williams Sister would do nothing in tennis(which has been deleted) and this tweet: "Pat Jordan thinks wimmin didnt play proper hoops til recently. That's going to come as a surprise to Miller, Swoopes, Staley, Lesley..."

It's obvious she has some sort of agenda or beef with Pat Jordan. Her last personal tweet prior to this was on Feb 17th.

that's was my take, a beef toward Jordan.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
When Taurasi left UConn without her degree to play in the WNBA, [Geno] banned her from the campus until she got her degree.

I didn't either!! I didn't even know she left without getting her degree... that seems crazy to me.. 4 years and a sociology major, how in God's name do you not get your degree?!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I didn't either!! I didn't even know she left without getting her degree... that seems crazy to me.. 4 years and a sociology major, how in God's name do you not get your degree?!
I believe that occurs for some because they leave for the WNBA beforevfinishing classes in the spring semester. The timing of the start of the league is not good for all schools. I do not remember if this was the full basis of Diana's situation. I suspect not since Geno used such a heavy stick.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

She had a LOT going on. But Geno isn't one to accept excuses.

Some, many of the UConn players have been model students. Diana isn't in that group. I think she planned to just finish on time, but back to back to back national championships, and the pressure of carrying the team the last year got to be too much of a load, and studies slipped. I wouldn't be surprised if she thought it was no big deal, but Geno wasn't about to let that go, so he told her she wasn't allowed back to visit until she finished. IIRC it wasn't the fall semester, but the following spring when she completed it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
overall very good article, but disappointed that he felt the need to drop so many f-bombs. really no excuse for that, especially with a reporter. he's certainly intelligent enough to use better words in casual conversation. it's not like he was all fired up and screaming at a ref...

That's how men talk, eric.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sally Jenkins posted.... this tweet: "Pat Jordan thinks wimmin didnt play proper hoops til recently. That's going to come as a surprise to Miller, Swoopes, Staley, Lesley..."

Isn't that tweet just proof that Jenkins still doesn't get? She is talking about great individual players, Jordan was emphasizing Geno's team approach to the game. Summitt was all about "defense and rebounding". She would bring in the most athletic players she could and motivate them within an inch of their life. Her offense was all about chucking the ball up and getting the rebounds for the putbacks. Geno with his passing and cutting took the game to the next level.

Reaction Score

Just curious - how do you get a degree without going on campus, at least to a limited extent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom