Game of Thrones - Season 4 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Game of Thrones - Season 4

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
Really? I have read all 5 books and it is still not clear to me exactly what happened at the Purple Wedding.

In the books it's not clear. Last night was. If you read books I can PM interesting link.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Really? I have read all 5 books and it is still not clear to me exactly what happened at the Purple Wedding.

They cover it in the books later on, though you can miss it quite easily compared to the inquest immediately following the wedding. The most difficult thing for me watching the TV series is that books 4 and 5 occur at the same time, so season 4 is pulling material from books 3,4, & 5. I read them in order and am having a hard time remembering what I read because the events on screen happened months apart as I was reading them.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm with Nelson - I read the books and have no idea what really happened last night.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If anyone really wants to know, DM me, but it's not an incredibly important plot point. The important part is Joffrey isn't King any longer and what that unleashes. The facts surrounding his death are more interesting twist.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They cover it in the books later on, though you can miss it quite easily compared to the inquest immediately following the wedding. The most difficult thing for me watching the TV series is that books 4 and 5 occur at the same time, so season 4 is pulling material from books 3,4, & 5. I read them in order and am having a hard time remembering what I read because the events on screen happened months apart as I was reading them.

The only time the events of the purple wedding are "covered" is in the diatribe of a noted liar when he is trying to manipulate Sansa.

A key narrative feature of Martin's books is their changing point of view from chapter to chapter. There is no central narrator telling you facts, you only learn what each character is hearing and seeing. Sometimes you have to piece the facts together from all the POV chapters to determine what really happens.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Upon further review, HBO appears to have picked a path with the assassination that Martin did not do in the books. I actually thought that there were two separate plots to kill Joffrey in the book and that Tywin suspected one or both of them and allowed them to happen anyway.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I was reading a thread on another board that pointed out there is evidence of another group behind the assassination of Joffrey. It is not clear what happened.

Reaction Score
I was reading a thread on another board that pointed out there is evidence of another group behind the assassination of Joffrey. It is not clear what happened.

Watch the last scene again.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Watch the last scene again.

I have seen it, and I have seen the breakdown of the necklace. I get that. But at some point in the books, 3 different groups allude to taking credit for killing Joffrey, and no explanation is ever given for why these three would ever cooperate. So they are either separate plots, one or more of them is lying, or there will hopefully be an explanation for why the three of them conspired together.

Reaction Score
I have seen it, and I have seen the breakdown of the necklace. I get that. But at some point in the books, 3 different groups allude to taking credit for killing Joffrey, and no explanation is ever given for why these three would ever cooperate. So they are either separate plots, one or more of them is lying, or there will hopefully be an explanation for why the three of them conspired together.

The book was pretty clear, unless you think what Sansa is told is a complete lie (And a very good one based on the evidence)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The book was pretty clear, unless you think what Sansa is told is a complete lie (And a very good one based on the evidence)

Littlefinger lies all the time and he never explains why the Tyrells would let him in on their scheme.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:

It is not yet entirely clear what happened in the books. It is entirely clear what happened in the HBO series. Not the first ( or last ) the show changes up the books.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
I read all the books and have no recollection of these 3 groups, but then again there is a lot from the books I have forgotten. From my memory of the books, GRRM really only takes one angle regarding Joffrey's murder, the angle that has been discussed already in this thread. Alas, I digress...

The below article is a really good read. It links to a lot of different fan theories and sites and then even quotes GRRM's Rolling Stone interview regarding Joffrey's murder. NOTE, if you have not read the books DO NOT read the article.

http://flavorwire.com/451715/how-game-of-thrones-book-fans-investigated-joffreys-murder/

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So...am I late to the party, or did you know that Shae (Tyrian's whore played by Sibel Kikelli) used to be a star? Ummm, there is a lot of really clips out there on your favorite site if you search on her real name. Enjoy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I read all the books and have no recollection of these 3 groups, but then again there is a lot from the books I have forgotten. From my memory of the books, GRRM really only takes one angle regarding Joffrey's murder, the angle that has been discussed already in this thread. Alas, I digress...

The below article is a really good read. It links to a lot of different fan theories and sites and then even quotes GRRM's Rolling Stone interview regarding Joffrey's murder. NOTE, if you have not read the books DO NOT read the article.

http://flavorwire.com/451715/how-game-of-thrones-book-fans-investigated-joffreys-murder/

Littlefinger may have been part of the plot, or simply known about it. I am not, by the way, saying that Olenna and Margaery didn't kill Joffrey. The Tyrells are probably the strongest players after Littlefinger and Tywin, and Joffrey was dangerous to them. I am just saying I am not 100% sure. Even Martin's own comments point out that he has more to reveal about the events of the Purple Wedding.

I watched the episode again last night:

1) Olenna and Tywin are talking about how the Iron Bank always gets paid.
2) Cersei sends off the Pycelle, the one person that might have known how to save Joffrey, for a contrived reason.

I am going to let this sit for a while. For those just watching the show without reading the books, there are a few minor spoilers in this thread, but you will also note that even among the readers, and the author himself, there seems to be some ambiguity about this event.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So...am I late to the party, or did you know that Shae (Tyrian's whore played by Sibel Kikelli) used to be a smut star? Ummm, there is a lot of really clips out there on your favorite site if you search on her real name. Enjoy.

Did not know that. Interesting. For some reason, she doesn't really do it for me. Ygritte, on the other hand, is awesome. If you told me she had done smut, I would be buying every video I could find right this second. Much like with the book, you wonder WTF Jon Snow was thinking. She was ready to run off with him, and he chooses to stay with a bunch of freaks and convicts in the middle of nowhere to fight zombies. Idiot.

Reaction Score
Did not know that. Interesting. For some reason, she doesn't really do it for me. Ygritte, on the other hand, is awesome. If you told me she had done smut, I would be buying every video I could find right this second. Much like with the book, you wonder WTF Jon Snow was thinking. She was ready to run off with him, and he chooses to stay with a bunch of freaks and convicts in the middle of nowhere to fight zombies. Idiot.

Listen. I'm not saying Shae is my favorite on the show....but seeing her in that "sort of role" wasn't the worst thing I've had to watch...

Reaction Score
Even Martin's own comments point out that he has more to reveal about the events of the Purple Wedding.

This I agree with. He basically says he's leading the reader to that conclusion, but doesn't say whether it's the correct conclusion . . .

Reaction Score
Listen. I'm not saying Shae is my favorite on the show....but seeing her in that "sort of role" wasn't the worst thing I've had to watch...

She certainly has a wide array of talents . . .

Reaction Score

Jon Snow has these funny things going on in his head. They are called values. I guess he is smart enough to know that even if he runs off with his girlfriend, then the rest of his world will still be up the creek.

Reaction Score
Littlefinger lies all the time and he never explains why the Tyrells would let him in on their scheme.

Littlefinger wasn't let in on the scheme. He instigated the scheme when arranging the marriage. He's the reason why Grandma Tyrell thought to ask Sansa about Joffrey as a person---I believe the answer, once coaxed out of a frightened Sansa, was something along the lines of he's a monster---Grandma was looking for confirmation of something she was warned about.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I bet Martin's slow pace on the books has already created some problems for the show's producers, which may explain the meetings with Martin over the last year. The show needs to adapt the book to the small screen, and has made several logical cuts by consolidating characters and cutting out secondary story lines. The producers need to know what Martin's plans are very various characters now before they cut them out, since some of the storylines from the current season already extend into Book 5.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I bet Martin's slow pace on the books has already created some problems for the show's producers, which may explain the meetings with Martin over the last year. The show needs to adapt the book to the small screen, and has made several logical cuts by consolidating characters and cutting out secondary story lines. The producers need to know what Martin's plans are very various characters now before they cut them out, since some of the storylines from the current season already extend into Book 5.

As a reader of the books I think the TV producers have done a great job adapting the books. The Purple Wedding was done almost exactly the same way in the book. My biggest issue with the adaptation was with The House of The Undying scene in Book/Season 2. They left out so many of Dany's visions that seem to foreshadow so many events. I also wish they would have included the scene where Myra told Bran the story of The Knight of The Laughing Tree. So much can be see from that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom