Gabby Williams and Rio in 2016? | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams and Rio in 2016?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
We read that Gabby was considering doing a redshirt year in basketball and concentrating on the high jump
during her soph year in college....with the hope of making the USA track team for Rio in the high jump.
She was 5th in the USA trials in 2012 at the age of 15 with a jump of just over 6'2". After her injury there were articles
that suggested she missed basketball more than track so that would seem to put the redshirt idea on the back burner.

Just wondering if she might consider: Play basketball for UConn in her soph year...the 2015-2016 season. The season would end
in early April [hopefully] with a win in the last game. Take a little time off and then work on the high jump with the UConn track team.
She would have to reach a certain height in competition to be invited to the USA Olympic trials....normally in late June. If things are going well in practice sessions enter a couple of meets and try to get that height....I suspect it is around 6' or a bit less.

If she gets it, go to the trials and give it a shot. Make the team and spend the summer continuing to work on the high jump and go to Rio for a once in a lifetime experience. Come back in the fall and resume her hoops career as a junior. If she doesn't make the team, at least she gave it a go. Spend the summer doing normal basketball stuff.

It would make for a very busy spring/summer if she made the team. Try to include appropriate rest.

If she did make the Rio high jump team, Geno could bring some basketball players to her competition for some serious cheering....including a bunch [hopefully] of UConn basketball players....Maya, Dee plus others too numerous to mention.

Wonder if she might consider that. I read that all the coaches who were recruiting her were OK with a redshirt soph year for track.
Granted that this is a different scenario....wonder if Geno would be OK with it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I would think she would have to redshirt her sophomore year and work exclusively on track to get herself up to speed (height) to be able to make the Olympic team. She would be competing against women who do this year round. I doubt a couple month run-up is going to get it done.

With our plethora of guards, I think UCONN could sustain the redshirt year. We are going to be looking at the 1/2/3 positions - Jefferson, Chong, Williams, Edwards, Eckmark, Nurse, and then add in whatever Freshmen we get in 2015 (Durr, Samuelson, Ogunbowale??? :)). Should have plenty of cover at the 1/2/3 positions if she wants to give it a run at Rio.

Reaction Score
Interesting thought............Ask Geno tonight on WTIC.......

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
If she gets it, go to the trials and give it a shot. Make the team and spend the summer continuing to work on the high jump and go to Rio for a once in a lifetime experience. Come back in the fall and resume her hoops career as a junior. If she doesn't make the team, at least she gave it a go. Spend the summer doing normal basketball stuff.

Why would it be a "once in a lifetime experience"? would she be considered too old for the 2020 games?
How about playing 4 straight years at UConn........I think that might be a much better, Once in a lifetime experience!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think 2016 and/or 2020 would be possible. I wonder if Gabby's injury will limit her in either sport. I hope not, but I don't recall any world-class jumper with an ACL tear.

Just thinking out loud here--we have lots of guards/wings in our 2014 class. Was Gabby's possible redshirt a factor at all in loading up on players at those positions?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
During her recovery she was quoted as saying that it was a revelation to her that what she really missed was the basketball and that it made her at least reconsider her continuing with track. That was a while ago while she was doing rehab and not doing any sport so it may not be her current thinking. I think she probably doesn't know for sure one way or the other, and she has a little time to figure it out.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
During her recovery she was quoted as saying that it was a revelation to her that what she really missed was the basketball and that it made her at least reconsider her continuing with track. That was a while ago while she was doing rehab and not doing any sport so it may not be her current thinking. I think she probably doesn't know for sure one way or the other, and she has a little time to figure it out.
That is how I remember it. There was a tone that sounded like track was behind her. Was her ACL her launch leg?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
That is how I remember it. There was a tone that sounded like track was behind her. Was her ACL her launch leg?

Thankfully, no - I remember researching that after the injury and being relieved to find that the ACL injury was to the right knee. She launches with the left (approaches from right).

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I would think she would have to redshirt her sophomore year and work exclusively on track to get herself up to speed (height) to be able to make the Olympic team. She would be competing against women who do this year round. I doubt a couple month run-up is going to get it done.

With our plethora of guards, I think UCONN could sustain the redshirt year. We are going to be looking at the 1/2/3 positions - Jefferson, Chong, Williams, Edwards, Eckmark, Nurse, and then add in whatever Freshmen we get in 2015 (Durr, Samuelson, Ogunbowale??? :)). Should have plenty of cover at the 1/2/3 positions if she wants to give it a run at Rio.

And we have already offered (I think) Gorecki, and are looking at Collier and Cole, both guards! I think "plethora" is well-chosen. Still, I hope The Dragon confines her activities to roundball.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think it would be great if her native jumping ability is unimpaired by the injury and she finds herself in a position to compete, even medal in Rio if she takes the time off to train.

I strongly believe that the humanist in Geno would encourage her to do what it takes.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just thinking out loud here--we have lots of guards/wings in our 2014 class. Was Gabby's possible redshirt a factor at all in loading up on players at those positions?
Makes one wonder.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not sure about that, but my recollection is similar to yours and UCMiami's. Not that she can't change her mind, but I didn't think she was that interested in pursuing track once she was healed. Still, I'd love to see her go for it if her body and desire is up to the task!!

HGN

Reaction Score
I think 2016 and/or 2020 would be possible. I wonder if Gabby's injury will limit her in either sport. I hope not, but I don't recall any world-class jumper with an ACL tear.

I think it had a lot to do with it. Plus, outside of Durr there seems to be not many other guards he is interested in so why not load up now.

I also have read that A'ja likes to be considered a guard. Not to worry there because she is good enough to play all 5 positions. (Just like Stewie.)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Just some tantalizing reminders/reflections on Gabby's athleticism:

From the BY, 2013:Two tweets from Gabby Williams indicate rehab is still progressing well....she tweeted she was "able to grab rim off my right leg for first time in 8 months"..... LINK

--keep in mind her right leg is the BAD (ACL & meniscus repaired) leg..... !!

From 2012:Her vertical leap has been measured at 34 inches and she can dunk a tennis ball. [note: this was at age 15.] She also wants to goaltend a basketball. "I'd at least like to pin a ball against the backboard," she said. :)
LINK

From 2013: “Gabby has to come back stronger than before,” Matt Williams said. “Right now, she’s almost there. She wants to play. But I want to make sure she’s ready. She has UConn ahead of her. That’s her future right now.

“I can’t stop her from playing but I want to make sure she at the level she needs to be. So I’ve kind of challenged her and told her, ‘When you can dunk the basketball consistently, you can play.’ “

LINK

I think we got a good 'un.

Of course, she's about a lot more than just leaping ability:

Coach Ramirez knew Williams had potential when she saw her as a 4-year-old, dribbling between her legs with one ball in each hand. By age six, Williams could keep a basketball scorebook.
"When Gabby was in the fourth grade," Ramirez said, "she could tell me what defense our opponent was running and how to beat it. That's when I knew she was truly special."

[edit: By way of comparison, Lorin Dixon's standing vertical was also measured at 34" while Maya's was 'only' about 28" or 29", max.]

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So we have our fab four coming to replace our departing Bria (sigh) and we lose BB for the 2015 class. We have offers out to:
2015: Durr (5'11'')
2015: Ogunbowale (5'9")
And interest in:
2015: Gorecki (5'7")
2015: Cole (6'0")
That might be termed a plethora of guard prospects. And we of course still have MoJeff and Chong. I do wonder if some 2015 prospects may move away from Uconn based on this 2014 class - I think there is room for one or two, but ... (I am aware that we are talking about players that will frequently make up 3 positions on the floor not just two)
I do hope we get the interest from a few of the Gardler/Valley range of players still - they are a glue that can hold together a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom