Gabby Williams All-American | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams All-American

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think we are talking about replacing one double double with another double double. I think
that's a double bubble of trouble.

Reaction Score
With respect, these two oft-quoted concerns about Gabby's play, or potential play, that she will find it tough to compete vs taller teams, and that she may not connect on enough 15 footers, are a bit puzzling. First of all, as she's demonstrated, where her performance is concerned the player heights listed on competing rosters are fairly meaningless. Gabby plays much bigger than she is, positions herself perfectly for rebounds, and goes after them so ferociously that she effectively negates opponent's apparent height advantage. As a result of her amazing rebounding skills she inevitably secures an abundance of cleanup points around the rim. She's playing on a team currently averaging 98.5 ppg. C'mon, are we really to be concerned about her midrange jumpers? Furthermore, so long as Kelly Faris' name is being invoked, my understanding of this game is that of EQUAL importance to the number of points your team scores is the number of points to which the opposing team can be effectively limited. Has anyone been paying attention to Gabby's withering defense?

Reaction Score
Someone has got to help me with this concept of taking a 64% shooter (Gabby) into a perimeter jump shooter.
Malpractice much?

Rocky Rococo at your cervix, Coco- Right now, there is no reason for a defender to come out and guard Gabby when she's 10-15 feet from the basket. And that allows her would-be defender to double up on another Husky (particularly Stewie/Morgan) or just play defense in the lane and help clog things up inside. I'm hardly suggesting Gabby abandon her fabulous inside game for a perimeter game, that is a ridiculous suggestion. But when the other team figures that's all she's got, that she cannot hurt them away from the hoop, then they can play well off of her. Just like ND did to Moriah until she started killing it from the three- Moriah didn't stop driving to the basket, she just ADDED another element to her already insane skillset and made herself completely UNGUARDABLE. And made the team that much better.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Gabby is from NEVADA!
Figure her favorite comic book is HOPalong Cassidy.....
(She was, undoubtedly, named after Gabby Hayes.)

Hey, House....you really reached a l-o-n-g way for those two. :rolleyes:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
With respect, these two oft-quoted concerns about Gabby's play, or potential play, that she will find it tough to compete vs taller teams, and that she may not connect on enough 15 footers, are a bit puzzling. First of all, as she's demonstrated,

These allegations -- Gabby ain't tall enough to compete with bigs and she can't shoot beyond 10' -- fall into the category of what I call internet legends. That is what I call it when someone posts an errant opinion (e.g., freshman Jefferson can't shoot triples), others repeat it over and over as holy writ. These believers rely on blind faith rather than stats (e.g., Gabby's rebounds) or the eye-test (Saniya's "D," Lou's foot speed).

First, the silly notion that she can't hold her own against taller players. Well, she can. Period.

Can't shoot? Last year, I agree; this season, we don't yet know. My bet is on Gabby, not the naysayers. Time will tell.

A couple more internet legends: Both Courtney and Lou are slow and Saniya can't lay "D." My view is that they only look slow when on the court with cheetahs named Mo, Kia and Gabby. Chong has been the scapegoat for the Stanford loss last year, when the breakdown was poor team "D."

Last comment. Many mistaken over-rankings of formerly quality teams are good examples of internet legends. Thus the early struggles by Stanford, Louisville, UNC, Tennessee, OSU and Oklahoma. End of rant. Now I'll hunker down for Thanksgiving!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
One of the best things about Husky bball, is watching them blossom. Stewie in her frosh NC, MoJett after the Stanford loss, Gabby now.
Kia just seems to grow steadily into it. And all the rest. Tells us that when the bloom, they are in the lineup. With all the playing time the non-starters have, they all have their chance. Geno plays them like a top shelf orchestra. Wow, what a symphony.

Reaction Score
What teams are going to be bigger? K State started 4 players 6-0 or bigger. How many teams are going to start a 6-2 or bigger #3? S. Carolina doesn't, ND doesn't, Baylor doesn't, TN doesn't.

She might play against more talented teams, but nobody's really gonna be any bigger.
She beat out that 6'5" center fro KSU at least once that I saw.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
With respect, these two oft-quoted concerns about Gabby's play, or potential play, that she will find it tough to compete vs taller teams, and that she may not connect on enough 15 footers, are a bit puzzling. First of all, as she's demonstrated, where her performance is concerned the player heights listed on competing rosters are fairly meaningless. Gabby plays much bigger than she is, positions herself perfectly for rebounds, and goes after them so ferociously that she effectively negates opponent's apparent height advantage. As a result of her amazing rebounding skills she inevitably secures an abundance of cleanup points around the rim. She's playing on a team currently averaging 98.5 ppg. C'mon, are we really to be concerned about her midrange jumpers? Furthermore, so long as Kelly Faris' name is being invoked, my understanding of this game is that of EQUAL importance to the number of points your team scores is the number of points to which the opposing team can be effectively limited. Has anyone been paying attention to Gabby's withering defense?
What Bigpetunia said.....

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Yea, but as most people on here seem to believe, when Butler gets back, Williams will be relegated back to the bench. Hard to make an AA team from the bench.

:rolleyes:
You still got it!!!

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Superwoman is the name of several fictional characters from DC Comics. Most of them are, like Supergirl, women with powers similar to those of Superman. The name was trademarked by Detective Comics,[1] to prevent competitors from using it. As was the practice, an ashcan copy was created with the title of Superwoman. The cover was a reproduction of More Fun Comics,[2] with the interior being a reprint of the third issue.[3] The first true appearance of Superwoman was in Action Comics.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superwoman

Yes, which I said. But, again, there's no comic book "Superwoman." :)

Reaction Score
Yea, but as most people on here seem to believe, when Butler gets back, Williams will be relegated back to the bench. Hard to make an AA team from the bench.
:rolleyes:

Does that go for Diamond Deshields?
But I agree, it is hard to imagine making someone an AA that doesn't even start for their own team. The advantage Gabby will have is that she racks up points and rebounds very quickly. Her average per minute will be very high. I don't know whether they consider that or not but if they do she should get some consideration.

Reaction Score
Kibitzer,
I think you're observation regarding Saniya's defense is right on. We know where that legend began, and I think it has impacted her development since that Stanford game, though I'm sure most here would not agree with that. As you say, the team broke down on defense that night, but Saniya ended up being scapegoated. And after having such a strong offensive game.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Does that go for Diamond Deshields?
But I agree, it is hard to imagine making someone an AA that doesn't even start for their own team. The advantage Gabby will have is that she racks up points and rebounds very quickly. Her average per minute will be very high. I don't know whether they consider that or not but if they do she should get some consideration.
finger-uh-nevermind.jpg

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Now we come to Gabby....whatever we expect of her has been blown away by her performance these last two games. She defies expectation by doing whatever the game brings to her....by "making plays" as Geno describes. This is what is so special about Gabby....she can insert herself into the game flow in so many ways because of her foot speed and athleticsim...steals, rebounding (some in ways not seen in WBB), offensive rebounds followed with layups and defensive pressure that is superb. One area I think that is not mentioned as much is the bullet passes she makes after gaining possession that lead to transition and scores.
Right on, Bro! And as usual the commentators nattered right through those. Call the bloody game!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom