Gabby Williams All-American | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams All-American

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Once again Gabby had a double double - 16 and 12. If it wasn't for foul trouble, that easily could have been 20 and 16. It's very early; however, it's a very real possibility that she could make third team All-American. I've never seen anyone get off their feet as fast as Gabby.

Reaction Score
If she can average a double-double, it will be tough to keep here off the A-A roster.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gabby is spectacular and very effective. She'll get consideration. She and Morgan may have to share a spot. :)

Yeah, Gabby gets off her feet quickly and goes higher than others her height.

Reaction Score
only coaches and fans recognize and appreciate her production - barring gaudy stats for the season I doubt she will get serious consideration

Reaction Score
John Glass, you are probably right; however, if she averages a double double for the season, which is a possibility, I would like to see the voters keep her off the third team.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Once again Gabby had a double double - 16 and 12. If it wasn't for foul trouble, that easily could have been 20 and 16. It's very early; however, it's a very real possibility that she could make third team All-American. I've never seen anyone get off their feet as fast as Gabby.
Yea, but as most people on here seem to believe, when Butler gets back, Williams will be relegated back to the bench. Hard to make an AA team from the bench.

:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Yea, but as most people on here seem to believe, when Butler gets back, Williams will be relegated back to the bench. Hard to make an AA team from the bench.

:rolleyes:
Hey Smarty Pants - Did you self identify? Anyway, you make a good point. I originally believed that a healthy Butler would start over GAbby. I still think that would have been true. However, Gabby has surpassed everyone's expectations --two fold. Of course, even Geno is surprised a bit (and very pleased.) I can see Gabby staying as a starter and Butler giving Stewie and Tuck lots of rest.
A track analogy might fit here - In a relay (Penn Relays in the largest HS relays carnival in the world) many coaches lead off with their fastest runner to break open the race (even more so if the second fastest runner is good and can anchor.) Gabby, Mo, and Nurse completely control the game defensively at the start so much that IMHO Geno will not give that up. Butler will be rusty and he will work her in slowly. My over/ under-- Butler will not start until a mid-January game. I wouldn't even be surprised if Butler never starts a game this year---GAbby is just too much of a weapon to start the game and set the tone. (Geno also said something similar about MO.) So that would be 3 tone setters (Stewie of course.) All right, we could even throw in Nurse if we had to. She did take over in the summer and score 33 when it was vital. Tuck is a ROCK and not the dynamo type so I won't include her. Poor UConn, they only have 2-3-maybe 4 players who can change a game in minutes. Gabby will be starting for quite awhile IMHO.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Here's a heretical idea.
Butler looked good in warmups
Perhaps a force that's impossible to ignore

Butler starting instead of Tuck

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
At this point Gabby will retain the starting job barring injury, and in those games where Geno sees the matchup dictates it Butler will play heavy minutes and be first off the bench. She might not even be subbing in for Gabby.

Reaction Score
I know it's only two games, but I don't believe Gabby will coming out of the starting lineup anytime soon. In her first two games as a starter she is the leading rebounder on the team (23 + 6 over Stewie), first in steals (7 + 2 over Kia), and 4th in scoring (26 points a 13.o point average) all while being fifth in total minutes (45 minutes a 22.5 minute average). Considering her speed and defensive prowess unless something unforeseen happens, she will be starting the rest of her career. I realize Natlie will add another dimension to our team, but I just don't see her having the same impact on the game. Time will tell, but Gabby is the real thing. I remember last year when she didn't play in a game or played very little, her response was I have to do more to make the coaches believe in me. She will be an AA before she graduates. Anyway when Natalie and De'Janea are able to play, we are only going to get better. Watching practice may be more enjoyable then watching a game.

Reaction Score
At this point Gabby will retain the starting job barring injury, and in those games where Geno sees the matchup dictates it Butler will play heavy minutes and be first off the bench. She might not even be subbing in for Gabby.
\

Did you hear Geno speak about Gabby?? Glowing terms, nothing but praise--not a single wisecrack --straight talk, SHE's EXCEPTIONAL!!!
He used words formerly only used for Stewie--high praise from the Master!! He knows how to motivate.

Reaction Score
Ever since our summertime discussions about who the 5th starter would be, I have thought it was most likely to be Gabby. This was meant as no denigration of what Natalie potentially brings to the table...I never thought of this as exactly an either/or situation between the two. who, in my opinion, will wind up the season with roughly equal minutes. It was partly because of a style of game-planning with which Geno, understandably, seems to have fallen in love, and partly because the rigidity of traditional thinking about the classic 1-5 floor position roles seems to have significantly diminished, certainly in his mind. Nice to have such an embarrassment of riches!

Reaction Score

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Gabby will likely not make AA this year even if she continues to be the starter. There was just not enough pre-season publicity for Gabby but next year she has a good shot at leading UCONN in scoring & rebounding and that will seal the deal for AA.
Taking Morgan out of the Starting lineup is semi-blasphemous. How quickly we forget how poorly the offense flow without here at the beginning of last year.

Reaction Score
As far as I'm concerned, the season really starts next week. Beginning at Depaul and continuing on thru the end of december we will soon see how Gabby stacks up against bigger , well coached, athletic teams, with basketball skills. So far she has shown quick hands, a knack for being in the right place , and quick , explosive jumping ability. She has great potential. However , I think that talk of AA status is just a little premature. We as husky fans are lucky to be able to see all of the games , and witness the growth of these young players.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hey Smarty Pants - Did you self identify? Anyway, you make a good point. I originally believed that a healthy Butler would start over GAbby. I still think that would have been true. However, Gabby has surpassed everyone's expectations --two fold. Of course, even Geno is surprised a bit (and very pleased.) I can see Gabby staying as a starter and Butler giving Stewie and Tuck lots of rest.
I did, I even ran a poll, which Butler won easily. I voted for Williams though. Didn't know that she'd be this good, I was more going on her being a Soph. and able to play a slashing/posting 3.

A track analogy might fit here - In a relay (Penn Relays in the largest HS relays carnival in the world) many coaches lead off with their fastest runner to break open the race (even more so if the second fastest runner is good and can anchor.)
I believe a little more goes into than that, at least in the 4x100. How good is their start and can they run the curve?

Gabby, Mo, and Nurse completely control the game defensively at the start so much that IMHO Geno will not give that up. Butler will be rusty and he will work her in slowly. My over/ under-- Butler will not start until a mid-January game. I wouldn't even be surprised if Butler never starts a game this year---GAbby is just too much of a weapon to start the game and set the tone. (Geno also said something similar about MO.) So that would be 3 tone setters (Stewie of course.) All right, we could even throw in Nurse if we had to. She did take over in the summer and score 33 when it was vital. Tuck is a ROCK and not the dynamo type so I won't include her. Poor UConn, they only have 2-3-maybe 4 players who can change a game in minutes. Gabby will be starting for quite awhile IMHO.
Unless Williams starts tanking, I can't see Geno replacing her. It's in her control now.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As far as I'm concerned, the season really starts next week. Beginning at Depaul and continuing on thru the end of december we will soon see how Gabby stacks up against bigger , well coached, athletic teams, with basketball skills.
Are you saying Ohio State isn't. That DePaul is better than Ohio State? Williams did pretty well against them.

So far she has shown quick hands, a knack for being in the right place , and quick , explosive jumping ability. She has great potential. However , I think that talk of AA status is just a little premature. We as husky fans are lucky to be able to see all of the games , and witness the growth of these young players.
Probably a little. However if she continues to improve over the next couple of years, like she has this last year, we can at least talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom