Gabby made her case tonight | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gabby made her case tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Based on tonight's performance, I think she made her case that she deserves to start
Gabby made her case that she has improved. But wait for the Nebraska, Ohio, ND games--against this level of competition she was amazing--that's true. She had 16 point, 10 Rb's, 6 or 7 ft's etc, exceptional numbers. It too is true that neither Frosh came remotely close to her numbers. I'm a wait and see kind of fan.

Reaction Score
So Gabby was touted as the most improved player by Morgan, she just had a double double (only one by UCONN) despite playing less minutes than a few others, made 6 of 7 fts, made at least one mid range jumper, was 5 of 7 on FGs, and you want to use Gabby's freshman year as your yard stick. I assume your retort will be it was only an exhibition game. I prefer to think Gabby may have a break out year and then what a pair sophs in Kia and Gabby we have ; hard nosed, athletic, play great D, rebound, and can score.
Geno is very high on Gabby---or she would not have been first off the bench. But give the guy his due--he said Geno (MAY) like her coming off the bench and to see where she goes from here. No one is "dissing" Gabby, her performance or her talent.

Reaction Score
I posted elsewhere that my eye-test tells me that Kia and Gabby both play that fiercely tenacious defense that Kelly Faris did. Add to that Kia's arsenal of shots and Gabby's nose for the ball (rebounds and steals) and you have a pair of real badasses who will have a disruptive effect on opponents. "Just think about that!," indeed. ;)
Kelly Faris was a hard nosed kid and player. Gabby and Nurse are that an much more. Both are more offensive at the same point in their careers (as Faris). I like Gabby's ability to steal (a crime in most locals but works well here). Faris with certain players could lock them down-=is that true of Gabby and/or Nurse (a question not a comment)

Reaction Score
Gabby was great; however, when you face a team like Baylor, UConn is going to need Natalie's size. Baylor's front line is huge and athletic. Remember the Brigham Young game. Their center was a lot for Stef to handle. If it wasn't for KML, UConn would have gone down.

Reaction Score
Geno is very high on Gabby---or she would not have been first off the bench. But give the guy his due--he said Geno (MAY) like her coming off the bench and to see where she goes from here. No one is "dissing" Gabby, her performance or her talent.

My angst started with the comment "she is still not a shooter". Then another comment based on tweets from last night's game as opposed to actually seeing Gabby play. Let's just enjoy what we see and hear, then analyze that.

Reaction Score
Geno has about 4 players he is really pleased with and crazy about----to fill the 5th starter and 3 bench players coming in when necessary. Go back and read what Geno has said about a 6"5" player. Skilled players that are 6"5'' are rare. Geno knows he has Butler as a fortress and he sees the second coming of Dolson. Since Butler is off the table for now that leaves the next 3 in line--Gabby, Lou, and Collier. (By the way, Chong will still be the first guard off the bench.)
Geno would love to put Lou into KML's spot and play like last year with the super 4 returners. He really gave her a good long look--what? 34 minutes or so. IMHO if she shot the lights out last night then the spot would have been hers. I thought she was acceptable (early season acceptable) in her movement, spacing, help defense, passing, and poise. However, she did not produce the shot and then Geno said to himself--Who else we got? IMO she is definitely a better defender than KML as a frosh. But as a senior, KML was waaaay better than Lou today.
That takes us to Gabby. IMO Geno knows he can put GAbby in as the 5th starter just for her defense and she produces value. Gabby is not quite Nurse, but coming on strong. Now throw in Gabby's rebounds and she edges ahead. OK- she might score 8-10 points for you as the 5th starter....or maybe more since she will probably play more than 20 minutes as a starter. Was the competition weak? Yea. Same competition that Lou could not score much on.
We are talking this week and maybe 6 weeks until Butler comes back. If it is flowing Gabby stays. If not Geno goes to the next woman standing--Collier or maybe Lou again! Geno loves the 3 pt. bomber. Perhaps he will give Lou another chance, and another.
This is all fun speculation based on the only evidence we have. Final point - if Tuck is nicked up, who goes in for her??? Who do we know who can rebound and score inside? Did someone say Gabby? As many posters have said, Gabby can start or be a top 6th man off the bench. UConn will need an active Gabby getting her minutes this year.

Reaction Score
If you did not see the game, why tell us what she is not?

Either answer my question or don't respond. I didn't ask for a smartass remark. I simply stated Gabby is NOT a shooter. That's a FACT. She is my favorite player, but that doesn't change the fact that she didn't hit not one shot other than a FT that was outside 8-10 feet last season. And she probably only hit 2-3 that were actually facing the basket. There is a reason Geno played her off the bench as a post back-up. Now, that doesn't mean she is starting to develop a jumpshot and face-up game. After all, 6-7 from the FT line is an encouraging start since last season she was atrocious from the line, yet one of the best on our team at getting to it. I hope she starts or plays starters minutes because she has made a giant leap forward, she is a phenomenal talent and we will benefit from her constant motor and abilities!!!

Reaction Score
My angst started with the comment "she is still not a shooter". Then another comment based on tweets from last night's game as opposed to actually seeing Gabby play. Let's just enjoy what we see and hear, then analyze that.
I absolutely agree ---enjoy what we see. However, the Boneyard has a lot of "experts" who "analyze" everything, including words, that appears to be how they enjoy WBB. I see little wrong with expressing one's opinion about players as long as the opinion is at a higher level.
Gabby from all that has been written is a much improved player---I'd like to wait for the big time games to see how the improvement carries over. But in this game she got 16 points, 10, rb's, 6 of 7 Ft's and hit a 15 ft shot--major improvement.

Reaction Score
Geno has about 4 players he is really pleased with and crazy about----to fill the 5th starter and 3 bench players coming in when necessary. Go back and read what Geno has said about a 6"5" player. Skilled players that are 6"5'' are rare. Geno knows he has Butler as a fortress and he sees the second coming of Dolson. Since Butler is off the table for now that leaves the next 3 in line--Gabby, Lou, and Collier. (By the way, Chong will still be the first guard off the bench.)
Geno would love to put Lou into KML's spot and play like last year with the super 4 returners. He really gave her a good long look--what? 34 minutes or so. IMHO if she shot the lights out last night then the spot would have been hers. I thought she was acceptable (early season acceptable) in her movement, spacing, help defense, passing, and poise. However, she did not produce the shot and then Geno said to himself--Who else we got? IMO she is definitely a better defender than KML as a frosh. But as a senior, KML was waaaay better than Lou today.
That takes us to Gabby. IMO Geno knows he can put GAbby in as the 5th starter just for her defense and she produces value. Gabby is not quite Nurse, but coming on strong. Now throw in Gabby's rebounds and she edges ahead. OK- she might score 8-10 points for you as the 5th starter....or maybe more since she will probably play more than 20 minutes as a starter. Was the competition weak? Yea. Same competition that Lou could not score much on.
We are talking this week and maybe 6 weeks until Butler comes back. If it is flowing Gabby stays. If not Geno goes to the next woman standing--Collier or maybe Lou again! Geno loves the 3 pt. bomber. Perhaps he will give Lou another chance, and another.
This is all fun speculation based on the only evidence we have. Final point - if Tuck is nicked up, who goes in for her??? Who do we know who can rebound and score inside? Did someone say Gabby? As many posters have said, Gabby can start or be a top 6th man off the bench. UConn will need an active Gabby getting her minutes this year.

Coach---As usual I agree with much of what you say!!! Geno must have a degree of "respect/value" in KLS and Collier because he started and played KLS 34 minutes and Collier came in only after Gabby, whom I think he loves (her game).
KLS, unless I am delusional (which has a degree of probability) had first game Freshman gitters along with knowing of the very very high fan expectation. I suspect as she settles down she will be all we expected. Remember Bonnie and her other sister at Stanford were not terrific bombers until Bonnies Senior year and in less stressful game. Bonnie needed game time to settle in and (in her pre senior year) needed to set up --then she was deadly.
As you pointed out KLS defended better, as a Frosh, than KLM. The weaknesses, of KLS in defense, if her shot is as deadly as predicted, Geno will use his solid team defense to cover for any lacking by KLS.
I love Collier and Katie Lou --don't know much of Boykin, but I have exceptional belief all three, before they are through, will be standouts at Uconn.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Why can't Geno use the solid team defense and play Chong? She's a deadly shooter also. Some of you may be expecting too much from Katy Lou too soon. She may eventually reach her potential, but it will take time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom