Gabby: A New Prototype. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gabby: A New Prototype.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Your point is well Taken, but I do not believe that Gabby fits the definition of "slender". She has a superb athletic body, perhaps the best on the team! Tiny and Stewie are slender like Kaleena and Swin.
Don't knock the athleticism of Moriah or Stewart, Swin or Greene! :eek::cool: I take your point - but they are closer in body type than say Barb Turner.

Reaction Score
Proto type, see: Nina Davis, Baylor

And going back aways - Swin Cash and K. Greene on Uconn.

The undersized and slender, quick twitch, high jumping, forward has been around for quite a while in the women's game - the above is leaving out I am sure a whole bunch of others. Rutgers has a few on their current team as well.
A match up of Nina Davis vs Gabby would be great to watch. They would need a camera just watching the 2 of the them crashing the boards against each other.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
A match up of Nina Davis vs Gabby would be great to watch. They would need a camera just watching the 2 of the them crashing the boards against each other.

That would be something - for some reason, Davis appears quicker to my eye, but then again Gabby is very 'smooth' in her movements and is just as explosive. So it might be pretty close to a wash.

I guess it would come down to "who wants it more" ...! heh :) :) :)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Does anyone seriously think that she will be playing anywhere but the four for her college career? She is absolutely perfect for that role in Geno's high-low offense. I can't wait to see her and Natalie working together next year.
Certainly not in 2015-16. Stewie will have the 4 on offense thoroughly nailed down. After Stewie graduates, it is a possibility, but there will be other candidates such as Napheesa who have more size and may be a better matchup against big, athletic forwards.

I've been impressed with Gabby's perimeter defensive skills, which seem to be equal to Kia Nurse's skills. Recently it has seemed that she plays forward on offense and guard on defense in many cases. I think Geno is right that if she develops a reliable 15-foot jump shot and is solid at the free throw line, she will be able to write her own ticket, but that may be at the 3 rather than the 4. (And of course, in the UConn offense, these "number" roles are very fluid and the better players are not confined by them.)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Barkley was known as the "Round Mound of Rebound" before he became "Sir Charles" in a commercial. When I saw a video clip of him in college, I was stunned. At about 6'5" and nearly 300 lbs., he grabbed a rebound above the rim, turned, dribbled the length of the floor under control, beat everyone to the hoop, and dunked. It was incredible.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya was also a high jumper on the track team. I'm not sure how high she got, but I'm guessing 4-6" less than Gabby. Lorin had stunning speed and vertical elevation. I think Moriah may be comparable to Lorin.

Reaction Score
Don't knock the athleticism of Moriah or Stewart, Swin or Greene! :eek::cool: I take your point - but they are closer in body type than say Barb Turner.
UcM -
I was not knocking any ones athleticism. The muscle bulk and definition in Gabby's shoulders, arms and thighs is as good as it gets in a female athlete. I think she competed in the heptathlon in the state track meet in high school before she was injured. Her body in my view is similar to Maya and Kiah's and I wouldn't call any of them slender.

Barbra T"s body on the other hand is unique. Her arms and legs are very long and slender, slim hips, truncated torso and extremely short neck. Her shoulders height is equal to an average 6' -1" person (she is 5'-10"). The lack of length in her torso and neck made her look thick through the middle while at Uconn. She sure wasn't heavy. From the waist down she was slender.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
Barkley was known as the "Round Mound of Rebound" before he became "Sir Charles" in a commercial. When I saw a video clip of him in college, I was stunned. At about 6'5" and nearly 300 lbs., he grabbed a rebound above the rim, turned, dribbled the length of the floor under control, beat everyone to the hoop, and dunked. It was incredible.

As someone who lived in Boston during the Bird Era, I watched Sir Charles play many times, mostly on TV (hard to get tickets in those days). I thought he was an incredible player: intense, physical, relentless on the boards, always gave 110%, and a fun and entertaining guy (and still is).

I ran into him on the streets of Tokyo one day several years ago. I know he was 6'5", but he looked so much taller than that when I saw him, more like 6'8". Perhaps because he was surrounded by non-baketball players. He was being guided around Akihabara (the part of Tokyo where electronic shops are concentrated) by two Japanese business men in suits and a small crowd in tow. At the time, he was appearing in a popular Japanese TV commercial, so his presence in Japan and having people following him was not unusual. I yelled out "Hey, Charles!", he froze for a second, but did not turn around and reply. Crazy fans...I can't blame him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro