Gabby: A New Prototype. | The Boneyard

Gabby: A New Prototype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gabby's talents and athleticism are second to none on this UConn team. Folks, I'm watching her on the blocks, mouth agape. Like Morgan, on offense, she owns it. Quick shot. The ball's on the glass before the defense can react. On defense, like Kiah, she's unflinchingly in her commanding presence. SHe rises up to get the rebound like a power forward. She's use to playing guard. Mind you, she comes off the bench. AAC 6th Player of the Year (Freshman). By now, everyone should be well aware of Gabby's acolades as an Olympic athlete. She has adeptly translated her prowess on the track to the hardwood. In determination and commitment: Although she was disappointed in her lack of playing time, (I think against SC), she responded with poise. Her commitment was to make sure her future performance on the court was commensurate to the task at hand. Folks, she's unflinching, and Geno says that other teams don't have an answer for her. A prototype.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She may be a new prototype, but it will take time for the full line to develop. There just aren't many 6'2" high jumpers out there. :)

I totally agree with what you say: On O rebounds, "the ball is on the glass before the defense can react." She is both a high leaper and a quick leaper. And she can do it a many times as needed.

Reaction Score
Place your orders before we run out...this is a limited edition.

gabulous.png

Reaction Score
Does anyone seriously think that she will be playing anywhere but the four for her college career? She is absolutely perfect for that role in Geno's high-low offense. I can't wait to see her and Natalie working together next year.

Reaction Score
And she was 5 for 7 from the foul line against Rutgers. I hope
she can continue at that pace going forward. (she had been
shooting under 50%)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Proto type, see: Nina Davis, Baylor

And going back aways - Swin Cash and K. Greene on Uconn.

The undersized and slender, quick twitch, high jumping, forward has been around for quite a while in the women's game - the above is leaving out I am sure a whole bunch of others. Rutgers has a few on their current team as well.

Reaction Score
she brings a noticably more aggressive presence in the paint..... gee if UConn wasn't strong enuf already!!!

and ya she does need to work on the free throws.... but as noted.... those have been improving..... Go Gabby!!!

Reaction Score
she brings a noticably more aggressive presence in the paint..... gee if UConn wasn't strong enuf already!!!

and ya she does need to work on the free throws.... but as noted.... those have been improving..... Go Gabby!!!
We can expect the gabbulous one to improve every year in everything, become All-American, and go on to have a great career in the WNBA and Olympics.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

The undersized and slender, quick twitch, high jumping, forward has been around for quite a while in the women's game - the above is leaving out I am sure a whole bunch of others. Rutgers has a few on their current team as well.
And Ashley Battle, too.

Reaction Score
Gabby's talents and athleticism are second to none on this UConn team. Folks, I'm watching her on the blocks, mouth agape. Like Morgan, on offense, she owns it. Quick shot. The ball's on the glass before the defense can react. On defense, like Kiah, she's unflinchingly in her commanding presence. SHe rises up to get the rebound like a power forward. She's use to playing guard. Mind you, she comes off the bench. AAC 6th Player of the Year (Freshman). By now, everyone should be well aware of Gabby's acolades as an Olympic athlete. She has adeptly translated her prowess on the track to the hardwood. In determination and commitment: Although she was disappointed in her lack of playing time, (I think against SC), she responded with poise. Her commitment was to make sure her future performance on the court was commensurate to the task at hand. Folks, she's unflinching, and Geno says that other teams don't have an answer for her. A prototype.

Maybe she is the new and improved "Round Mound of Rebound" but definitely infinity percent better looking.

Charles Barkley for those that don't know the nickname. Barkley was a small pf but awesome going after offensive rebounds. Barkley was a good ball-handler for his position and his shot was decent which Gabby can turn her shot to be.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Barb Turner was also an athletic, undersized power forward.

I really like the way that Nina Davis plays.

I'd argue that Gabby is a little different from all the players listed--at least quantitatively, if not qualitatively. She's an elite jumper and elevates more quickly than almost anyone I've ever seen.

Reaction Score
Excuse the repetition, but if permitted an old post seems appropriate here:

In time, with the appropriate hard work, I see absolutely no reason why Gabby Williams cannot become an even better version of Baylor's Nina Davis. And that would be great because Davis is a fantastic player, an All-American. Davis is also a decidedly undersized frontcourt player who is a great rebounder, scores with tons of putbacks, is fearless among the trees, a soso ball-handler, and at best has a mediocre mid range/outside shot. Sounds familiar. They are alike in so many ways. Both are 5'11, and both have excellent verticals, though I would wager Gabby's is even better. And Davis does her thing with a wiry thin-frame, clearly lacking Gabby's strength and physicality. Gabby can become a Nina Davis, or even better!

*[Gigantic frontcourt players are nice to have but very often overrated and overvalued. See Duke. See SC.]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
Huskies Rule, Feb 10, 2015 Report

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Tracy Reid of UNC was a great college player. She was about 5'11 I think.

Reaction Score
Given success on the track with the high jump and hurdles, her deceptive speed due to stride length and vertical power is not surprising. What is, however, is outstanding upper body strength and hands.

An exceptionally unique combination in a WCBB athlete - truly a joy to watch!!

Reaction Score
Maybe she is the new and improved "Round Mound of Rebound" but definitely infinity percent better looking.

Charles Barkley for those that don't know the nickname. Barkley was a small pf but awesome going after offensive rebounds. Barkley was a good ball-handler for his position and his shot was decent which Gabby can turn her shot to be.

Saw the title of this thread and was going to mention Barkley but you beat me to it. The only difference is that the young athletic Barkley was out of condition. Barkley was an amazing jumper early in his career, sometimes it looked impossible for someone so "wide" to get as high as he did.

Reaction Score

Anybody know what her Vertical elevation is??

Reaction Score

Bharles Carkley was a pretty good rebounder for his height.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Bill In Georgia said:
Anybody know what her Vertical elevation is??

Not sure but believe it was said she was dunking volleyballs earlier in the year and per her dad she can dunk regular bballs. Some BY discussion we had last fall was tossing around figures in the low to mid 30s I believe. For comp, Maya's is about 28"

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

I think I said it earlier this year, but she does remind me, now, of Cash. Lot's of face up drives. Lot's of rebound putbacks. I think she can develop into a Greene over the next couple years as she takes her shot further out. Hopefully a 4/3 player, moving towards the 3. Don't know if she'll ever get back to a 2 like she was in HS.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not sure but believe it was said she was dunking volleyballs earlier in the year and per her dad she can dunk regular bballs. Some BY discussion we had last fall was tossing around figures in the low to mid 30s I believe. For comp, Maya's is about 28"
Moore had a 26.3" vertical at the SPARQ testing, but that was in HS. Probably improved in college. Lorin Dixon had a 33.7" vertical at the SPARQ testing in HS.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Barkley and Barb Turner have decidedly different body types than Davis or Williams - they had great muscle mass and were very powerful and relied on instinct and strength to succeed against taller players. Davis and Williams will never have that muscle mass and rely on speed and vertical leaping ability to succeed against bigger/stronger players.

A similar type comparison would be Stewart vs Dolson - they probably had the same vertical reach standing on the ground though Stef is an inch or two taller - Stef relied on strength and mass to succeed, Stewart on quickness and vertical leaping.

Reaction Score

Your point is well Taken, but I do not believe that Gabby fits the definition of "slender". She has a superb athletic body, perhaps the best on the team! Tiny and Stewie are slender like Kaleena and Swin.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
A few months ago I mentioned that Gabby brought Swin Cash to mind. Does anyone know what Gabby's point and rebound per minute averages are? What a stat sheet filler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom