Future UConn Syracuse series in the works | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Future UConn Syracuse series in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We will be knocking them out of the tourney this year, can't wait!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Very good point on the first statement. Not sure why you say the second?
Just a feeling. Boeheim hasn't been a friend to Connecticut since leaving the Big East and this game is more important to us than to them in terms of exposure and SOS. Plus JB doesn't have a good history of tough OOC schedules. Disagree?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We will be knocking them out of the tourney this year, can't wait!

They are banned from the tournament this year. Love the enthusiasm though.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Just a feeling. Boeheim hasn't been a friend to Connecticut since leaving the Big East and this game is more important to us than to them in terms of exposure and SOS. Plus JB doesn't have a good history of tough OOC schedules. Disagree?

No not necessarily. I don't think JBs been an enemy since either though. He's towed the party line for sure, but he vastly prefers the old BE. And he's coming out publicly saying he wants this game. I've no reason to disbelieve him at this point.

Your last sentiment is your most powerful argument though, as this is fact.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Man the years are just running together at this point.
Both @gampelcrazies and I are telling you they are eligible this year because the self imposed ban was last year. Not sure where you are getting confused...

CL82

Reaction Score
No not necessarily. I don't think JBs been an enemy since either though. He's towed the party line for sure, but he vastly prefers the old BE. And he's coming out publicly saying he wants this game. I've no reason to disbelieve him at this point.

Your last sentiment is your most powerful argument though, as this is fact.

I didn't read him as saying he's in favor, just that there will be discussion. Did I miss something?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I didn't read him as saying he's in favor, just that there will be discussion. Did I miss something?

Not really. He said they are in discussions and there is a reasonable likelihood it happens. I'm assuming if he's discussing it, and mentioning the odds, that he's in favor of it. Why even address it if he's not?

Reaction Score
Having been to tourneys, early season ones, etc. I would put Cuse #2 behind UK fan-wise. Could be rearranged behind UK with KU, Ohio St, UNC, but not many else. Fans travel and are animated.

I have. It's the place it should be played. Both fan bases under the same roof. If you have never been in a venue where the tide of emotion ebbs and flows from one end of the building to the other then you have to make it a point to get to one at the next opportunity. Cuse and UConn in the garden would be an annual event, both fan bases would travel for it. Appointment ticket.

Reaction Score
UConn -Syracuse is a great rivalry with a lot of big game history. Both fan bases would love it. It makes sense so get an annual game set up...either alternating home/home or at MSG. Either way it would be great.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Four time national champs play in their home arena and then at SU when it's their game. The school is The University of Connecticut. Not SUNY Storrs or SUNY Manhattan.
Some of the most intense games the two teams have played have been at the GARDEN
Ive been to many BE tourneys at MSG, including the six OT game and SU and UConn fans love the GARDEN.
Have you been to any UConn MBB at the GARDEN?
I'm assuming no.
Playing at the Dome is no picnic so playing them at a neutral site is an easy choice.

Reaction Score
Some of the most intense games the two teams have played have been at the GARDEN
Ive been to many BE tourneys at MSG, including the six OT game and SU and UConn fans love the GARDEN.
Have you been to any UConn MBB at the GARDEN?
I'm assuming no.
Playing at the Dome is no picnic so playing them at a neutral site is an easy choice.

While UConn fans have packed the garden for games, I've also been there when the arena was empty for UConn games. It all depends on timing I suppose, like a Friday or Saturday night. Early season around Thanksgiving? It's tough. UConn did not show well against teams like Duke or Georgia Tech when I've been there for those games.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

The Picker could give a rats about UConn.
He certainly didn't talk UConn up and giving his voice when the ACC slipped the invite to Louisville
Screw him and screw the Cuse, let the celebrate this weeks results - they won
Would I like UConn to play them? Why not
But wont lose sleep if UConn looks elsewhere for a series - how about Michigan or MSU?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
While UConn fans have packed the garden for games, I've also been there when the arena was empty for UConn games. It all depends on timing I suppose, like a Friday or Saturday night. Early season around Thanksgiving? It's tough. UConn did not show well against teams like Duke or Georgia Tech when I've been there for those games.
I highly doubt a UConn/Syracuse game, no matter when will be empty
Ive been to plenty of UConn games at MSG where the arena is empty BUT all those were BE Tourney games vs DePaul, etc.
I can't remember any non BE Tourney opening day games at the Garden where there hasn't been a real good crowd
Please bring one to my attention - thanks in advance

Reaction Score
Yeah but I think its a little different now with UConn being out of the Big East. There isn't as many times to go to MSG as there used to be.

For example UConn is playing Maryland at MSG for the Jimmy V Classic and looks like there is going to be a big attendance from UConn fans. But in 2012 when they played in the Jimmy V Classic against NC State there wasn't that many UConn fans.

CL82

Reaction Score
Not really. He said they are in discussions and there is a reasonable likelihood it happens. I'm assuming if he's discussing it, and mentioning the odds, that he's in favor of it. Why even address it if he's not?
Because he was asked about it?

I don't know one way or the other. Just a hunch.

Reaction Score
Don't know a Orangina or Husky fan alive that doesn't want this series. If MSG is the compromise we have to make to get it to happen - do it. Put them in the Hudson Valley Civic Center for all I care. Or a barn. Or a porta-potty. I'll be there.

Reaction Score
I highly doubt a UConn/Syracuse game, no matter when will be empty
Ive been to plenty of UConn games at MSG where the arena is empty BUT all those were BE Tourney games vs DePaul, etc.
I can't remember any non BE Tourney opening day games at the Garden where there hasn't been a real good crowd
Please bring one to my attention - thanks in advance

If it was not for UConn and Syracuse, especially after St. John's and to a lesser extent G-town, slipped back, I'm not sure if the old Big E Tournament would have stayed at MSG for such a long time. Those two canvases drove the it.

Reaction Score
This game at MSG would be an easy sellout year after year. Both Syracuse and UCONN have a ton of alumni in NYC and this is one of the best rivalry's in basketball. If they made this happen, it would be a benefit to both teams and to the fans.

Reaction Score
An annual primetime game at MSG? Sign me up!

NYC has been a rewarding recruiting pipeline for us in the past. We haven't recruited it well out of the AAC, unless you count Larrier by way of Virginia? This marquee event could help us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom