Future preseason tournaments (e.g Maui) | The Boneyard

Future preseason tournaments (e.g Maui)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Any updates to our future preseason tournaments? Puerto Rico this year, Nike in 2017, but haven't heard any noise about 2016. What I'm hoping for of course is Maui in 2016. From what I could dig up, UNC is expected to be there in 2016. The 2015 field was formally announced in nov 2013, so I guess we will know in about 3 months. Might have to start saving some money for the trip. Brought my family of 6 in 2010 and it was not cheap - but well worth it.

Reaction Score
I don't think these tourny's are planned that far out.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We're not eligible for Maui until 2016. Bet they offer us an invite, how can you not?

Reaction Score
CTBasketball said:
We're not eligible for Maui until 2016. Bet they offer us an invite, how can you not?

We should be in high demand for these things as long as we're stuck in the AAC, since they don't take two from the same conference. I think we just signed on to the PR one a couple years ago before the latest wave of realignment hit.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't mind Orlando. We are thinking of doing Disney over Thanksgiving a year from November.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Let me go find a big time sponsor to put together the Old Big East preseason tourney. Get Gtown, Cuse, Providence, Nova, St. Johns and those other gals in there.

Reaction Score
I thought teams were eligible for Maui every 4 years? If so UConn was eligible beginning this year since they were last there in 2010.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I thought teams were eligible for Maui every 4 years? If so UConn was eligible beginning this year since they were last there in 2010.
You're right, for some reason I thought it was 6. But we didn't get chosen for 2015. That must be why I thought 6 years, aka 2016.

Reaction Score
AstarIsBorn31 said:
Let me go find a big time sponsor to put together the Old Big East preseason tourney. Get Gtown, Cuse, Providence, Nova, St. Johns and those other gals in there.

If we did something with only the original Big East, then maybe the schools could pool together and do a little fan exhibit with all seven national championship banners on display. We could maybe arrange them UConn-other-UConn-other-UConn-other-UConn to give the illusion of a lot of contributions. If we did them chronologically, that poor Cuse banner would look like it was getting swallowed up in a sea of blue. Picture Cookie Monster holding a single piece of candy corn and you can get a sense of the problem.

If other schools without titles feel left out then they could bring a trademark of their program in lieu of a national championship banner. St. John's can bring a sweater or a World War II NIT banner and spend the day trying to convince everyone that it is "just like a national title". Although Syracuse will then probably want to bring their Helms banners and MSG will become too dusty and start to smell like moth balls (which would also be a problem with a St. John's sweater, so maybe there's no good solution for them). Providence can bring an autographed picture of Ernie D, or something to commemorate Tim Welsh's one BET win, Seton Hall can bring John Clougherty's whistle and BC can bring an empty chair.

Pitt wasn't technically an original member, but if they come, they can bring something to symbolize their time in the Big East. I guess it would have to be either a broken backboard or broken ankles.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Haha^^^ too good... If I was cuse I would just give melo the banner to hang up at his house.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, I am more concerned about future Home/Away series. Stanford and FL, I believe end this season. Given our weak conference schedule you really should focus on having 4 good OOC games per year at home. We usually have had 2 (with a stronger Big East conference) but this year Warde dropped the ball and we just have Texas with the weak AAC slate.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I am more concerned about future Home/Away series. Stanford and FL, I believe end this season. Given our weak conference schedule you really should focus on having 4 good OOC games per year at home. We usually have had 2 (with a stronger Big East conference) but this year Warde dropped the ball and we just have Texas with the weak AAC slate.

I like our OOC slate this year but we are going to need to reload with the home and homes. I honestly don't care about the relatively weak home games this year because I will go regardless, I am aware that it will affect the average fan more. I know that UCONN has expressed interest in renewing the home and home with Florida, there is always chatter about KU, there was some discussion with former BE schools like Nova, PC, Cuse, etc.

I am definitely concerned with the pre-season tournaments. Get in a good pre-season tournament and that is 2 more great OOC games. E.g., imagine if we landed in a the Battle for Atlantis this year with UNC, UCLA, OU, Florida, G'Town, Wisconsin, etc.

Reaction Score

Warde dropped the ball or we couldn't find a common date with anyone else?

Did someone want a home and home but wanted to start at their place and Warde said no because of the games with Stanford and Florida?

I think we rehash the schedule year in and year out. Yes, the AAC is week. Yes the home slate isn't fantastic but there is only so much we can expect.

This past season people were complaining with Louisville, Memphis, Cincy, Florida, and Stanford coming to CT. There are four quality OOC games this season plus a preseason tournament, Memphis, Cincy, and SMU home and home. It's not UNC, KU, UK, and the old BE, but it's not exactly loaded with Yankee Conf teams either.

C

Chief00

Warde dropped the ball or we couldn't find a common date with anyone else?

Did someone want a home and home but wanted to start at their place and Warde said no because of the games with Stanford and Florida?

I think we rehash the schedule year in and year out. Yes, the AAC is week. Yes the home slate isn't fantastic but there is only so much we can expect.

This past season people were complaining with Louisville, Memphis, Cincy, Florida, and Stanford coming to CT. There are four quality OOC games this season plus a preseason tournament, Memphis, Cincy, and SMU home and home. It's not UNC, KU, UK, and the old BE, but it's not exactly loaded with Yankee Conf teams either.
You must not be a season ticket holder.

Reaction Score
You must not be a season ticket holder.

Nope, but I enjoy watching them nonetheless and get down to as many games as I can, at least 3 per season. If I lived in CT, I'd probably be a season ticket holder and I would still enjoy watching the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom