Fuller: Foul Issues Concern UConn's Auriemma | The Boneyard

Fuller: Foul Issues Concern UConn's Auriemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

"There is a fine line between how aggressive you can be and how smart you can need to be," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. "You just get yourself where you want to make a play. The fouls that were called on Stefanie today, they were all fouls and they are fouls that can be prevented. One is a moving screen, you don''t have to set moving screens. One was she was standing there and the kid just threw herself at her but she had her hands (extended), the next time her hands were up here. Stewie, you have two fouls, they are running down on transition the kid stops at the foul line and you run by and smack her on the back of the head, what are you thinking?
"

Geno stressed that the team has a lot to work on. And perhaps in response to Brenda, he said:

"When we go back to school we have a lot to work on," Auriemma said. "We don't take anything for granted, we don't disrespect any team when we are out there thinking we are going to win every game just because we show up. Contrary to public opinion we do practice and we do work really hard, we don't just roll the ball out there because we have 17 high school All-Americans."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
LOL what a great line by Geno. That is seriously a classic!

Reaction Score
from the Penn State post game interview:

)" Q: When you're in the home stretch is it harder to play aggressive defense?
(Geno) A: It is much more difficult, especially on the emphasis on the contact. You have to be really intelligent and make good decisions out on the floor and you can't get caught up in doing mindless stuff. We usually don't foul that much. When you're down to seven players, you're counting on them to be focused and intelligent. Some people are always in foul trouble because they're not the brightest bulbs in the room."

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/111713aac.html

Reaction Score
I'm glad Geno has an inferiority complex (and he probably thinks it's not a very good one). Secretly, up 20 with 10 minutes left in the game, he's still worried about a loss. With a 20 point lead with 2 minutes left, he's starting to worry about losing the next game.

Reaction Score
When Geno made comment not the brightest bulbs in the room, was he directing that towards Stef.

Reaction Score
When Geno made comment not the brightest bulbs in the room, was he directing that towards Stef.

I'd say yes ..... and Stewart. Dolson commits some of the stupidest fouls I've ever seen, yesterday she almost got one in the first 30 seconds when she ran to the corner chasing a missed 3 and nearly fouled the PS player who beat her to the ball. Instead of being able to foul strategically she wastes her fouls on ill advised attempts to steal balls from guards, for one example. She sits over 10 minutes in the first halves of so many games. Why? In an attempt to score 4 points when the 10-15 minutes she sits could have produced many more than 4 points.

Reaction Score
THis is a very common act when you are short players. You want to do more and make plays sometimes forces you to make very dumb moves that cost your team...Between now and Jan 1st, Geno will get this fixed and he will have KML and MT back..........I like Chong very much.......NO FEAR!!!

Reaction Score
I'd say yes ..... and Stewart. Dolson commits some of the stupidest fouls I've ever seen, yesterday she almost got one in the first 30 seconds when she ran to the corner chasing a missed 3 and nearly fouled the PS player who beat her to the ball. Instead of being able to foul strategically she wastes her fouls on ill advised attempts to steal balls from guards, for one example. She sits over 10 minutes in the first halves of so many games. Why? In an attempt to score 4 points when the 10-15 minutes she sits could have produced many more than 4 points.
Bigs are supposed to foul in the paint with a message like don't come in here or when blocking a shot they get a little bit of the body.

Reaction Score
THis is a very common act when you are short players. You want to do more and make plays sometimes forces you to make very dumb moves that cost your team...Between now and Jan 1st, Geno will get this fixed and he will have KML and MT back..........I like Chong very much.......NO FEAR!!!
And - she has already mastered the great Kelly Faris "stone face". All business on the court. I already love this kid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom