Full cost of attendance passes 79-1 | The Boneyard

Full cost of attendance passes 79-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
so if one freshman at BC doesn't play so well and loses his spot, the school is on the hook for 3 more years, which is like what, $150k? $160k? More? That is a tough pill to swallow.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
SO happy that BC worked so hard to protect the turf that they don't even want to play in. Warde has said on record that he supports full cost of scholarship.

Trade BC for UCONN. EVERYONE wins.

Reaction Score
I wonder if BC's vote will be followed up by them not using the right to pay full cost of attendance or will they cave in to the competitive pressures to attract and retain talent? Can a school opt to do this for some sports and not all? I have not read up on all of the in's and out's of this issue. Same question for other schools, even though they voted in support of this. What's the deal/projection on this?

(I didn't pay attention because my daughter just graduated college and was a D-1 swimmer and I knew she would not have a sniff at this).

Reaction Score
GreggDoyelStar 7:26pm via TweetDeck
In 79-1 vote, only Power 5 school against the expanded scholarship was Boston College, source tells me. BC can't afford $$ for all sports.

What I don't understand is, why did they vote against it? Did they really think that 40 other schools would see their "no" vote and think, hmm, maybe BC is onto something? That was just not going to succeed, at all.

Reaction Score
What I don't understand is, why did they vote against it? Did they really think that 40 other schools would see their "no" vote and think, hmm, maybe BC is onto something? That was just not going to succeed, at all.
I think it shows their elitist attitude, if nothing else.

pj

Reaction Score
Why shouldn't they vote against it, if they oppose it? It's a move toward a semi-pro model and 20 years ago universities would have unanimously opposed this.

What disturbs me is more the mob mentality - everyone has to vote together. Privately I doubt 79 schools favor this move. They know it will win so they pretend to favor it.

Reaction Score
Why shouldn't they vote against it, if they oppose it? It's a move toward a semi-pro model and 20 years ago universities would have unanimously opposed this.

What disturbs me is more the mob mentality - everyone has to vote together. Privately I doubt 79 schools favor this move. They know it will win so they pretend to favor it.
They've got a 2.2b dollar endowment. Can't they do their student athletes a solid like everyone else? A D-1 athlete puts in so much effort/countless hours for their school (yes, some are just doing it as a means to a professional end), runs the risk of permanent or at least later-in-life injuries and ailments, and have no recourse to get compensated or reimbursed for medical costs after leaving campus.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You are surprised that Stanford - a school that has so much money around it they could wipe their a**es with hundred dollar bills would vote yes? They only would use hundreds because it's the highest denomination.

I am surprised that Stanford and Northwestern would start sponsoring minor league football and basketball. The schools that Stanford and NW compete with for students wear their lack of big time athletics as a badge of honor, and now those two are becoming minor league franchises? The fact that Stanford and NW don't need the money is exactly the reason I am surprised.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I am surprised that Stanford and Northwestern would start sponsoring minor league football and basketball. The schools that Stanford and NW compete with for students wear their lack of big time athletics as a badge of honor, and now those two are becoming minor league franchises? The fact that Stanford and NW don't need the money is exactly the reason I am surprised.

The NCAA has been running a defacto minor league for decades. Giving the kids a few thousand dollars more doesn't change anything.

I imagine at Stanford and Northwestern they take great joy in being competitive while educating their players. You as much as anyone should understand they would see that the athletes should be rewarded for their contribution.

Unless you are only for workers outside of college athletics.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The NCAA has been running a defacto minor league for decades. Giving the kids a few thousand dollars more doesn't change anything.

I imagine at Stanford and Northwestern they take great joy in being competitive while educating their players. You as much as anyone should understand they would see that the athletes should be rewarded for their contribution.

Unless you are only for workers outside of college athletics.

The Ivies and UAA schools disagree with that logic, and they absolutely use it against the Top Tier P5 academic universities.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Ivies and UAA schools disagree with that logic, and they absolutely use it against the Top Tier P5 academic universities.

Yeah the Ivies are sticking it to Stanford. That school is really struggling to enroll talented students.

Brandeis and Rochester are way better off. All because they don't have a football team.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yeah the Ivies are sticking it to Stanford. That school is really struggling to enroll talented students.

Brandeis and Rochester are way better off. All because they don't have a football team.

I am trying to agree with you. You clearly know better than the UAA and Ivies whether they should have a major athletic program or not.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I am trying to agree with you. You clearly know better than the UAA and Ivies whether they should have a major athletic program or not.

They are great schools, what they do works for them. Case Western and Emory give academics hard ons.

Stanford can put a football team in the Rose Bowl, attract better students and has a list of alumni that those schools couldn't dream of.

But it's a shocker they aren't rushing to drop football.

Reaction Score
Have there been any realistic rumblings about those currently in the p5 who decide that the cost of pressing on is too much for them? Maybe split off and form a new league essenially in the g5?

Reaction Score
The full cost is clearly a move by the P5 to buy more and more kids, that is all. I have no problem with having a student who is no longer on scholarship paying his own way for school like the rest of the kids who have to borrow and work for it. Scholarship = excellent pay for playing a game. Once you take the "athlete" out of "student-athlete," why should he continue to get paid? Getting an athletic scholarship is a gold ticket, not a right.

Reaction Score
Have there been any realistic rumblings about those currently in the p5 who decide that the cost of pressing on is too much for them? Maybe split off and form a new league essenially in the g5?
I doubt there will be any rumblings about P5 members claiming the cost is too much. They are mostly wealthy and getting paid huge tv contracts. I would think more schools would decide that it's just not in line with their mission.

Reaction Score
I'm wondering if the Thunder Chickens' NAY vote will bite them in the in future recruiting. It surely could be used against them in negative recruiting by other institutions. If a prized recruit has a choice between the institution on 'Nut Hill & another P5, this vote can easily be referenced with the implication that at some point BCU could downsize & that recruit could be out on the limb looking to transfer out in order to continue competing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom