Four men's basketball players make academic honor roll | The Boneyard

Four men's basketball players make academic honor roll

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
... yet the team is prohibited from post season play due to an APR (transfers and early departures) issue from 5 years ago. F- you Emmert

Congratulations to Shabazz Napier, R.J. Evans, Niels Giffey and Leon Tolksdorf for making the academic honor roll in the fall semester.

Reaction Score
But, honor roll or not, if Bazz and Boat leave school after the last game to prepare for NBA camps, without completing classes, they will kill the APR. no matter how good students they are.

CL82

Reaction Score
But, honor roll or not, if Bazz and Boat leave school after the last game to prepare for NBA camps, without completing classes, they will kill the APR. no matter how good students they are.
Yep, that's a big part of what happened in 2008.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A big part of what happened with Edwards/Robinson/Dyson is that all 3 left without finishing their degrees. Some people claim Dyson graduated, although I don't understand how UConn could have gotten the RPI it got if Dyson didn't graduate.

Reaction Score
A big part of what happened with Edwards/Robinson/Dyson is that all 3 left without finishing their degrees. Some people claim Dyson graduated, although I don't understand how UConn could have gotten the RPI it got if Dyson didn't graduate.

But graduating has nothing to do with the APR.

CL82

Reaction Score
But graduating has nothing to do with the APR.
...but leaving early to play professionally and not completing your last semester classes smacks it around pretty good.

Reaction Score
...but leaving early to play professionally and not completing your last semester classes smacks it around pretty good.

Indeed it does, unless of course such concerns have already been taken care of prior to the spring semester. I submit that while UNC's solution was galling, the vast majority of schools do something vaguely similar in order to keep up with APR. The standards have been dropped pretty low. I'd rather have kids drop out of class than go the UNC route. That cheapens everyone's degree.

Reaction Score

Dyson graduated - your speculation to the contrary is sort of unseemly. There were certainly others beyond those TWO guys who contributed - Darius Smith comes to mind.

Reaction Score
Dyson graduated - your speculation to the contrary is sort of unseemly. There were certainly others beyond those TWO guys who contributed - Darius Smith comes to mind.

And the 5 year flunky...Mandeldove

Reaction Score
Damn this is the worst type of thread ever to get railroaded. This is an academic achievement that should be recognized and appreciated. Fukk other players and our future APR! These kids buckled down and showed discipline with their priorities in order, fully knowledgeable of our past problems. That's taking care of business including UConn's. They are doing their part to help. Its certainly good current news.

Congrats to the 4 of them!

Reaction Score
Did I see a sign at the Providence game on Thursday that read, "Shabazz Can't Read"? Of course I did. Now, normally this type of thing wouldn't bother me, but you'd be shocked at how many casual college basketball fans actually buy into the notion that the kids on the current team are dumb. Whenever the topic of UConn basketball comes up amonst my friends, I usually hear something along the lines of, "Their players don't go to class" or "Their team GPA isn't high enough". I realize you have to punish the program even if the current players aren't guilty, but something just rubs me the wrong way about kids who are working their tails off on the court and in the classroom having to carry around the stigma that they're dumb, or don't care about school. UConn should absolutely be held to NCAA standards regarding the APR, whether it's a good rule or not. However, retroactively enforcing the rule, even when the more current scores WERE available, is just completely unjustifiable and despicable.

And the part that really pisses me off? This is probably what Emmert hoped for when he envisioned a plot to get back at Calhoun.

Were UConn players, collectively, less intelligent than the average top 25 team? Doubtful.

Did UConn players, collectively, value academics less than the average top 25 team? Again, doubtful.

Were academics emphasized less at UConn than other top 25 schools? Well, if Calhoun not forcing his players to finish up the spring semester at the expense of missing out on potential draft work-outs qualifies as de-emphasizing academics, then I guess so.

And you know what? I bet deep down, Emmert knows all this. He understood, however, that the publics mis-understanding of the APR would stain Calhoun's legacy, which is why mis-informed media members sit around comparing Calhoun to Jerry Tarkanian and his off-court antics, all the while, ignoring the fact that just about every one of his players would jump in front of a bus for him.

Anyway, congrats to Napier, Tolksdorf, Giffey, and Evans.

CL82

Reaction Score
Indeed it does, unless of course such concerns have already been taken care of prior to the spring semester. I submit that while UNC's solution was galling, the vast majority of schools do something vaguely similar in order to keep up with APR. The standards have been dropped pretty low. I'd rather have kids drop out of class than go the UNC route. That cheapens everyone's degree.
I agree that the APR system is inherently flawed and ought to be dropped. I suspect that will happen now that Emmert has gotten his pound of flesh, much like the prohibition on contact.

CL82

Reaction Score
Did I see a sign at the Providence game on Thursday that read, "Shabazz Can't Read"? Of course I did. Now, normally this type of thing wouldn't bother me, but you'd be shocked at how many casual college basketball fans actually buy into the notion that the kids on the current team are dumb. Whenever the topic of UConn basketball comes up amonst my friends, I usually hear something along the lines of, "Their players don't go to class" or "Their team GPA isn't high enough". I realize you have to punish the program even if the current players aren't guilty, but something just rubs me the wrong way about kids who are working their tails off on the court and in the classroom having to carry around the stigma that they're dumb, or don't care about school. UConn should absolutely be held to NCAA standards regarding the APR, whether it's a good rule or not. However, retroactively enforcing the rule, even when the more current scores WERE available, is just completely unjustifiable and despicable.
Well said. Ironically, it your friends who can't read and GPA ought to be questioned, since they have such a flawed understanding of the sanction.

For what it is worth, Herbst and Manual's don't blame this class for past transcretions is responsible as well. They should have denounced the APR sanction loudly and publically from day 1, for all the reasons we've discussed here ad nauseum, and the narative now would be different. They took an appeasement approach, that panned out, well the way appeasement always pans out.

Reaction Score

And the part that really pisses me off? This is probably what Emmert hoped for when he envisioned a plot to get back at Calhoun.

Were UConn players, collectively, less intelligent than the average top 25 team? Doubtful.

Did UConn players, collectively, value academics less than the average top 25 team? Again, doubtful.

Were academics emphasized less at UConn than other top 25 schools? Well, if Calhoun not forcing his players to finish up the spring semester at the expense of missing out on potential draft work-outs qualifies as de-emphasizing academics, then I guess so.

And you know what? I bet deep down, Emmert knows all this. He understood, however, that the publics mis-understanding of the APR would stain Calhoun's legacy, which is why mis-informed media members sit around comparing Calhoun to Jerry Tarkanian and his off-court antics, all the while, ignoring the fact that just about every one of his players would jump in front of a bus for him.

Anyway, congrats to Napier, Tolksdorf, Giffey, and Evans.

This sort of thing has been around for awhile, and I do think it has a lot to do with race. UConn's players, until this year's version, have been mostly black. Calhoun puts a lot of black athletes in the NCAA. I say this because back in 1999 a Pitt columnist wrote an article saying he was rooting for the Duke students over the UConn thugs. I wondered what could possibly have elicited such an article? Granted, Jake Voskuhl was on the team, and he was comparing them to Duke--a team that often has lots of white players on it. But I couldn't figure out how he came up with that.

Not to mention that Duke team had Corey Maggette, William Avery, Elton Brand and Chris Burgess on it. It's not like the team's core was composed of solid college students. It wasn't.

Reaction Score
p1_taigon.jpg

KembaWalker.jpg

Reaction Score
[qDuote="Husky, post: 490688, member: 3353"]
p1_taigon.jpg

KembaWalker.jpg
[/quote]

Didn't you know that Kemba never read a book according to the people in the know on the Orange board....like docsu and other dopes?? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom