Former UNC Football Players Sues UNC | The Boneyard

Former UNC Football Players Sues UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/07/us/unc-academic-scandal/index.html

The young man was promised a college degree but was kicked off the team after participating in one of the "paper classes."... What is sickening is the fact that he wanted to major in criminal justice but was told he could only major in one of the three:

1) Exercise and Sport Science
2)Communications
3)African-American Studies (the center of the paper class scandal)

This lawsuit will reveal a lot more then the Wainstein investigation which was already very damaging.

This whole scandal makes me sick. While the NCAA should bring down the hammer on UNC or UNC should implement severe self-imposed penalties (I don't think they have the integrity to do so), I could care less if they don't face any penalties (I already lost any faith I have with the NCAA, so I am not expecting anything from them)... but the damage is already done.

I don't think I will ever view UNC (the school not their sports teams) in the same light as before and I have a feeling I am not the only one.

Reaction Score
Athletics aside, UNC is going to have to respond to some major questions from the accreditation bord, and with a spuse in academia, I can tell you that is a serious concerns as not only will UNC's prestige be questioned; but, its revenue may be impacted (enrollment, grants, donations).

This was he key statement to me in the link from CNN - "McAdoo's lawsuit could potentially uncover even more than the damning Wainstein investigation, which was by far the most thorough and provided a slew of information that had previously been discounted by UNC. The difference is in the power of subpoena."

A court subpoenaing current and former UNC employees with the possible jail time hanging over these folks the perjure themselves could be very damaging to Chapel Hill and with 3,100 student involved, that could be a lot of lawsuits.

Reaction Score
Athletics aside, UNC is going to have to respond to some major questions from the accreditation bord, and with a spuse in academia, I can tell you that is a serious concerns as not only will UNC's prestige be questioned; but, its revenue may be impacted (enrollment, grants, donations).

This was he key statement to me in the link from CNN - "McAdoo's lawsuit could potentially uncover even more than the damning Wainstein investigation, which was by far the most thorough and provided a slew of information that had previously been discounted by UNC. The difference is in the power of subpoena."

A court subpoenaing current and former UNC employees with the possible jail time hanging over these folks the perjure themselves could be very damaging to Chapel Hill and with 3,100 student involved, that could be a lot of lawsuits.

This same accreditation board wrote them a "nothing to see here, you're fine" message less than a year ago.

Reaction Score
This same accreditation board wrote them a "nothing to see here, you're fine" message less than a year ago.

That was before the number of involved students went form a few dozen to several thousand and before the courts became involved.

Reaction Score
http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/07/us/unc-academic-scandal/index.html

The young man was promised a college degree but was kicked off the team after participating in one of the "paper classes."... What is sickening is the fact that he wanted to major in criminal justice but was told he could only major in one of the three:

1) Exercise and Sport Science
2)Communications
3)African-American Studies (the center of the paper class scandal)

This lawsuit will reveal a lot more then the Wainstein investigation which was already very damaging.

This whole scandal makes me sick. While the NCAA should bring down the hammer on UNC or UNC should implement severe self-imposed penalties (I don't think they have the integrity to do so), I could care less if they don't face any penalties (I already lost any faith I have with the NCAA, so I am not expecting anything from them)... but the damage is already done.

I don't think I will ever view UNC (the school not their sports teams) in the same light as before and I have a feeling I am not the only one.
That tactic is actually very common, a friend mine's son was heavily recruited by an ACC school and had some modest interest from an SEC school as well. In both cases he was told in no uncertain terms that could not major in Electrical Engineering or minor in mathematics, his two choices, if he wanted a football scholarship. His choices were physical education, communications, and a couple other "soft" majors. Both him and his parents said see ya. He ended up at Fordham, playing for Joe Morehead.

Reaction Score
That tactic is actually very common, a friend mine's son was heavily recruited by an ACC school and had some modest interest from an SEC school as well. In both cases he was told in no uncertain terms that could not major in Electrical Engineering or minor in mathematics, his two choices, if he wanted a football scholarship. His choices were physical education, communications, and a couple other "soft" majors. Both him and his parents said see ya. He ended up at Fordham, playing for Joe Morehead.

Stuff like that makes me think that the entire system needs to be blown-up, even tough I love the Huskies. Big time college athletics does not mesh well with big time college academics in too many cases and the kids, 99% of whom will not be able to go pro, are caught in between and hurt.

Reaction Score
Big time college athletics does not mesh well with big time college academics in too many cases and the kids, 99% of whom will not be able to go pro, are caught in between and hurt.
The problem is the student/athletes later claiming they were wronged by the school and denied the promised educational advancement. Sounds like we're headed for full disclosure documents signed by players and parents/guardians attesting to the fact that they understand and agree that participation in varsity athletics may interfere with academic pursuits and could result in a course curriculum that is less challenging. The student athlete further agrees that failure to advance or graduate is a risk of athletic participation and such failure shall not grant the student any right of recourse against the university, it's administrators, teachers, coaches or academic advisors" etc.

Reaction Score
That was before the number of involved students went form a few dozen to several thousand and before the courts became involved.

Actually, there's no new information. All of this was out there.Willingham said all of this over a year ago.

Reaction Score

There are lots of schools where you are allowed to major in anything you want though.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Did you ever notice how few engineering majors there are on the MBB team? Just sayin'.

The choice of major isn't an issue so long as it's stated up front. He chose to accept their offer and could have gone elsewhere.

The crime is in signing him up for fake classes and then failing him in those fake classes. Presumably to move him along. He has a case.

Reaction Score
There are lots of schools where you are allowed to major in anything you want though.
Yes that is true, but there are also just as many schools that are too wrapped up in their football program being a money producing enterprise and have lost sight of the fact that they are first and foremost, an institution of higher learning, and want that student to devote more of his time to help his team win, win, win rather than taking up all his time struggling with a more difficult major. What it boils down to is does the AD want his student athletes to be studying for their Physics final or studying the offensive coordinators playbook.

Reaction Score
Yes that is true, but there are also just as many schools that are too wrapped up in their football program being a money producing enterprise and have lost sight of the fact that they are first and foremost, an institution of higher learning, and want that student to devote more of his time to help his team win, win, win rather than taking up all his time struggling with a more difficult major. What it boils down to is does the AD want his student athletes to be studying for their Physics final or studying the offensive coordinators playbook.

No doubt. In fact, the APR pushes more schools in the latter direction. I imagine many coaches or ADs would be fine with a kid taking Physics (to use your example) if the potential flameout in that subject didn't whack their APR.

Reaction Score
After reviewing the Wonderlic scores of NFL draftees, it is clear that many would not have been in a college except as a scholarship athlete.

Especially the skill position players. Some players score below the basic literacy level yet have been in a college.

Terrell Pryor scored as a functional illiterate. But was a heck of an athlete.

Reaction Score
My perception, don't know if facts back it up, is that the number of academic casualties appears much lower than it was 15+ years ago. I understand that schools are doing a better job helping student athletes, but stories like UNC indicate the possibility of systemic fraud.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I know a girl that had a D1 softball scholarship offer until she said she wanted to be in the nursing program. She was told that if she wanted the 'ship she'd have to choose something other than nursing. She went to another school for nursing. I would not be surprised if that doesn't happen a lot.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I know a girl that had a D1 softball scholarship offer until she said she wanted to be in the nursing program. She was told that if she wanted the 'ship she'd have to choose something other than nursing. She went to another school for nursing. I would not be surprised if that doesn't happen a lot.
I have to admit that I'm not all that troubled about that. Nursing is a demanding program that could (Heather Buck of UConn notwithstanding) make it difficult to fulfill your athletic obligations. Directing everyone to no show classes is at a different point or the continuum of balancing athletic and academics, at least in my view.

Reaction Score
Worthwhile article on the disparity between student and athlete...and administration for that matter. It will be interesting to see what UofM looks like when Schlissel is finished. I think Schlissel would be comfortable with a .500 football team if all the football players graduate. Not sure 112,000 fans at the Big House will share his disposition. I do, but I am not a season ticket holder nor a grad from UofM.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c.../11/12/michigan-football-brady-hoke/18950923/

Reaction Score
I feel bad for the kids who are sold the pipe dream of a pro sports career after college through one of these big name schools, like UNC. Just look at football, there are roughly 125 or so D1 programs and each program has 85 scholarship players. Take that number (10,600) and divide it by 4 and you have 2,650 athletes graduating per year. Of course this number is off due to early/late draft entries, available D1AA players and other divisions, etc. The NFL draft has 32 teams and a 7 round draft plus UFA supplemental, etc. That translates into 224 open slots. Thus, only 8% of each 'graduating' class has a crack at making the pros and that number is far worse for pro basketball. In turn, 92% of D1A scholarship football players are going to need that degree to have a chance at making a living off the field. These are the true victims of the scandal at UNC. They gave their body an soul for the illusion of either a pro sports career or a degree from a nationally ranked public research university and got neither.

A jury is going to see these facts and so will UNC. Which means, this suit will be settled out-of-court as a trial would be disastrous for UNC and potentially the NCAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom