Forget the devastating losses thread. How about the best plays? | The Boneyard

Forget the devastating losses thread. How about the best plays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
theuconnblog.com is doing a vote of the best plays in UConn football history (I guess since the upgrade). The nominees so far: Teggart's kick vs. USF, LT's unfair catch, Kashif's one-handed TD, Greg Robinson's sack of Matt Groethe. More to come.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
DJ in double OT has to be in there. I like Kendall rambling down the sideline, even though it was called back.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm good with Kashif's catch against So Carolina in the PJ Bowl.

I like Teggart's kicks against USF.

I will add to the list Lawrence Wilson's interception against USF for the TD in that game too.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
It wasn't a flashy play by any means, but the game winning TD against ND was a thing of beauty. I can still see Hurd clearing the path for Dixon to walk in untouched.
Agreed. And how about the stuff and de-helmet at the end zone? These have to be at the top because they figure large in one of the biggest wins for the program.

Reaction Score
My two nominations would be: the TD pass from to Kashif Moore the Notre Dame game. Great catch of a ball thrown in the perfect spot under serious pressure. Great play by a former Notre Dame quarterback, too. And the long td run against Iowa State out there. Cyclones had just taken the lead and looked to be overpowering UConn. The momentum was all Iowa State. Then Terry Caulley broke a couple of tackles and outran everyone to the end zone and put UConn on top for good.

Reaction Score
1) Kashif's catch in the PJ.com bowl
2) Teggart's game-winning kick vs. USF
3) Lloyd's goal-line stuff
4) Caulley's run vs. ISU
5) Keron Henry's catch vs. RU in 2003
6) Robinson's containment and tackle of Grothe in 2007
7) Kashif's TD in OT
8) Todman's TD run and Kickoff Return vs. ND
9) The 2 point conversion vs. Pitt
10) Lawrence Wilson's INT return at Louisville in 2008

Reaction Score
Todman's 4th down run against Pitt from our own 20. That, more than Teggart's FG, was the play of the run to the '10 championship.

The Orlovsky to Jason Williams bomb on 4th down in Ford Field against Toledo

An injured Bones bootleg for a 1st down to run the clock out at home to USF in frigid conditions in '05. (Or, if you want, Darius Butler's kickoff return for 6 earlier in the game.)

Reaction Score
Todman's 4th down run against Pitt from our own 20. That, more than Teggart's FG, was the play of the run to the '10 championship.

The Orlovsky to Jason Williams bomb on 4th down in Ford Field against Toledo

An injured Bones bootleg for a 1st down to run the clock out at home to USF in frigid conditions in '05. (Or, if you want, Darius Butler's kickoff return for 6 earlier in the game.)

I am probably in a small minority, but I feel the safety blitz and sack (J. Junior?) early in the South Carolina game was very important in that it set the tone, and created a real WTF moment for SC in what, I feel, is the program's most important win, to date.

Reaction Score
I am probably in a small minority, but I feel the safety blitz and sack (J. Junior?) early in the South Carolina game was very important in that it set the tone, and created a real WTF moment for SC in what, I feel, is the program's most important win, to date.

If you're looking for a single play that set the tone that day, I thought it was Lutrus destroying the first receiver who tried to catch a ball over the middle.

Reaction Score
1) Kashif's catch in the PJ.com bowl
2) Teggart's game-winning kick vs. USF
3) Lloyd's goal-line stuff
4) Caulley's run vs. ISU
5) Keron Henry's catch vs. RU in 2003
6) Robinson's containment and tackle of Grothe in 2007
7) Kashif's TD in OT
8) Todman's TD run and Kickoff Return vs. ND
9) The 2 point conversion vs. Pitt
10) Lawrence Wilson's INT return at Louisville in 2008
IMHO the top 3 you have are the biggest plays in our history. 2 were big plays against "Power Conference" foes (assuming ND is still big time) and the 3rd sent us to our first BCS bowl.

On a side note, number 10 is a favorite of mine because I was listening to the internet feed in Germany so I was going ape in my apartment at 4am for that play. My neighbors must have thought I was a whack job!

Reaction Score
For me the spark in '10 was Teggart's kick over WVU. Talk about pandemonium. Seemed like we lost a zillion in a row before that.

Reaction Score
A few others that haven't been named (in no particular order):
  • Orlovsky's 2-point conversion to Keron Henry at Kent State with no time left on the clock to send the game to overtime. The pass was intentionally underthrown to Henry's back shoulder... perfectly executed. UConn would win in overtime with an Orlovsky to O'Neil Wilson touchdown pass.
  • Terry Caulley's run against Florida International (I believe) at Memorial Stadium where he literally broke like 13 tackles.
  • Perkins' Pick-6 of Tyler Palko during the first night game at the Rent. That play really set the tone for an electric night.
  • O'Neil Wilson's touchdown catch at Army where he broke one tackle, side stepped another, spun off another and dove into the endzone.
  • Chris Meyer's Pick-6 against Ohio at Memorial Stadium. UConn was behind for the majority of the game but that play turned the momentum in UConn's favor.
  • Orlovsky's 4th and about 12 completion to Shaun Feldeisen with less than a minute left against Akron at the Rent where he split two defenders. UConn's hopes were kept alive and Nuzie kicked the game winning field goal as time expired.
  • Robert McClain's punt return touchdown against Cincy when UConn was in "punt safe" and basically nobody blocked for him. UConn still lost the game but it was great individual effort.
  • Jazz had a couple of diving interceptions, one against North Carolina I believe, that were things of beauty.
  • Walt Harris calling "The Slide" in 2004. Pitt has a third down just outside of UConn's 10 yard line. Instead of risking a turnover, Harris tells Palko to "slide" to the right to set up a better angle for the field goal. The field goal was good but once that happened, everyone knew UConn was going to win.
  • And last but not least, Jim Leavitt and South Florida's Voodoo 5 in 2005 (see here for more details). South Florida's hopes for a conference championship and a BCS game were dashed.

Reaction Score
A few others that haven't been named (in no particular order):
  • Orlovsky's 2-point conversion to Keron Henry at Kent State with no time left on the clock to send the game to overtime. The pass was intentionally underthrown to Henry's back shoulder... perfectly executed. UConn would win in overtime with an Orlovsky to O'Neil Wilson touchdown pass.
  • Terry Caulley's run against Florida International (I believe) at Memorial Stadium where he literally broke like 13 tackles.
  • Perkins' Pick-6 of Tyler Palko during the first night game at the Rent. That play really set the tone for an electric night.
  • O'Neil Wilson's touchdown catch at Army where he broke one tackle, side stepped another, spun off another and dove into the endzone.
  • Chris Meyer's Pick-6 against Ohio at Memorial Stadium. UConn was behind for the majority of the game but that play turned the momentum in UConn's favor.
  • Orlovsky's 4th and about 12 completion to Shaun Feldeisen with less than a minute left against Akron at the Rent where he split two defenders. UConn's hopes were kept alive and Nuzie kicked the game winning field goal as time expired.
  • Robert McClain's punt return touchdown against Cincy when UConn was in "punt safe" and basically nobody blocked for him. UConn still lost the game but it was great individual effort.
  • Jazz had a couple of diving interceptions, one against North Carolina I believe, that were things of beauty.
  • Walt Harris calling "The Slide" in 2004. Pitt has a third down just outside of UConn's 10 yard line. Instead of risking a turnover, Harris tells Palko to "slide" to the right to set up a better angle for the field goal. The field goal was good but once that happened, everyone knew UConn was going to win.
  • And last but not least, Jim Leavitt and South Florida's Voodoo 5 in 2005 (see here for more details). South Florida's hopes for a conference championship and a BCS game were dashed.

I almost mentioned Voodoo 5. That was as gutsy a win by a team without weapons as I remember.

The Feldeison catch against Akron followed Akron, miraculously, throwing two incomplete passes when they got the ball back after a missed Nuzie game winning FG attempt, that allowed us to keep time outs and make the last drive work.

The JP pick 6 against Pitt absolutely needs to be remembered. Although to some extent it was overshadowed by the remarkable day that Tyler King had before breaking his leg.

If you are just talking about great plays, as opposed to great plays that led to great wins, add TC's full somersault over an Army defender at West Point for 6.

And the one play, surprisingly, that still hasn't been mentioned until now is the Orlovsky bomb to O'Neill Wilson (I think) on the first play from scrimmage on the way to the remarkable rout at Wake Forest to cap the 9-3 season in '03.

Reaction Score
And the one play, surprisingly, that still hasn't been mentioned until now is the Orlovsky bomb to O'Neill Wilson (I think) on the first play from scrimmage on the way to the remarkable rout at Wake Forest to cap the 9-3 season in '03.

I meant to mention the Wake Forest play but I forgot. If memory serves correctly, it was a skinny post to Wilson and without any safeties back for Wake Forest, he cruised into the endzone.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nuzzi's long FG in that 1st Pitt game at The Rent. They called a TO the freeze him, I knew that it would only calm him down. That was a big win.

D. Brown's long TD run in Toronto. Buffalo seized the momentum and what looked like an easy win was getting too close for comfort until Brown went about 80 yards against a stacked D.

Channeling my inner Butchy, one on the greatest catches I ever saw was in the pouring rain at Holy Cross in 1980 or so. It's 4th and 10 with time running out and Reggie Eccelston makes a diving one handed grab to keep the drive alive. It was one-handed because the D had his other arm pinned. UConn scored a few playes later on the last play of the game and made the 2-pointer for the 1 point win.

Reaction Score
I freakin' love the Dave Teggart kick in the snow followed by Deleston's 100 yard INT return in the 08 International Bowl, that was a beauty.

Reaction Score
Lou Allen opening the 05 game vs USF with a 60+ yard run. That set the tone and the USF faithful, who were not prepared for the cold, mind you, were miserable for the next 3 hours.

Reaction Score
Tyvons kicoff return vs Rutgers and Akron

Tyler King getting a sack on Bruce Gradkowski in the Motor City bowl in his first game back from a broken leg vs Pitt

Danny O bomb to Keron Henry vs Rutgers, funny thing is Dan O called for that play vs RE conservative approach

fumble recovery vs Rutgers near the end of the game forgot who recovered it

Kash TD vs ND

Reaction Score
Todman 4th down from 20 is huge, but as far as national stage AD's TD run

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Not one mention of nick Williams' kickoff return for a TD vs Pitt? One of the most distinct momentum swings ever. I'm still mad that I saw a towel fly of someone, and thought it was being called back.

Reaction Score
Not one mention of nick Williams' kickoff return for a TD vs Pitt? One of the most distinct momentum swings ever. I'm still mad that I saw a towel fly of someone, and thought it was being called back.

I believe I turned to you as they were lining up and said something to the effect of "Now would be a good time for Williams to take one all the way back."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom