For TV Hits Just Keep on Coming -- ESPN Cuts Jobs | The Boneyard

For TV Hits Just Keep on Coming -- ESPN Cuts Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Was watching Family Feud the other day and the question was something to the effect of what do you take away from your teenager to punish them. Number #1 answer was their phone. TV was #4. TV is dying. (Sure I saw that on cable and if the question had been what do you take away when you want to punish your grandparents, TV might still be #1. For everyone else it's phone and internet.) Revenue follows eyeballs, not cable connections.

Reaction Score
While I have issues with ESPN like any UConn fan, the folks they they are laying off are going to be the regular guys and gals with families to support, dreams to chase, and not the decision makers who have contributed in part to the mess that UConn is in today. Having been downsized myself back in '10 when the economy fell apart, I wish them the best and hopefully a quick landing and a better opportunity.

Reaction Score
Was watching Family Feud the other day and the question was something to the effect of what do you take away from your teenager to punish them. Number #1 answer was their phone. TV was #4. TV is dying. (Sure I saw that on cable and if the question had been what do you take away when you want to punish your grandparents, TV might still be #1. For everyone else it's phone and internet.) Revenue follows eyeballs, not cable connections.

Is freely admitting to watching Family Feud in a BY post the same thing as admitting one's life is boring beyond all reason?

Reaction Score
Is freely admitting to watching Family Feud in a BY post the same thing as admitting one's life is boring beyond all reason?
Why else would people be rabid sports fans? Or even posting on this damn message board?

Reaction Score
Having been laid off three times in my life..at Caldors, at CompUSA and (part Time) at Staples, I wish the people being laid off the best... me, after CompUSA shut my store, I decided to become my own boss...hard work, yes but it was worth it...

Reaction Score
The fact the 'Espin'' in the process of starting up the projected ACCN is trying to keep up with the more profitable B1GN/SECN it has to sacrifice jobs at the ''greed alter'' to hold their headliners from bolting to greener pastures.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The fact the 'Espin'' in the process of starting up the projected ACCN is trying to keep up with the more profitable B1GN/SECN it has to sacrifice jobs at the ''greed alter'' to hold their headliners from bolting to greener pastures.

Can't make this stuff up.

Reaction Score
Can't make this stuff up.
Enlighten me here, what about the post you quoted elicited this response? Has word come out that espn is going to invest in an ACC network?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Enlighten me here, what about the post you quoted elicited this response? Has word come out that espn is going to invest in an ACC network?

The Rutgers fan who pretends to like UConn is claiming the ESPN layoffs are about the ACC being behind the BTN and SEC Network....

Other than the mispellings, the use of Espin and fact ESPN owns half the SEC Network...

The layoffs are about cost cutting - pretty simple.

Reaction Score
The Rutgers fan who pretends to like UConn is claiming the ESPN layoffs are about the ACC being behind the BTN and SEC Network....

Other than the mispellings, the use of Espin and fact ESPN owns half the SEC Network...

The layoffs are about cost cutting - pretty simple.
One neighbor takes another neighbor to court.
1st Neighbor: Your honor, he stole my rake.
2nd Neighbor: I only took it as a joke.
Judge (to 2nd Neighbor): How far do you live from the plaintiff?
2nd Neighbor: A half mile or so.
Judge: Verdict for the plaintiff. That's taking a joke too far.

My point being, Nicky's been around here for quite some time and as far as I can tell his patter doesn't change. He seems genuine to me. If this is some practical joke he's taken it pretty damn far.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
One neighbor takes another neighbor to court.
1st Neighbor: Your honor, he stole my rake.
2nd Neighbor: I only took it as a joke.
Judge (to 2nd Neighbor): How far do you live from the plaintiff?
2nd Neighbor: A half mile or so.
Judge: Verdict for the plaintiff. That's taking a joke too far.

My point being, Nicky's been around here for quite some time and as far as I can tell his patter doesn't change. He seems genuine to me. If this is some practical joke he's taken it pretty damn far.

I wasn't inferring that he's not sincere.

He's just a particularly dull version of clueless.

Reaction Score
He may think he's a UConn fan but it goes as far as it's convenient to whatever nonsensical point he's trying to get across.
He may think he's a fan? Wha...? He may not be a superfan like yourself but c'mon. You're the one not making a lot of sense at the moment.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He may think he's a fan? Wha...? He may not be a superfan like yourself but c'mon. You're the one not making a lot of sense at the moment.

I don't make sense plenty of the time.

But I'm not the guy claiming to like Rutgers and UConn.

Reaction Score
If you stumbled upon some of his posts on RU sites in the past, you wouldn't defend the guys UCONN fandom. To his credit lately, he has been much more neutral toward uconn in his posts on those sites.

Reaction Score
If you stumbled upon some of his posts on RU sites in the past, you wouldn't defend the guys UCONN fandom. To his credit lately, he has been much more neutral toward uconn in his posts on those sites.
I don't doubt the guy is a Rutgers fan first and a UConn fan second. I believe he's admitted as much. I myself am a fan of several teams but have a favorite among those I root for. Decades ago I rooted for the Eagles when their ineptitude made Paul Pasqualoni look like Vince Lombardi. I realized I needed a second rooting interest for the playoffs because the Iggs were never there. I picked the Cowboys. That didn't make me less an Eagles fan. Nicky seems genuinely concerned with our success. To me that's worth something.

Reaction Score
I'm safe. Good luck to my fellow Bristol Boneyarders...

More are in the works - it's not done yet. I'm glad you're safe right now, but nobody should be lulled into a false sense of security just yet.

Reaction Score
Verizon is next. Hearing as many as 10k to be announced today.

Reaction Score
You said he was pretending. Sounded like an implication of insincerity to me.
whats funny is I can't see who or what you're replying too....sounds like someone i've had on ignore for yrs. My guess is whale or art...but theirs 2 or 3 who resented the fact i'm here...

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
whats funny is I can't see who or what you're replying too....sounds like someone i've had on ignore for yrs. My guess is whale or art...but theirs 2 or 3 who resented the fact i'm here...

Few things are better than being put on ignore by idiots. The dumber the poster the sweeter the ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom