For those thinking UConn is in play for a Big 10 bid | The Boneyard

For those thinking UConn is in play for a Big 10 bid

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I can see why they would go with those schools over UCONN. But I don't see why it would doom the ACC or Big 12. I hope the Big 10 adds whoever - whether it's UCONN or not. Getting us into an even watered down ACC is better than where we are now.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Idiot. In this respect - you cannot count (seriously) Johns Hopkins as part of the B1G. The B1G wanted to sponsor Lacrosse and needed an additional team to do so, so they went out and collected a premier Lax program at a primarily non D1 school. (You may recollect (or not) that the oldBE had Loyola (Md) in women's Lax for the same reason). BUT you cannot take this to keep babbling that there are 15 schools in the conference. Not any truer than saying that Loyola (Md) was in the oldBE.

It "is" true, however, that the ACC and B12 are considered quite vulnerable in future conference expansion, and in reality, the Big12 may not survive when it happens.

Reaction Score
IMHO I think the BIG 10 would be a better fit for UCONN than the ACC! The AAC hasn't been a downer so far on recruiting, or preparing for the NCAA's but the idea of facing Houston, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, and the other schools so far away doesn't make good rivalries being over 1,000 miles away! Schools you can drive to to see games create rivalries! I really hated when all this rearrangements for football changed the conference structures! The Big East, Big 12, ACC, SEC, PAC 12, Big 10, all had matchups every week where real rivals had close exciting games! Now every conference was gutted so FB could make $40 million more per school! UCONN can't get the same "UP" for a game vs Houston than it did vs Rutgers, Villanova, ND, The old BC games, etc. There are very few real rival games across the USA in 2015 and going forward!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sort of a silly article and with no real thought about the likelihood - Virginia and North Carolina have two major state schools each, and there is strong pressure in-state to keep those schools in tandem and the Big10 isn't going to be interested in VaTech or NCState.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
All I know is that a basketball conference with UConn, Duke, UNC, Pitt, Viegina, and Syracuse, and so on, would be a lot of fun. Great for the men's game, better than the AAC for the women.

Reaction Score
You should read this article - and don't say AAU membership isn't an issue. Best case scenario is that the ACC gets raided opening up a spot for UConn that even BC can't veto.

http://www.btpowerhouse.com/2015/7/21/8911733/big-ten-expansion-would-be-beneficial-down-the-road

It would have been more informative if the writer tell more about what the B10 plan to do about Neb. You can't have someone sitting at the dinner table without a dinner jacket. Saying that they had a jacket at one time will not do. And why is he fumbling around the question of academic integrity? Are they really thinking hard over UNC- weighing academic integ against AAU? Just a guy with a computer and probably not clever enough to pass on the opportunity to write himself into a newspaper.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Calling that an article is a stretch. It is a fan post, and not a particularly informed fan at that.
20141007_144131.jpg

Wola Odeniran
  • joined Apr 27, 2015
  • last login Jul 22, 2015
  • posts 14
  • comments 1

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It did start me wondering about UNC and their AAU affiliation - the AAU has to be seriously looking into this I would think. I know it is 'contained' within athletics though UNC has been arguing it is a purely academic issue. AAU is mostly about the research money, but academic integrity is also a strong consideration.

Uconn I believe would have a really good case for inclusion if their medical campus were something like 20 miles closer to Storrs. They have serious research grants there, but it is too far away to be included in the Uconn 'profile' for the AAU.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
What is the fascination with the people on this Board with UConn joining the B1G? I've seen more than a few Forum Topics about this particular subject. Its not going to happen. The Power 5 Conferences will break from the NCAA first. What has to be understood is the "straw that stirs the drink" in College Athletics is Football. It garners the most fans, national attention, and generates the most revenue. The B1G took Rutgers to expand access to the NY TV market, no other reason. They accepted Maryland to make inroads into DMV TV Market and tweak the ACC. It doesn't matter how many NC's the Lady Huskies win, for the B1G adding 8-10,000 people to their arenas once a year simply isn't worth it for them. The B1G has 4 Stadiums that seat more than 100,000 and 4 that seat at least 80,000. UConn's seats less than 50,000 and they don't even fill that up. They won't increase access to the NY TV Market. Its not about academics in the final analysis, its about revenue and UConn simply can't generate the necessary revenue on the Football side.

CL82

Reaction Score
What is the fascination with the people on this Board with UConn joining the B1G? I've seen more than a few Forum Topics about this particular subject. Its not going to happen. The Power 5 Conferences will break from the NCAA first. What has to be understood is the "straw that stirs the drink" in College Athletics is Football. It garners the most fans, national attention, and generates the most revenue. The B1G took Rutgers to expand access to the NY TV market, no other reason. They accepted Maryland to make inroads into DMV TV Market and tweak the ACC. It doesn't matter how many NC's the Lady Huskies win, for the B1G adding 8-10,000 people to their arenas once a year simply isn't worth it for them. The B1G has 4 Stadiums that seat more than 100,000 and 4 that seat at least 80,000. UConn's seats less than 50,000 and they don't even fill that up. They won't increase access to the NY TV Market. Its not about academics in the final analysis, its about revenue and UConn simply can't generate the necessary revenue on the Football side.
Troll_940px.jpg

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Typical response when someone doesn't genuflect at the altar of Husky. The simple recitation of facts and data isn't trolling.

CL82

Reaction Score
Typical response when someone doesn't genuflect at the altar of Husky. The simple recitation of facts and data isn't trolling.
Typical troll response.

1) Attack

Next up...

2) play victim...

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Typical troll response.

1) Attack

Next up...

2) play victim...
Please show me in my statement anything that could be remotely considered derogatory or inaccurate.

Reaction Score
The author doesn't know his history. Nebraska was on the way to being kicked out of the AAU long before being accepted by the B1G. Their chancellor admitted that their membership had been tenuous for a decade (they were admitted to the B1G less than a year before being voted out of the AAU). Furthermore, some of the B1G schools were among those voting against them. It's clear that the B1G knew it was possible, if not likely, that Nebraska would be expelled while they were voting on league membership. If you can bring a long football history and a full-house football stadium AAU membership suddenly becomes less important. For the right market, AAU would also be less important. Whether CT/NE is that market (and, unfortunately, I fear it is not) remains to be seen.

Reaction Score
One man's opinion
You should read this article - and don't say AAU membership isn't an issue. Best case scenario is that the ACC gets raided opening up a spot for UConn that even BC can't veto.

http://www.btpowerhouse.com/2015/7/21/8911733/big-ten-expansion-would-be-beneficial-down-the-road
There is absolutely nothing in this article that has any value at all. It's just repackaged fluff that has been thrown out there for a long time. The need for AAU status is a point of conjecture but who knows what actually would matter to the Big Ten bigwigs. I surely wouldn't dismiss the chances of UConn to get a bid because I think they have more play in the greater New York area than does Rutgers and it's a substantially more important market than is the Baltimore area market. I do think that the Georgia market might be significant because of the recruiting potential for Big Ten teams. To me, North Carolina has tarnished themselves badly with their educational scandal and I'd be leery of offering them a bid to the conference!

CL82

Reaction Score
Please show me in my statement anything that could be remotely considered derogatory or inaccurate.
Mmm... no. I'm not a big fan of feeding trolls.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Rutgers really is the ticket to the New York area market! Are you kidding me??? They haven't had a whole lot more football success than has the Huskies and what kind of draw have they been in football??? UConn has a much more rounded athletic department than Rutgers and they've had so little success in basketball, it's almost embarrassing. With acceptance into the Big 10, don't you think they'd have more success recruiting. By the way, I don't have a sense that teams like Indiana have ever had any real success in football though I do admit to not knowing how big their stadium is or how often they might fill it. The article mentioned Kansas as a viable team for the Big 10 and their only success athletically is their men's basketball program, which incidentally hasn't had anywhere near the success that our men's program has over the last fifteen years and DO THEY EVEN HAVE A WOMAN'S PROGRAM? Their football program has sucked for many years! Why the need to bash our chances?????

Reaction Score
I can see why they would go with those schools over UCONN. But I don't see why it would doom the ACC or Big 12. I hope the Big 10 adds whoever - whether it's UCONN or not. Getting us into an even watered down ACC is better than where we are now.
Eric, I think Georgia Tech and Virginia are quite viable but with North Carolina's academic scandal, would they still be acceptable? I still can't see what Kansas offers with their lack of any athletic success, other than men's basketball and the miniscule TV market they have.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Yeah, Rutgers really is the ticket to the New York area market! Are you kidding me??? They haven't had a whole lot more football success than has the Huskies and what kind of draw have they been in football??? UConn has a much more rounded athletic department than Rutgers and they've had so little success in basketball, it's almost embarrassing. With acceptance into the Big 10, don't you think they'd have more success recruiting. By the way, I don't have a sense that teams like Indiana have ever had any real success in football though I do admit to not knowing how big their stadium is or how often they might fill it. The article mentioned Kansas as a viable team for the Big 10 and their only success athletically is their men's basketball program, which incidentally hasn't had anywhere near the success that our men's program has over the last fifteen years and DO THEY EVEN HAVE A WOMAN'S PROGRAM? Their football program has sucked for many years! Why the need to bash our chances?????
As I have tried to say many times, UConn would indeed draw more viewers and fans than Rutgers, but it was never about that. It was about having a school in a market allowing the BTN to charge significantly higher fees to TV providers. Rutgers provided that. Assuming that UConn would have, as well, I can't tell you why they chose Rutgers specifically, except that Rutgers certainly worked for it and the B1G long had RU in its sights.

Indiana is an original member of the B1G since 1899 - so I don't think the size of the football program was a big factor.

Reaction Score
Rutgers is in the NYC DMA, UConn is not. It really may be that simple.

CL82

Reaction Score
Rutgers is in the NYC DMA, UConn is not. It really may be that simple.
It may be. If both offered access to the NYC DMA then NJ's 9 million people may have been more attractive than CT's 3 million. Also RU being AAU made it an easier sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom