For those hoping for the "call of the wild" helmets to go away... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

For those hoping for the "call of the wild" helmets to go away...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There was an article a while back about alternate helmets. In general, it says a full set costs about 50k to produce. I assume that is a factor here.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if that was true or at least if there is a fee for a re-design. Despite Warde bragging that he got all this great re-design for free, it probably came with some strings like we'd use them for a given period. Proves you get what you pay for. With the exception of a few posters here, I'd bet the minority, I haven't heard anyone from teenage nephews to golden Huskies who think these are good. Most say they are either really ugly. Others say laughable.

out-of-touch.jpg

Reaction Score
I am old fashioned, so I think the helmets look like they were purchased from "Bradlee's". Yes "that" old fashioned. Was Jean Paul what's his face involved with the design, or was it Luke from Dukes of Hazard?

Reaction Score
Find me another logo that is face forward? Texas, but its more stylized. Nobody does it that way because it is so difficult to work with and the results are what you see on the COW helmets. But hey, we got this all for free.

For what its worth, I spoke with friend of mine who is pretty involved with the athletic department. He says that Warde & friends were pretty surprised at both how negative the reaction was to the COW and how poorly the concept translated on television. But he confirmed that they are stuck with COW for a while as part of the Nike deal, though he didn't say how many years. But expect changes as soon as they are no longer contractually oblicated to the COW.

Reaction Score
Does helmet artwork really help a team win football games? No? Okay. I'm over it.

If UConn went back to a past design, I like the interlocking UC. It used to be on some of the lecturers' podiums when I was in school ('95-'99). If you still are unsure, see No. 14 below (I also like #13 and #15. Those were the 1-AA helmets when I was in school).
uconn+helmets.bmp

14 has always been my favorite helmet. I also like 8, classy and rugged.

Reaction Score
And No.
http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/7/178/full/1029...

In fact, not a single one in the entire NFL. Not 1 single forward facing logo any more. Because they are too hard to work with.
http://www.sportslogos.net/teams/list_by_league/7/National_Football_League/NFL/logos/

edit: Maybe Oakland could be called forward facing but it is small and incorporated on the "shield" that it is in a different category.. But keep on defending our laughable helmets. After all we're in a laughable league with a laughable AD who blew his most important assignment and only has a job because, let's be honest, who would hire him away from us?

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
th
th

Looking at the helmet from head on, they are both forward facing.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Just like a version of the Texas Helmet to which I was under the impression you were referring.
texas.png

Reaction Score
th
th

Looking at the helmet from head on, they are both forward facing.
Those are on the sides of the helmets, and aren't their team logos. These are comparable to putting a paw print or dog ears or something on the sides of our helmets. And the marks themselves are in profile, not face on.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Those are on the sides of the helmets, and aren't their team logos. These are comparable to putting a paw print or dog ears or something on the sides of our helmets. And the marks themselves are in profile, not face on.

Yeah, The NFL should just allow them to put actual horns on the helmet so the mascot is more realistic as Adrian Peterson is about to fake you out of your jock.

Incidentally, the Raider logo is forward facing on the side of the helmet, as is Carolina, and New England's alternate (Throw back) Helmet has Pat Patriot, which is still produced.

Indifference is not defending. My goal was to show you that it does not matter. The logo on the side of the Helmet does not factor into the outcome of games. For the first two of the last three years, UConn employed the Block C. They aren't in a p5 conference. Had UConn won more than 33.3% of their games, they may have had a better shot of being taken seriously. 'n helmet has exactly nothing to do with the score on the Video board.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I actually love the new logo way more than the old logo.

I give them credit for trying something new, that being said... the helmets are ugly. I think the idea isn't totally awful but just wasn't executed well enough (I.e. no piercing blue eyes and not a wide enough shot of the husky).

Oh well, I suspect we'll get new ones soon.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I actually love the new logo way more than the old logo.

I give them credit for trying something new, that being said... the helmets are ugly. I think the idea isn't totally awful but just wasn't executed well enough (I.e. no piercing blue eyes and not a wide enough shot of the husky).

Oh well, I suspect we'll get new ones soon.
I like the new logo and I'm indifferent on the helmets because they don't move the needle in terms of performance on the field or which recruits fax in their NLI on the first Wednesday in February.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
As a card carrying hater of the COW as the default headgear, though I do own a blue one through a charity auction, I understand what they were going for but the execution didn't work. The empty side panels is what kills it. I actually like the UCONN on the back as a design element. With all the different effects used by other schools, the center stripe looks cheap or slap dash for you older folks. They replaced the standard blue wide to narrow stripe from other helmets with the cropped logo.

If you gave me back the blue block C as the standard and used the white COW as the alternate, I think everyone would have better received both it and the new logo.

Reaction Score
I have come to LOVE the new HUSKY logo but want it on the helmet sides or just keep the existing design BUT make it much much wider. There is potential in the existing design but the execution is very flawed.

Last edited:

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Would be cool if Diaco instituted a Husky paw sticker or Husky claw or something similar every time a guy made a good play, similar to the Buckeyes for OSU. Would be a productive way to fill the blank space on the sides.
That would look sick on the white lids too.

Reaction Score
I could give a rats what the helmets look like. People are too concerned with what the uniform looks, what we look like on TV, what the stadium looks like...... If the team performs on the field the rest will take care of itself. I've been a season ticket holder since the Yankee Conference days and I've enjoyed wins against UMass and Maine as much as big wins against WVU and Pitt. It's all about what happens the day your at the game. Just enjoy it one game at a time.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I could give a rats a what the helmets look like. People are too concerned with what the uniform looks, what we look like on TV, what the stadium looks like. If the team performs on the field the rest will take care of itself. I've been a season ticket holder since the Yankee Conference days and I've enjoyed wins against UMass and Maine as much as big wins against WVU and Pitt. It's all about what happens the day your at the game. Just enjoy it one game at a time.
How dare you introduce common sense into this forum!?!?!:eek:

Husky25

Reaction Score

We need more dogs....

THAT was one of the funniest press conference responses I've ever seen. Right up there with I'M A MAN! I'M 40!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom