Flyover for the Nova game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Flyover for the Nova game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's another "eagle and the egg" conundrum. Is it a Husky football program embarrassment if the mighty eagle flies through a typically sparsely filled stadium during pregame? Or does the anticipation of experiencing the eagle's flight actually help fill the stadium for kickoff?
What pregame event/experience is most likely to fill the stadium most for kickoff? There must be something. I offered to put $1,000 on every seat but it was voted down by too many folks who needed that last tailgate beer.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Well, the bald eagle is making a comeback in CT so maybe it's emblematic for the team and fan base. But I wasn't proposing having the bald eagle flyover be a marketing promotion to get fans into the stadium, although it probably wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Almost sad that you had to make the connection for some people.

As for military jets, -22's out of Langley would be the closest combat jets that are Pratt powered and not 30 years old.

Nah. 104th wing out of Barnes flies F15s with P@W power plants. They could be over rentschler in about 2 minutes after going airborne. Bradley has the c130 which has the lockheed CT ties. Blackhawks and other whirlybirds have that Sikorsky place to fly out of, until they leave CT for better business environment. You'd hope that with both Army and Navy back to back at home we won't blow a wad on budget expenses for flyovers on Villanova.

Its nice to be home again for awhile btw. Idk how much I'll be able to be around this season as the world turns, but I'll be following coach booby's progress with the program.

Reaction Score
I suppose everybody would have their own version of a favorite flyby - here's mine. There is nothing like the sounds that this aircraft makes, and everybody that seen it, knows the whine, and hopes like hell that the god d-am fart gun isn't pointed in your direction. Used to be a few in CT at Bradly until 2008, and as of now, I think all of them remaining in service are deployed either eastern Europe or middle east. F-22 got nothing on this plane.

(caution - swearing in this video I found on youtube)

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If it is the eagle, I hope it attacks the Nova mascot. This is what I picture that big headed kitty looking like a moment before the eagle sweeps in and takes it's head and flies on top of the press box and starts picking out the eyes.

4210516686_f666811729_z.jpg

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Didn't they have some guys parachute in a few years ago and one or some got blown off course and landed out in the parking lot?

Reaction Score
My son saw this fly over as a Tech freshman. Both Navy pilots permanently grounded over it.

Reaction Score
Didn't they have some guys parachute in a few years ago and one or some got blown off course and landed out in the parking lot?

No, it was the West Virginia game in 2010, and it was a windy night, and there was discussion as to whether not to call off the night jump. Not sure what kind of aircraft they made the jump from, but It was dark by kickoff time, and there were 10-12 knot cross winds or something like that. We've all seen what the wind can do coming off the runway into the stadium. Jumpers were cadets out of West Point, and both of them landed in the middle of the C. Helps to have a well illuminated and line calibrated LZ target like a football field though.

Reaction Score
Back to the other point in the initial note, 30,000? Against a "basketball" school? On a Thursday night following a horrid season and horrid seasons before that? I'd love to see it and I hope I'm wrong but I don't think we come close to 30K.

We should have a great crowd for Army, unless the weather really sucks that day, but not the 'Nova opener.

Reaction Score
The best one I saw was a few years back at Edwards Air Force Base. We were playing golf and in the fairway (miraculously) and a B-2 bomber with it's wheels out came slowly right down the fairway and over our heads at much less than 500 feet. Just awesome in the true meaning of the word.
Was playing there in mid-70s and we saw the space shuttle on the 747 carrier. That thing was huge. Not flying, just sitting outside the hanger... nice view from the hill on the course.

Reaction Score
Nope - I was wrong whaler - 4 jumpers made the jump that night in 2010, and 2 of them landed outside the stadium. Windy night, and they probably went out in pairs, and the timing and wind, one pair didn't make it. I remember them carrying game balls. Pretty cool.

Reaction Score
No, it was the West Virginia game in 2010, and it was a windy night, and there was discussion as to whether not to call off the night jump. Not sure what kind of aircraft they made the jump from, but It was dark by kickoff time, and there were 10-12 knot cross winds or something like that. We've all seen what the wind can do coming off the runway into the stadium. Jumpers were cadets out of West Point, and both of them landed in the middle of the C. Helps to have a well illuminated and line calibrated LZ target like a football field though.
If we are talking about the same event (and I can only recall one time parachutist were at the Rent) two of them landed out in the parking lot and a few made it safely inside the stadium.

**Should have kept reading; at least my memory was correct**

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My son saw this fly over as a Tech freshman. Both Navy pilots permanently grounded over it.

what'd they do wrong? landing gear down? too low?

Any flyover requires FAA approval and meet service policy. Pilots broke the hard ceiling for altitude and unlike Maverick in Top Gun, it cost them big time.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The best one I saw was a few years back at Edwards Air Force Base. We were playing golf and in the fairway (miraculously) and a B-2 bomber with it's wheels out came slowly right down the fairway and over our heads at much less than 500 feet. Just awesome in the true meaning of the word.

Be thankful it wasn't a supersonic low pass by some of the planes out there. They do it routinely and it will scare the poop right out of you.

Reaction Score
If we are talking about the same event (and I can only recall one time parachutist were at the Rent) two of them landed out in the parking lot and a few made it safely inside the stadium.

**Should have kept reading; at least my memory was correct**

I was inside the stadium and I only remember seeing 2 chutes. I remember the announcement that game balls would be delivered to the stadium that way prior to game. They both landed dead center in the C a few seconds apart. I went back and checked though, because I also don't remember there ever being a drop in like that any other time, and even though whaler is a degenerate, he's got a good memory for football, so I went back and found what I found. They were part of the Army Golden Knight program and they jumped in two pair, one pair made it and the other didn't. They were all carrying game balls, I remember them handing balls over to the crew after landing. Very cool. There was a flyby scheduled not too long ago, but it was the lear jet out of Bradley I think, and it was high altitude, nobody knew it happened. Waste of money. Hopefully something cool will be scheduled for either Army or Navy, or both.

We also beat West Virginia in OT that night, to start the roll toward the fiesta bowl, after a disasterous start to that season - QB controversy, players dismissed for substance issues, a 26-0 goosegg against Louisville- then we got that game, a slop fest of a game filled with turnovers and all kinds of stuff. Bill Stewart made the numbnuts call of a punt in our territory late in the game that turned the game and our season.

Reaction Score
I remember the Lear Jet as well. I believe it flew over about 2 minutes after the National Anthem ended. It was quite a spectacular sight.

Reaction Score
The subtle irony of playing Danger Zone which was used for Top Gun and Navy F-14's while having USAF F-15's do a flyover.

Southwest aircrew having some fun during takeoff. I find this hilarious and think of it every time I fly commercial now.

Reaction Score
I remember the Lear Jet as well. I believe it flew over about 2 minutes after the National Anthem ended. It was quite a spectacular sight.

I'm not sure what game it was, I think USF homecoming, Skippy's return to Connecticut. They had one of those giant flags on the field carried by servicemen and women, and/or boy scouts or something. Might be wrong, the jet was way high though, and I remember thinking that if you weren't looking for it, it wouldn't have mattered - would have looked like a jet on approach to Bradley.

Budget issues were shifted just this past year about all this kind of stuff though. A couple of F-15's out of Barnes as well as the Hecules 130 out of Bradley did close flyovers of Memorial day parades across CT back in May. Chin is right, there are all kinds of issues that go into getting flyovers approved, but with the military academies playing at Rentschler in Sept - that's a pretty big wide open opportunity to get something authorized.

Would be cool. This stuff is definitely memorable and people like it.

Reaction Score
The B25 at Michigan Stadium was pretty cool. Looks like they also had a B2 fly over for their game against Army.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nope - I was wrong whaler - 4 jumpers made the jump that night in 2010, and 2 of them landed outside the stadium. Windy night, and they probably went out in pairs, and the timing and wind, one pair didn't make it. I remember them carrying game balls. Pretty cool.

Yeah I watched them land in the bus lot back behind the student section.

Reaction Score
Any flyover requires FAA approval and meet service policy. Pilots broke the hard ceiling for altitude and unlike Maverick in Top Gun, it cost them big time.

they did that flyover on a whim?? wow, stupid.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what game it was, I think USF homecoming, Skippy's return to Connecticut. They had one of those giant flags on the field carried by servicemen and women, and/or boy scouts or something. Might be wrong, the jet was way high though, and I remember thinking that if you weren't looking for it, it wouldn't have mattered - would have looked like a jet on approach to Bradley.

Budget issues were shifted just this past year about all this kind of stuff though. A couple of F-15's out of Barnes as well as the Hecules 130 out of Bradley did close flyovers of Memorial day parades across CT back in May. Chin is right, there are all kinds of issues that go into getting flyovers approved, but with the military academies playing at Rentschler in Sept - that's a pretty big wide open opportunity to get something authorized.

Would be cool. This stuff is definitely memorable and people like it.

I used to LOVE the CT ANG A-10 flyovers of our memorial day parade in town, I would get so pumped for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom