Five Star Players In The Super Bowl | The Boneyard

Five Star Players In The Super Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
All that means is that college recruiting rankings, by the public, internet, pay for service, ranking systems is meaningless in predicting team success in professional football. Hardly an earth shattering revelation.

What there is, that is easily demonstrated, is a high correlation between college football team success and the same recruiting rankings. Correlation - is different than causation.

What I think, is that professional players that do well, are the kinds of players that have a pre-requisite skill and talent set, are well motivated, and are capable of continued and non-stop acceptance of good coaching, and development. It's a reality in football, that by the time that really good players have gained enough knowledge to really be dominant at the sport at the highest levels - their bodies no longer can compete. The endless frustration of a coach. The players that can play physically, are eternally behind the curve in mentally learning the game - no matter what level you are at.

What I also think, is that the same kinds of players that show up in college at the 2.5 public, pay for service, ranking systems - will have the same characteristics as those successful NFL players. They are capable of absorbing good coaching and developing continually. The difficulty in college, is that you either have to have a very deep and well stacked depth chart to develop those players into upperclassmen balanced as roster across the board, or you need to have an accelerated learning curve through exceptional coaching and work ethic from both player and coach.

I just posted a look at 2015 upper classmen. We are thin.

We can have success at UCONN, with the 2.5 star players - but we need to develop adequate depth charts, and quality coaching.

Reaction Score
We can have success at UCONN, with the 2.5 star players - but we need to develop adequate depth charts, and quality coaching.

The star system doesn't mean anything in the NFL, that's a whole other league. But, it means a lot in NCAA. The team who won the National Championship were they full of 2*? No. We (UConn) will not win against teams full of 3, 4, and 5 stars in a consistent basis with a team averaging 2.5 stars. We couldn't even beat a winless SMU and we barely beat Stony Brook.

Reaction Score
I heard the Ulizio kid got a lot better when he flipped his "committment" from us to Michigan. Maybe the stars will catch up.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see if the recruiting sites could reevaluate their rankings of recruiting classes five years after a "class" graduated and those players went onto professional football. Recruit rankings aren't a perfect science, and it's incredibly hard to project an 18 year old's path to success on the football field

Reaction Score
The star system doesn't mean anything in the NFL, that's a whole other league. But, it means a lot in NCAA. The team who won the National Championship were they full of 2*? No. We (UConn) will not win against teams full of 3, 4, and 5 stars in a consistent basis with a team averaging 2.5 stars. We couldn't even beat a winless SMU and we barely beat Stony Brook.

I agree that it's meaningful in the NCAA, and you are correct.

That doesn't mean we can't be relevant both regionally and nationally as a football program though, all it takes is a coaching staff to put a plan together that works to assemble a roster, and then condition and train them, and put them in position to win games that are on the schedule, and then for the players to go do it.

2014 was the worst season of UCONN football in a long, long time, it was about as far away from what I just wrote, as you can get.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

How soon we forget -

We did beat a 3/4/5 * ND team with a bunch of 2 stars, no??

I could be wro...wron...wrong.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Notre Dame, Ohio State, Texas, Michigan, and Alabama get 5 star players... it doesn't matter how good or bad those players are at actually playing football.. that's irrelevant. When the above schools win they got great 5 star players, when they don't... they weren't so great... but their recruiting classes, no matter what, are filled with 5 star players.

When it's Brian Kelly and Nick Saban coaching those 5 star players are great... when it's Charlie Weis and Mike Shula not so much.

Reaction Score
How soon we forget -

We did beat a 3/4/5 * ND team with a bunch of 2 stars, no??

I could be wro...wron...wrong.

That was a badly coached Notre Dame team (6-6) and we still struggled (OT) to win. Also, if you read my post I said we (UConn) can't ''consistently'' (week after week) beat a team full of 3, 4, and 5 star players with a team full of 2 star players, not that we can't beat a team of 3, 4, and 5 stars. If we scheduled Michigan, USC, Texas, Florida, Virginia Tech etc... that same year we beat ND do you really think we would win those games? Nope, not with a team full of 2 stars we won't and that's my point.

If we want to consistently be in the top of this boring conference (AAC) then we need to recruit and coach better that simple. We can't even beat Temple, and the funny thing is they've been recruiting better (they have a commitment from a 4 star player) than us for the past couple years now.

Reaction Score
Before there was the NFL and before the Big Ten picked up steam, football was the rich man's game. Think any of them were 4 or 5 stars?

The 1908 Harvard national championship team had a direct descendant (Hamilton Fish III) of Peter Stuyvesant and a grandson (Hamilton Corbett) of a founder of Portand, Oregon play for them. At least.

Reaction Score
The key in recruiting is NOT the number of stars, it's the competition for the recruit (who else is offering). To become the best (or among the best) you need to beat the best - on the recruiting trails first and then on the field once you've landed your fair share of the better players.

Reaction Score
The key in recruiting is NOT the number of stars, it's the competition for the recruit (who else is offering). To become the best (or among the best) you need to beat the best - on the recruiting trails first and then on the field once you've landed your fair share of the better players.

a lot of the success hinges on having quality reserves. Football wears players down and players sustain season ending injuries. Most FBS teams can field quality starting teams but how much quality is on the bench is another matter. The Ohio States and Alabama's of the world keep coming at you with talent, 3 & 4 deep.

Reaction Score

Pretty sure I just saw a stat on ESPN stating 14 of Ohio State's 22 starters were ESPN 300 recruits.

Reaction Score
4 and 5 star players are (some of) the best coming out of HS. they go to the Big Football factories who usually win all the Big Bowls etc. There are, however so many many more 2-3 star players going to all the other schools that those that are high quality and did not go to the factories outnumber those that did..thus more 2-3 star in NFL. Well a theory anyway.

Reaction Score
All this tells me is that most great NFL players haven't peaked as players by the time they are high school seniors.

Reaction Score
Mike and Mike did a bit on the politics of recruiting sites/rankings this morning. Glad to hear someone say it out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom