First weekend games | The Boneyard

First weekend games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great start to the Ohio State game, UConn with a 2-0 lead after 1 inning, highlighted by a Melley homer, and Tabakman striking out the side.

Of course, there was also a sac bunt and a UConn runner thrown out on the bases in the first. We'll have all season to moan and groan and argue over this stuff.

Reaction Score
Of course, there was also a sac bunt and a UConn runner thrown out on the bases in the first. We'll have all season to moan and groan and argue over this stuff.[/quote]

I was just thinking the same thing

Reaction Score
<sigh> http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/021414aaa.html

Game Notes

- Bobby Melley recorded his first career homerun in his first at-bat of 2014. The first baseman did not record a round-tripper in 240 at-bats last season.
- The Huskies fall to 2-9 in season openers under current head coach Jim Penders.
- With a third inning single, second baseman Vinny Siena has now reached base safely in 12 consecutive games dating back to 2013. The sophomore also holds a six-game hitting streak.
- Andrew Zapata pitched 1.1 innings without allowing an earned run in his collegiate debut, striking out two.

Reaction Score
This was tweeted earlier but it's not out there anymore so don't know if there's been a change:

“@UConnBaseball: UConn's lineup vs. Indiana St: CF Sundberg, 2B Siena, C McDowell,1B Melley, DH Sullivan, LF Yavarone, RF Davey, 3B Darras, SS Hill, P Marzi”

Live stat link: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=51240&a=1

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn no offense thru 6. Down 1-0. Only 1 hit on the day so far. Haven't scored in 14 straight innings.

Reaction Score
UConn no offense thru 6. Down 1-0. Only 1 hit on the day so far. Haven't scored in 14 straight innings.

Only 2 hits all day. Anemic offense right now.

Reaction Score
Gee our pitchers gave up double digit walks and our hitters with double digit k's. Not looking good right now. Freshmen forced into early action and struggling.

Reaction Score
Well, this was certainly a blah game for the Huskies. The only positive is that the early season suspensions to Sundberg (by the way, he had two walks today in the lead off spot) and Daniello are done with.

Reaction Score
UConn lineup vs. Auburn:

Sundberg - CF
Siena - 2B
Melley - DH
Darras - 1B
Davey - LF
Daniello -3B
Garabedian - RF
David - C
Hill - SS

Jon Testani struck out three times in the first game and found himself out of the lineup, and Ryan Sullivan struck out four times yesterday and is not in the lineup today. That could be construed as something of a trend.

Reaction Score
UConn lineup vs. Auburn:

Sundberg - CF
Siena - 2B
Melley - DH
Darras - 1B
Davey - LF
Daniello -3B
Garabedian - RF
David - C
Hill - SS

Jon Testani struck out three times in the first game and found himself out of the lineup, and Ryan Sullivan struck out four times yesterday and is not in the lineup today. That could be construed as something of a trend.
Well the Auburn pitcher has struck out 4 of the first 6 batters today. Seems to be a team problem right now. Offense struggling just to make contact.

Reaction Score
Third inning and Auburn already has 5 stolen bases against Connor David and that is with a lefty pitcher on the mound in Ward which generally makes it tougher to steal?

Reaction Score
Third inning and Auburn already has 5 stolen bases against Connor David and that is with a lefty pitcher on the mound in Ward which generally makes it tougher to steal?

I remember David had a big problem throwing last year. Take a look at last year's stats, he only threw out one base stealer last season.

Reaction Score
My question then is, can you catch him? If every time a base runner gets on its like giving up a double. Is there another catcher option after McDowell? I think Davey is listed as a catcher also.

Reaction Score
My question then is, can you catch him? If every time a base runner gets on its like giving up a double. Is there another catcher option after McDowell? I think Davey is listed as a catcher also.

I don't think you want to put Connor David behind the plate against teams that run a lot. As far as Davey is concerned, he is listed as a catcher, but I believe he was mainly a DH at his junior college last season. It seems to me if he had really good defensive skills, he would have been catching last year. I suspect he's on this team for his bat more than anything else.

Reaction Score
Well today it was 5 errors leading to 4 unearned runs which was the difference. Just a sign of being a young team I suppose. Pitchers are throwing way too many walks and batters are striking out too much, need to make contact so the other team potentially makes more errors.
By the way, with the offense struggling anyone know what the story is with Olmstead? I believe he was a MLB draft pick and fairly high, would think that he would have been able to crack the lineup or at least get an at bat this weekend?

Reaction Score
By the way, with the offense struggling anyone know what the story is with Olmstead? I believe he was a MLB draft pick and fairly high, would think that he would have been able to crack the lineup or at least get an at bat this weekend?

13th round... Kind of what I was referring to w/ questions on line-up going forward. Appears they have a bunch of outfielders - do we see a rotation of frosh on the travel squad going forward until someone cements a spot w/ impressive bat/speed?

Reaction Score
AU Game Stats: http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2013-2014/au03.html

Add: http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/021614aaa.html

Game Notes

- Nico Darras collected his first career multi-hit game, the first for a UConn player this season. He also posted his first RBI as a Husky.

- Vinny Siena (Woodbridge) extended his hitting streak to eight games, dating back to last season. Siena has also reached base in 14 consecutive contests.

- Griffin Garabedian secured his first hit as a Husky, also knocking in his first run.

- UConn committed five errors on the day and now has seven in three games this season. The Huskies averaged 1.38 miscues per game in 2013.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lot of young players on this team. Let's hope they develop through the season otherwise it's going to be a long, long season.

Reaction Score
Well today it was 5 errors leading to 4 unearned runs which was the difference. Just a sign of being a young team I suppose. Pitchers are throwing way too many walks and batters are striking out too much, need to make contact so the other team potentially makes more errors.

You should give a listen to Chris Jones preseason interviews with Penders and the rest of the coaches. They talk quite a bit about Olmstead, and for that matter, the rest of the players.

http://uconnbaseballblog.wordpress.com/

Reaction Score
Lot of young players on this team. Let's hope they develop through the season otherwise it's going to be a long, long season.

It is most certainly a young team, and it didn't help that Tom Verdi, their lead off hitter and their only senior out in the field, was not able to play this weekend.

Reaction Score
I have to vent.. The coaches live and die by the radar gun. Pitchers are gunned every practice and every pitch mph is documented from day one. Note to Coach Penders: High velocity doesn't dictate heart or ability to pitch and get players out.. MOVEMENT DOES....A flat 90 +will be hit all day long by D1 teams..

Reaction Score
Disappointing weekend to say the least. Can't hide behind the "northern team" excuse - Ohio State & Indiana State aren't in the tropics either. Can't hide behind young players excuse - the Auburn pitcher today is a freshman. He no-hit UConn for 5 innings, he then went to first base and made a great defensive play. UConn??? The fresh SS made two terrible plays to open the food gates formAuburn, got picked off when it was 0-0 and the Huskies were trying to get ahead, oh and the strike out. Hope he can play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom