first round reaction | The Boneyard

first round reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just to get the discussion rolling, some thoughts about UConn's first round game:

-- As expected, two teams that play at very different levels, and it showed right away. Do you maybe think that UConn coaches noticed that Robert Morris passes slowly and sloppily and told their players to watch for steal chances? I don't think I've ever seen a weakness exploited so thoroughly.

-- Boy, did the starters play well. Kia, especially, was at another level throughout the game.

-- The second-string team, not so much, expect for maybe Napheesa, who got lots of points and was opportunistic on the offensive end. If she shows development at the end of this season, it'll give us something really positive to think about in the off-season. Gabby was athletic, and Saniya tossed up some shots, but....

-- Butler still looks disappointingly lost out there. Just really out of sorts, as if she'd been practicing with a different basketball team all these months and found herself at the wrong game today. I really want her to do well, for lots of reasons, but so far, it's not a happenin' thing.

Can't wait for the next game.

Reaction Score
Every time Butler, Chong and Ekmark are out there on the floor late in the game I cringe. They don't play well together. There is no flow to the game when they are in.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Just to get the discussion rolling, some thoughts about UConn's first round game:

-- As expected, two teams that play at very different levels, and it showed right away. Do you maybe think that UConn coaches noticed that Robert Morris passes slowly and sloppily and told their players to watch for steal chances? I don't think I've ever seen a weakness exploited so thoroughly.

-- Boy, did the starters play well. Kia, especially, was at another level throughout the game.

-- The second-string team, not so much, expect for maybe Napheesa, who got lots of points and was opportunistic on the offensive end. If she shows development at the end of this season, it'll give us something really positive to think about in the off-season. Gabby was athletic, and Saniya tossed up some shots, but....

-- Butler still looks disappointingly lost out there. Just really out of sorts, as if she'd been practicing with a different basketball team all these months and found herself at the wrong game today. I really want her to do well, for lots of reasons, but so far, it's not a happenin' thing.

Can't wait for the next game.

To piggy back on your comments...........................

So many observations, where do I start?
1. Those 12 days off did wonders for the team. They began the game like they were shot out of a cannon. Fast break-fast break-fast break. A 20 point lead after 6 minutes gone in the 1st quarter. They made it look easy.
Truly a 1 vs 16 match up.
2. This seemed more like a dress rehearsal than a real competitive NCAA tournament game. This one got away from Robert Morris in a hurry.

3. BOTH teams that play the second game were in the stands watching this one. How optimistic do you think either of them are about playing UConn?
4. Since RM was so over matched, no need for superlatives here. ALL of the starters played well. They got their work done. The bench, as you mentioned not so much. Too many unforced turnovers, and bad shots. There doesn't seem to be any flow or rhythm when the subs are in there. It seemed the bench allowed more points than they scored in the 4th quarter. In the last quarter, RM was getting open looks behind the arc, and hit most of them. They were not getting those looks when the starters were in there.

5. I was very impress with the bounce pass Mo gave to Nurse on a fast break which lead to an assist late in the 3rd quarter, Classic!
6. A very enjoyable game this morning. EVERYONE got in the game. It was very nice to see LOU and Collier get their first taste of NCAA tournament experience. Both played very well.
What a metamorphosis Lou has made from this time last year to now. The scary thing about her is she'll be so much better next season, as the role Stewie now has will probably fall to her. Look for Lou to fully embrace that roll some time in January of next season.

7. DEFENSE is one of the reasons UConn will be hard to beat the rest of the way. If the starters had played the entire game, RM would not have scored 30 points. Constant "in your face" defense will not only wear you down physically, but mentally (psychologically) as well. Its an extremely disciplined athlete that continues to play hard, and go all out when they know there is absolutely no chance of winning the contest.
8. Except for those teams that are playing this morning, ALL of the other WCBB teams watched today's game out of curiosity. After the display that UConn exhibited this morning, I'm guessing that not too many of them would honestly like a crack at the huskies right now. Again I say, NO ONE wants to lose like that, and on national TV no less.

9. Last but not least, the Capital One commercials featuring Sir Charles Barkley, Samuel L. Jackson and Spike Lee are hilarious.

Monday's games should be very interesting. Their next opponent will be more competitive.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Carnac - your #5 is reversed - it was Kia to Moriah on a pinpoint pass at breakneck speed.

Has Uconn ever had a bench that looked good when they were all on the court together?! They all look good usually when they individually get a chance to play with four starters, but put them together as a team and they look very ragged. BIG surprise?!!!:confused: :). Chill on them, they don't know their 'roles' so it looks disjointed and ugly, as it has at the end of almost every game Uconn has played since Geno arrived. The Task force looked pretty ragged in 1999 and 2000 when Sveta and Shea and Kelly were pulled from games, but when they all became starters they sort of learned what they were supposed to do - their roles became defined, they practiced as the first unit and they were OK in 2001 and pretty good by 2002. :cool:

Reaction Score
The "spectacular 7" were in fact, spectacular today. I have to agree with other posters above that Butler looked completely lost when she got the ball - a couple of her shots were atrocious. Turn and go up hard, you're 6'5"!

Reaction Score
If you ever wondered how Custer felt at the Little Big Horn, that feeling was replicated in Robert Morris this morning. Early shooting was off the charts, but the swarming defense was something to behold. Before this tournament is over, it's very possible that the difference between UConn and some worthy opponent will be amazing wall the Huskies create on the opponent's way to the hoop. The sensation may be something like those buzzing flies that drive horses crazy--or bears or turtles or gamecocks or leprechauns. Did you have the sense that this team is on a mission?

Reaction Score
1st time, long time! Reallllly going to miss Stewart & Moriah but Lou and Kia are the real deal. Best game I've seen Nurse play in awhile. She is tough and appears to be a big game player who will provide the leadership going forward. Lou was outstanding and provides offense inside and out. This team is on a mission!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The problems most people face with Uconn's defense, beyond the speed/quickness, intensity, and length is that very few have ever played against a defense that routinely switches on every screen and where the switching player is not then outclassed either in quickness or height. All the offensive sets they try to run are based on the idea that a screen is going to create either an opening or a mismatch and it just doesn't work against Uconn. It is an amazing thing to behold when you center/forwards are on the wing getting deflections and steals against guards and your guards and wings are equally adept at harassing under the basket or in the lane.

The only player Uconn really tries to protect is Moriah as a defender in the paint, so when she is stuck on a much bigger player off the ball, they quickly switch another off ball defender before it can get exploited.

A team like RMU - just the speed quickness and intensity is a problem, but as the tournament goes on, that isn't quite such a shock to the opponents.

Reaction Score
I was there and glad to witness such a great start! As I recall, Moriah hit Nurse with a great fast break pass and shortly afterward, Nurse returned the favor. Great stuff. Tremendous defensive intensity early in the game completely disrupted RMU. As a UConn fan, I enjoy it when they get out to a big lead and I can just enjoy the beauty of their play, since the win is already insured.
On the nits to pick: Eckmark was indecisive and it cost her. Butler, similarly, seemed unsure. It got so the crowd was yelling at her to go for it when she got the ball. They do need to "just do it".
Saw the assistant coaches scouting the next game and the team came out an sat behind them in the second quarter. Those intense, strong, women were watching but also goofing around like kids! Lou was trying to braid Stewies ponytail with Mo slapping her hand away and Brianna pulling out of her grasp. :D Then several spotted family across the way and went over at halftime for hugs. (Amazing that I am almost as tall as Stewie's parents - and I am short.) Heartwarming scene. :)

Reaction Score
If you ever wondered how Custer felt at the Little Big Horn, that feeling was replicated in Robert Morris this morning. (snip)

Best single sentence post on BY in a while!

I got up at 0730 to watch the game at 0800 here in the West. I was cheering LouConn, saying "wow!" several times and then shaking my head at the complete dismantling of RM. Thankfully Geno called off the dogs after a while or it could have been even uglier.

Reaction Score
The "spectacular 7" were in fact, spectacular today. I have to agree with other posters above that Butler looked completely lost when she got the ball - a couple of her shots were atrocious. Turn and go up hard, you're 6'5"!

I find it unfathomable that a 6'5" player with some of the best coaching in college basketball is still incapable of a drop step, either to the left or right. How is it possible she was an impact player in the Big East as a Freshman? Something is definitely wrong with that picture. At this point, she appears totally lacking in confidence; even passing up jump shots that she was making regularly early in the season. My theory is that Butler, Chong and Eckmark are no longer practicing with the first team, since he has obviously already chosen the seven players he is going to trust for the postseason. Any of those three players on the court at this point almost automatically stops the flow of the offense and removes the aggressiveness of the defense. In today's game, it was the worst I have seen that trio play all season; at this point, that shouldn't be happening. Let's hope the chosen seven remain healthy; all of them (yes, Gabby as well) had fantastic games this morning.

Reaction Score
Yes the last three minutes were ugly. All of them looked ragged. They have shown the ability to play well in past games so I think at this point it is more a lack of consistency issue rather than a lack of talent issue. This has happened before as has been mentioned above. Look for them to be noticeably different players next year after the off season prep work for next season.

Reaction Score
I find it unfathomable that a 6'5" player with some of the best coaching in college basketball is still incapable of a drop step, either to the left or right. How is it possible she was an impact player in the Big East as a Freshman? Something is definitely wrong with that picture. At this point, she appears totally lacking in confidence; even passing up jump shots that she was making regularly early in the season. My theory is that Butler, Chong and Eckmark are no longer practicing with the first team, since he has obviously already chosen the seven players he is going to trust for the postseason. Any of those three players on the court at this point almost automatically stops the flow of the offense and removes the aggressiveness of the defense. In today's game, it was the worst I have seen that trio play all season; at this point, that shouldn't be happening. Let's hope the chosen seven remain healthy; all of them (yes, Gabby as well) had fantastic games this morning.
Without overthinking this (and I admit that tournament may cause a player to have a healthy case of the yips) I agree there seems more to this story than simply slow development after an injury. The Big East is a decent league. You don't get to be freshman of the year through underperformance. We've had great hopes for Natalie ever since we heard she was coming. Some people unrealistically thought she was one step away from being Stefanie. Others (myself included) hoped she'd fit in as a serviceable center around whom they could build an offense. All I can suggest is that whatever the staff is doing to help her develop does not seem to be working. Maybe after the three stars are gone (or two, in the unlikely case that Morgan stays), she'll find her role. We can only hope.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I never yell at the players but I did yell at Natalie when she caught the ball in traffic then tried to dribble. She was the tallest player on the court, she just need to turn and shoot. She's overthinking, she just needs to play. Easier said then done, I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom