First Night Scrimmage Rosters | Page 2 | The Boneyard

First Night Scrimmage Rosters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's no way this will ever catch on in too many other places. But if the general public clowns it, who cares. We all know that very few places care about women's basketball the way they do in Storrs.

If the question is whether or not the co-ed game would somehow be a turnoff to recruits (which would be the only tangible way that this could possibly "matter"), I'm guessing that spending 15 minutes carting out national championship trophies probably counteracts whatever negative impact could possibly exist. I also like that they seem to be selective with the dunk contest based on the makeup of the roster. This year's contest should be great.

I also think the whole "college basketball capital of the world" idea is a pretty powerful message. So if we have to "put up" with watching Moriah Jefferson guard Shabazz Napier (which I found entertaining anyway) in order to put that message up on the screen at Gampel for our fans and recruits to see it, so be it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've seen the event pretty much clowned universally on twitter by the non-UConn world, no one is really clamoring for a mixed Midnight Madness/First Night at other schools.
Yep but it's not aimed at them. It's not a bad event at all and gets us on ESPN in the pre-season. The fact that this inherently preaching to choir event gets any publicity at all is a good thing. From what I've seen, I like our first night better than any other schools. It's all good.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The reason it doesn't catch on elsewhere is that UConn - at the present time - is very unique in that it has a recent and steady history of success in both Men's and Women's CBB.
Perhaps Duke, Louisville, Notre Dame and a few others, where the Women's game is starting to really take hold - it will develop.
I reality - UConn is probably the only place where this can be pulled off within the national scene.
I am not a fan of WCBB but this is supposed to be a "fun" thing and a form of entertainment for the fans - I say let it be
Besides too much MLBaseball, college football and soccer going on for me to care
My pinpoint date of interest is the first MBB exhibition game and pray none of the players get hurt before that.

Reaction Score
This was sorta talked about in the "Mojo" thread, but I think we should incorporate the Mac-N-Cheese kid into the first night festivities. Take advantage of his celebrity while we can. Include the restaurant staff as well. The staff can get some sort of half time award. The Mac-N-Cheese kid could get put into a dunk tank (with water). Or we could have a get dunked on contest with him (dunked in the basketball sense).

Reaction Score
Yes they do and I agree it's expected. But "mens fans" are the huge majority of what we're speaking about right? I mean besides Storrs CT and a chosen few others where do they even care about women's basketball enough to enjoy this type of event? Based on my years of going to these from Southington HS for just the men to now, the crowds have been smaller with the combined in relation to capacity. They had just as many people if not more at the mens events when they were on their own as they do with both. I may even guess when the women had their own the same could said? No matter this does not peak interest it just entertains some, and that's fine too.

The UConn women's TV ratings were through the roof last year. That's obviously what I'm talking about.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
God No!
This co-Ed bullcrap has got to go, it's a joke plain & simple. Last years scrimmage was laughable at best. The women have no place on the court with the men, what a let down, smh

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This was sorta talked about in the "Mojo" thread, but I think we should incorporate the Mac-N-Cheese kid into the first night festivities. Take advantage of his celebrity while we can. Include the restaurant staff as well. The staff can get some sort of half time award. The Mac-N-Cheese kid could get put into a dunk tank (with water). Or we could have a get dunked on contest with him (dunked in the basketball sense).

Pretty sure that Luke Gatti will never set foot on university property ever again.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Those teams kick major .

Recruits will see serious college hoops talent on one floor. And the comment above about being family...oh yeah.

No need for maugativity people. Please.

Anyone see what I did there?

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Yeah, it's ruining the integrity of the fake exhibition scrimmage.

Huh? Nah man, no integrity issues here, it's just hard making a boring exhibition even worse. But by all means Kaitlin, go ahead and tell me more about what I was thinking.

Reaction Score
Huh? Nah man, no integrity issues here, it's just hard making a boring exhibition even worse. But by all means Kaitlin, go ahead and tell me more about what I was thinking.

caveman_computer.jpg

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Any recruits at First Night?
I'm assuming we'll see the Rivals guys (Makai ashton langford et al) and probably Mamadou and Hamidou.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This thread is cringe-worthy. Fair enough if it's simply not your cup of tea but for those saying the women don't "belong" on the same floor as the men in a meaningless scrimmage need to get a grip.

First Night is about school pride, the unity of the UCONN family, and getting the fans (mostly the students) hyped for the upcoming season. We should celebrate the fact we have the unique ability to hold such an event. It's mainly for the fans and recruits in attendance and students on campus. It's not billed as some television mega event. If you want more "entertainment" on First Night, go to Louisville for some cheap hookers and booze.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
This thread is cringe-worthy. Fair enough if it's simply not your cup of tea but for those saying the women don't "belong" on the same floor as the men in a meaningless scrimmage need to get a grip.

First Night is about school pride, the unity of the UCONN family, and getting the fans (mostly the students) hyped for the upcoming season. We should celebrate the fact we have the unique ability to hold such an event. It's mainly for the fans and recruits in attendance and students on campus. It's not billed as some television mega event. If you want more "entertainment" on First Night, go to Louisville for some cheap hookers and booze.

Nothing to get worked up about. It's a small handful of men's fans who have some weird antipathy towards the women's program. Maybe they want to be the only show in town and don't want anyone else getting attention? Gotta love the time-honored UConn tradition of only rooting for a certain sport and hating all others.

Reaction Score
Nothing to get worked up about. It's a small handful of men's fans who have some weird antipathy towards the women's program. Maybe they want to be the only show in town and don't want anyone else getting attention? Gotta love the time-honored UConn tradition of only rooting for a certain sport and hating all others.

I'm sure there are no haters. I believe its more a matter of affinity and anxiously wanting to see competitive play. I would bet that every men's fan celebrated or at least were happy every time the women won the Championship and are proud of what they have accomplished. As for me I grew up in an age were women's sports were not that popular, and my daughters not playing competitive sports, so its been harder for me to adjust and appreciated (and watch for that matter).

Just saying I just can't wait to see this group of men play and will have just to wait till after first night (its all good).

ECr7-EkWEhDOMoAizF4rwHfHnvk_

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I'm sure there are no haters. I believe its more a matter of affinity and anxiously wanting to see competitive play. I would bet that every men's fan celebrated or at least were happy every time the women won the Championship and are proud of what they have accomplished. As for me I grew up in an age were women's sports were not that popular, and my daughters not playing competitive sports, so its been harder for me to adjust and appreciated (and watch for that matter).

Just saying I just can't wait to see this group of men play and will have just to wait till after first night (its all good).

ECr7-EkWEhDOMoAizF4rwHfHnvk_

No disrespect Kita, but I do think that there are haters. There are MBB fans who are jealous every time Geno gets attention, who wish that it could be the men with 10 titles and the women with 4. For them, UConn athletics = men's basketball, and anything that gets in the way of that image upsets them.

Reaction Score
I love it...all the uconn greatness videos and all...we are the basketball capital 14 titles....just learn to accept it because it's never going to change

Reaction Score
The UConn women's TV ratings were through the roof last year. That's obviously what I'm talking about.

Problem was the discussion wasn't about their ratings but instead about how it will catch on everywhere else where they have no women ratings on TV. I know we have a special women's program and they love it here in CT, it's not the same anywhere else unless maybe a handful at best. Shared First Nights are going to start lighting up everywhere that's the point here.

Reaction Score
No disrespect Kita, but I do think that there are haters. There are MBB fans who are jealous every time Geno gets attention, who wish that it could be the men with 10 titles and the women with 4. For them, UConn athletics = men's basketball, and anything that gets in the way of that image upsets them.

I think "haters" is the furthest thing from reality. I think there are some fans who really like the players, the team and even Geno. I think the fans who are out of touch with reality make some things difficult to adore from their end. There is a sense of entitlement, just not in Storrs mind you, but in their sport and world. I root like hell for them, admittedly watch the 6-7 games a year I know may be close. Other than that, it's just not the same thing to me, just me maybe but it's not. That's the separation, still are UCONN and hope they win but I'm not losing any sleep if they don't.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Stairmaster said:

I'm not a hater so much the women are obviously amazing, but I will absolutely cop to having the wish that the men had 10 titles and the women 4. And anyone else in their right mind wanting the best for the university would take that trade too. If the men's program had 10 titles, somehow I think we wouldn't have been left out in the CR frozen tundra.

Reaction Score
A scrimmage between all men's players would likely assume the same form we see now with the co-ed scrimmage with a lot of dunks and little defense. Obviously, I would prefer a ten or fifteen minute blood bath where everybody plays at game speed but that's just not what happens at these sort of events so there is really no harm in combining the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom