First Night Scrimmage Rosters | The Boneyard

First Night Scrimmage Rosters

Status
Not open for further replies.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
12132932_102218433470693_1420968878_n.jpg

Posted to Instagram by UConn, seem pretty even to me. Who wins team Kevin or team Geno? I'm a slight Kevin lean.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Kevin has four men's starters, Geno has one. However, Geno has the "Silver Fox". So we shall see...

Reaction Score
They really need to come up with another way to make this interesting. Perhaps skills challenge (relay type) or something similar. Or let the teams play men vs men and women vs women representing their respective squads.

This isn't really a scrimmage, the men are holding back unless its an open dunk. In fact they look more awkward than skilled. Just weird and only mildly entertaining.

Reaction Score
They really need to come up with another way to make this interesting. Perhaps skills challenge (relay type) or something similar. Or let the teams play men vs men and women vs women representing their respective squads.

This isn't really a scrimmage, the men are holding back unless its an open dunk. In fact they look more awkward than skilled. Just weird and only mildly entertaining.

What they really need to do is go back to separate. That's the best solution.

Reaction Score
I guess I'm the only one who enjoys the co-ed scrimmage. Really don't think they should get rid of it

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I guess I'm the only one who enjoys the co-ed scrimmage. Really don't think they should get rid of it
I like it too. Mo Jeff and Boat taking turns trying to break each other's ankles was a lot of fun.

Reaction Score

It's obviously just an exhibition and based on the First Night atmosphere in Gampel these past two years, the fans seem to like it just fine.

Did you really suggest that a relay type skills challenge would be more entertaining? Have you watched the NBA skills challenge? Watching Sterling Gibbs and Moriah Jefferson throw bounce passes into a tire is not entertainment.

Reaction Score
I wasn't a fan of the co-ed scrimmage idea at first, but I've actually really enjoyed it both times.

I'd prefer if the two nights were separate, but I've come around on the combined first night. UConn's literally the only place in the country where both teams have a ton of interest - why not highlight that?

The only knock I have about last year's First Night is the lack of dunk contest, and they're bringing it back this year.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

What they really need to do is go back to separate. That's the best solution.

Disagree. I like the scrimmage for two primary reasons:

1) It promotes everything that UConn basketball is all about... UConn is family. It shows that the men's and women's teams are unified. That's something that was lacking while Calhoun was here, but I'm glad Kevin and Geno made it work.

2)If you have the men scrimmage the men, they're more likely to go all out to make an impressive dunk and get hurt, IMO. Playing with the women certainly makes them hold back, and that's a good thing. In the end, we just want everyone coming away healthy. We'll have plenty of time seeing them for our entertainment value during the season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm fine with it. It's pleasant and fun, which is all it intends to be. Now, if Hamilton throw an ally-oop to Stewart for a dunk, that would actually be entertaining.

Reaction Score
Disagree. I like the scrimmage for two primary reasons:

1) It promotes everything that UConn basketball is all about... UConn is family. It shows that the men's and women's teams are unified. That's something that was lacking while Calhoun was here, but I'm glad Kevin and Geno made it work.

2)If you have the men scrimmage the men, they're more likely to go all out to make an impressive dunk and get hurt, IMO. Playing with the women certainly makes them hold back, and that's a good thing. In the end, we just want everyone coming away healthy. We'll have plenty of time seeing them for our entertainment value during the season.

UConn family is obvious we have never needed the women in the same gym to promote that for either side. Jim Calhoun is the reason there is family and the fact he didn't go goo goo over Geno is fine, they aren't the same people. JC has the best "family" situation in probably all of mens college basketball still to this day at UConn - nothing was lacking. I'm happy KO and Geno get along, but it means nothing to either of their teams or in the homes of recruits.

As far as getting hurt just like they always talk about in football, when you aren't giving 110% and you're just trying not get hurt there's a better chance you will. Getting ready to go in for a fun high flying dunk and all of a sudden seeing you may hurt "someone" and suddenly backing off has more risk I would imagine.

I've been there, it's no even fun to watch from my perspective. Kumbaya is all fun and dandy but this to me is not the place or the time.

As an FYI I'm good with your opinions if you like this event. Just not me

Reaction Score
Mau, this event is going to catch on nationally, eventually. People will start wanting to tune in to see it. Mixed boys and girls game, it will have a lot of appeal. I can't tell you how many times young girls in other sports have seen my UConn gear up here in western NY and talked about the women's team. Soccer, softball, a 10 year old girl has something to say about the UConn women. They are like the US Soccer women. So, this isn't going to appeal to the average men's bball fan, but I think it has staying power and eventually will become a national event with lots of eyeballs.

Reaction Score
While it would never have happened, it's fun to imagine how a co-ed game in the '90's w/ JC coaching against Geno would have gone down. That could have gotten interesting...

Reaction Score
Mau, this event is going to catch on nationally, eventually. People will start wanting to tune in to see it. Mixed boys and girls game, it will have a lot of appeal. I can't tell you how many times young girls in other sports have seen my UConn gear up here in western NY and talked about the women's team. Soccer, softball, a 10 year old girl has something to say about the UConn women. They are like the US Soccer women. So, this isn't going to appeal to the average men's bball fan, but I think it has staying power and eventually will become a national event with lots of eyeballs.

No it won't. Sorry no shot, the only one's interested would 10 yr old girls and well, women's fans. I get there are a few of you too, but if you've been there and really love basketball this has little to no entertainment value other than the "family" stuff which is great.

Reaction Score

I've seen the event pretty much clowned universally on twitter by the non-UConn world, no one is really clamoring for a mixed Midnight Madness/First Night at other schools.

Reaction Score
I've seen the event pretty much clowned universally on twitter by the non-UConn world, no one is really clamoring for a mixed Midnight Madness/First Night at other schools.

Men's college bball fans clown it.

That's expected.

And no, I don't watch women's college bball. In fact, I didn't even watch the CG last year.

Reaction Score
Men's college bball fans clown it.

That's expected.

And no, I don't watch women's college bball. In fact, I didn't even watch the CG last year.

Yes they do and I agree it's expected. But "mens fans" are the huge majority of what we're speaking about right? I mean besides Storrs CT and a chosen few others where do they even care about women's basketball enough to enjoy this type of event? Based on my years of going to these from Southington HS for just the men to now, the crowds have been smaller with the combined in relation to capacity. They had just as many people if not more at the mens events when they were on their own as they do with both. I may even guess when the women had their own the same could said? No matter this does not peak interest it just entertains some, and that's fine too.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No it won't. Sorry no shot, the only one's interested would 10 yr old girls and well, women's fans. I get there are a few of you too, but if you've been there and really love basketball this has little to no entertainment value other than the "family" stuff which is great.
Nice to know I've changed gender (neutral on this) and age (would love it)!

Personally I enjoy this format. I recognize others won't. I also loved when it was held on two nights. I have a slight preference to the separate format but not enough to be disappointed with the current one.

I strongly doubt this will be universally applied @upstater. But I would't doubt that one or two other universities that have strong men's and women's bb programs might try it.

Regardless, this format is a statement. No other university has won men's and women's bb championships the same year. UConn has won it twice. Let the envious fans supporting other programs poke fun. The vast majority of them would only wish they could have that type of duel success at their university. This format sticks it to them.

Besides the players and coaches appear to really enjoy it. That's the most important thing imo. We fans can go suck duck*ing bacon jalapeno mac and cheese if it bothers us.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Christian Foxen. I'm trying to get the nickname to catch on.
You sly fox! Hope you have more success than I did with the spotted dick.

Reaction Score
Fair enough but how can we take it serious coming from you jalapeño breath? I mean you have spotted dick and can't think straight.

Reaction Score
I'm not a big women's bb fan, but I kinda like the coed scrimmage. I can't say it's particularly exciting, but it's unique. I like the uniqueness. I also don't think the rest of the world understands UCONN family like we do. Like our players do. I don't mind a little extra promotion of it.

pj

Reaction Score
While it would never have happened, it's fun to imagine how a co-ed game in the '90's w/ JC coaching against Geno would have gone down. That could have gotten interesting...

If JC was coaching against Geno, it would have been men vs women, and the score would be 70-7, all girls points on free throws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom