First Night 2013: This is UConn Basketball (Video) | The Boneyard

First Night 2013: This is UConn Basketball (Video)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thank you for posting this. Awesome video. Great stories, well told.

Reaction Score
I loved Facey's dunk at 1:57. Very Stanley Robinson-esque scream

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The NCAA has had Facey's issue in front of them for more than 90 days.

The longer this goes on, the better the chance that they blow him up.

Reaction Score
The NCAA has had Facey's issue in front of them for more than 90 days.

The longer this goes on, the better the chance that they blow him up.

What is the "worst case" again? He gets to play about the same time that KO is ready to submit his retirement papers? :(

GO HUSKIES!!!
conn-12-mast-left-m-baskbl.png

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What is the "worst case" again? He gets to play about the same time that KO is ready to submit his retirement papers?

The worst case is actually pretty bad - he can lose two years of eligibility and be forced to sit out this season.

Reaction Score
The worst case is actually pretty bad - he can lose two years of eligibility and be forced to sit out this season.
UConn better be prepared to fight like hell if that happens.

I know it's apples to oranges, but UNC literally made up classes for athletes to take ... and got no punishment whatsoever. Facey might lose eligibility for scoring highly on a test in freakin' Jamaica.

Seems a little out of whack to me.

Reaction Score

Wow! So, if it goes down that way, he's left with two years? I don't get it. I don't follow this stuff that closely because it's like banging my head against the wall. But I haven't read anything anywhere about this young man that doesn't show him to be anything but a solid citizen and a good student. What is to be gained by The Defenders of the Faith beating up on him like that? And by the way tcf15, that video has me ready to lace them up at 67 years old!!! Stellar job!!! That video is definitely "ten toes in"!!

GO HUSKIES!!!

Uconn-Huskies-Logo-Word-Mark_preview.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm still confused by this delayed enrollment nonsense and how it applies to an international test in Jamaica. If he passed said test, why is long island lutheran enabling him to be a student? They must have seen it fit for him to enroll as a junior @ 18, and as Duffy noted what other options were there for the kid ? Feel like the ncaa turns into tracy when a potential uconn issue materializes, they'll scour the earth for scraps.

Reaction Score
UConn can appeal the decision of the NCAA eligibility center and take it to the membership committee

Of course, that committee only meets twice a year, and they just met last week...and the next time they want to go to this place that makes awesome crab cakes after and it closes at 8, plus traffic is bad at that time of night, so they're not sure they can get to it.

Reaction Score
I'm still confused by this delayed enrollment nonsense and how it applies to an international test in Jamaica. If he passed said test, why is long island lutheran enabling him to be a student? They must have seen it fit for him to enroll, unless the ncaa is suggesting its a corrupt institution. Feel like the ncaa turns into tracy when a potential uconn issue materializes, they'll scour the earth for scraps

The NCAA views a test taken by 16 year olds in the British school system as making them high school graduates. Is that absurd? Sure. Would any sane person look at it that way? No, of course not. Are we dealing with the NCAA? Yes.

I'll give the NCAA this, they've applied this particular stupidity to screw athletes across the board, it's not just us.

Blow it up.

Reaction Score
The NCAA views a test taken by 16 year olds in the British school system as making them high school graduates. Is that absurd? Sure. Would any sane person look at it that way? No, of course not. Are we dealing with the NCAA? Yes.

I'll give the NCAA this, they've applied this particular stupidity to screw athletes across the board, it's not just us.

Blow it up.
The more I read the more I worry. Tons of kids stripped of years of eligibility. I feel like this happens all the time, but it's maybe easier to notice the international ones. Plenty of kids stay back a year upon transferring to a prep school, especially for hoops.

Reaction Score
The more I read the more I worry. Tons of kids stripped of years of eligibility. I feel like this happens all the time, but it's maybe easier to notice the international ones. Plenty of kids stay back a year upon transferring to a prep school, especially for hoops.

Yup, and the NCAA gives you 1 free year between what should be your last yr of high school and your freshman year. But if you take a test in the British system at age 16 that free year starts immediately and you're screwed ever after. Really screwed. Makes sense, right?

Reaction Score
Last 30 seconds the video hits its peak, right around the 4:30 mark. I guess I'd call it post modern

Reaction Score
It seems to me that the NCAA rule that could hurt Facey is sound, but can be misapplied. Kids should not be allowed to delay their recruitment until they are older and stronger. But, they ought to be able to rely on legitimate educational institutions and the NCAA should not use a test as a measuring device when passing the test doesn't equate to
being ready for a US college. If 16 year old Facey couldn't go to college, his clock should not be found to have started.
I think there is no chance the rule is corrected, especially in connection with a UConn student's case. We have to hope the decision is that based on his school's assessment of his readiness instead of the test. Sorry, I am not optimistic. The injustice of this treatment of the female athlete at Harvard seems too similar.
http://www.hoopsfix.com/2012/01/ncaa-gets-british-education-system-wrong/

Reaction Score
So now that the NCAA "cracked down" on Miami, I believe Kentan Facey's eligibility moves up one spot in the queue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom