Fanta quotes unnamed high major coach on the portal | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Fanta quotes unnamed high major coach on the portal

Reaction Score
This. When Shabazz first came out with the literal bomb that he was often hungry, that really stung me and I'm sure many others. We still haven't come anywhere close to full circle but for me, I'll stand with the players. The growing pains are not their fault. Maybe the very well paid NCAA execs will have to hold more hard labor lunches to sort it all out.
You actually believe Shabazz was going to bed starving? Lolz

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Dan Hurley likely benefits from the chaos because it allows him to be the outlier keeping half his team every year, and gives him the option to take in pointed highly skilled transfers and he doesn’t mind the extra work. The fact he has speaking out against it shows just how bad it’s gotten. Half the players switch teams? The kids aren’t learning how to overcome obstacles they’re just running from them.

Reaction Score
I just wish someone would cut the power to your Mom's basement....leaving you in the dark with no computer access.
It's such an obvious troll. Why people continue to give him attention is beyond me.

Reaction Score
UConn will be on the wrong end eventually!
Exactly. We are on the fun side of the Portal game, winning championships and practically hand picking whoever fits best for us. I see some of these teams losing their star players and it reminds me that if this happened when I was a kid I may not have gotten to be a fan of Corny Thompson or Earl Kelly because they would have moved on to greener pastures.

Oh well, everything changes...

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Exactly. We are on the fun side of the Portal game, winning championships and practically hand picking whoever fits best for us. I see some of these teams losing their star players and it reminds me that if this happened when I was a kid I may not have gotten to be a fan of Corny Thompson or Earl Kelly because they would have moved on to greener pastures.

Oh well, everything changes...
Athletes leave for greener pastures. Nothing else.

Most seem to leave for better development/showcase. NIL is incidental. More important for players who will not make a jump to pro ball.

Develop your players. Give them the minutes they earn. Then there is nothing to fear from the portal.

pj

Reaction Score
You actually believe Shabazz was going to bed starving? Lolz

It just shows what a great athlete he was. Even during starvation, he could beat everybody else at basketball.

Reaction Score
It waters down the mid-major ranks for sure because it consolidates talent at the high major level. For the average fan that watches only high major games until tourney time, it’s pretty clearly a better product.
Basically, the mid-majors now have to plan and build their roster like top 10 programs of old, who operate as feeder programs for the NBA.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The portal is perfect the way it is. College basketball is a job, coaches leave whenever they want, players should have the same rights, and I’d love to hear anyone explain why that shouldn’t be the case?

Reaction Score
The portal is perfect the way it is. College basketball is a job, coaches leave whenever they want, players should have the same rights, and I’d love to hear anyone explain why that shouldn’t be the case?
Should players have contracts with buyouts if they want to leave before the contract expires?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
"Perfect the way it is" would imply you think that the portal should open while the NCAA Tourney is being played.

Even folks who defend player freedom of movement think that's dumb.

Reaction Score
I understand the theory, but I don't necessarily buy it. Sure, it's easier for a really good player at a mid-major to transfer, but it's not like those players didn't transfer before. And there are also talented players that are getting recruited over at bigger schools that trickle down to those lower programs and end up developing into really good players.

Maybe it hurts them a little, but overall I don't think the impact is big enough to say the overall product is watered down.
I’m not sure it ultimately leads to a better product. In some ways for most teams it is similar to loading up with 1-done guys. When Kentucky won it all there were all sorts of analyses about how it was the “new” reality and teams would now have to bring in multiple 1 year wonders to win. It turned out that having experienced players was really important most of the time. You could slide in a player or 2 but if you are in total rebuild mode every year you might be good but will struggle to win at the highest level. I think we saw that last year and again this year. Having some continuity is at least helpful and arguably critical. Bringing in a couple of pieces is a normal part of the college game as is having 6th man types move into starting roles. Bringing in 4-5 key guys isn’t. I think we saw a lot of “disjointed” play that didn’t have a solid core.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom