Exit 68 Sign | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Exit 68 Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

Reaction Score
DOT is looking to change the sign design to allow for the numbers to more easily updated each year.

D

Deleted member 3149

I heard they're just gonna wait until we repeat with Rodney Purvis

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I drove by that exit (i actually exitted since i live in storrs) and honestly forgot to look at the sign. I was too busy looking across the highway to make sure the Electric Blue hadn't been closed down.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Why doesn't someone just take this sign and put some masking tape over the 0?

SignI84.jpg

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
As of 15 minutes ago, the sign still says "2013", wonder when they will update it. I have a feeling they are doing something different this year than the usual monotonous blue and white text on a sign.

Reaction Score
I'm back to work tomorrow after the week off:(. I drive right by the sign. If they updated it the afternoon of Easter Sunday I'll let you guys know.

Reaction Score
I'm back to work tomorrow after the week off:(. I drive right by the sign. If they updated it the afternoon of Easter Sunday I'll let you guys know.
They didn't! I drove by last night :)

Actually when I thought about it as I drove by, I thought about what a shame it is that the new sign will probably only be up for one year before the women win again.

But I guess that's kind of a good thing too. The men's team always has to be looking forward because that sign is never gonna be there very long.

Reaction Score
You're a .
So which part do you take exception with ? The fact that you will often times drive by a work site where state employees are routinely standing around, or that he referred to them as "scumbags" ?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
So which part do you take exception with ? The fact that you will often times drive by a work site where state employees are routinely standing around, or that he referred to them as "scumbags" ?

The scumbags part. Calling somebody a "scumbag" because of their job title is douchey. Why don't I just call all salesmen "scumbags?" Or all accountants? Or all doctors? Or all lawyers? Oh, wait, I wouldn't because that's douchey.

And fwiw I routinely drive by private projects, whether they be construction sites, the building of a new home, or whatever, where private sector employees are just standing around. Are they all "scumbags" too? Or do you have to be employed by the State to qualify for that title?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The scumbags part. Calling somebody a "scumbag" because of their job title is douchey. Why don't I just call all salesmen "scumbags?" Or all accountants? Or all doctors? Or all lawyers? Oh, wait, I wouldn't because that's douchey.

And fwiw I routinely drive by private projects, whether they be construction sites, the building of a new home, or whatever, where private sector employees are just standing around. Are they all "scumbags" too? Or do you have to be employed by the State to qualify for that title?

The difference in private vs state - who's paying them???
If we are paying them we can comment

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Are you sure we can't find a way to blame Obama for this? Or maybe FDR?
Obama is on vacation playing golf - he don't care about anything

MattMang23

Reaction Score

That's not the point. My point is calling an entire group of people "scumbags" because they draw their salary from taxes is douchey.

To drive by a worksite and assume you know what's going on there because of the five seconds you drove by is moronic. You're entitled to complain and comment. You're also entitled to be ignorant and a for doing it and I am entitled to call that out.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Most DPW jobs are not part-time. They get paid whether they are on site, or in the garage. Just like you get paid whether you are entering a formula into an Excel cell or posting on the Boneyard. I'd venture to guess that your job description did not include ripping Public Works on a chat wall...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
gtcam said:

Not to pop the prevailing thought balloon that paying taxes gives you some level of operational control over public service employees, but it doesn't. At least not any more than buying poorly manufactured goods from Wal-Mart gives you a say in who is running the register.

In both cases John Q. is the consumer He has the right to bitch to whomever will listen or take their business (residency) elsewhere, but that's about it.

A consumer berating a worker without cause is usually asked to leave. John Public isn't burdened with that option.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Not to pop the prevailing thought balloon that paying taxes gives you some level of operational control over public service employees, but it doesn't. At least not any more than buying poorly manufactured goods from Wal-Mart gives you a say in who is running the register.

In both cases John Q. is the consumer He has the right to bitch to whomever will listen or take their business (residency) elsewhere, but that's about it.

A consumer berating a worker without cause is usually asked to leave. John Public isn't burdened with that option.

Exactly my argument, but I am not nearly articulate enough to have stated it that way. Thank you.

arch

Reaction Score

Well said, except the lawyer part.

Reaction Score
Drove by yesterday (Friday) on the way to the annual Accounting Department awards dinner. No change in sign. State new budget year starts July 1. Maybe that's the change date. Obviously had to stop by the co-op while on campus and left a wad of money after shopping for championship gear for kids, grandkids (and me).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom